Wittmeister's Feature List

Started by Sir Lüc, December 04, 2019, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lüc

I'm using this post to keep track of feature requests and to announce progress on stuff.

NOTE: This is all frontend stuff. Administration and the like are under the direction of the Chancery.

Completed features [some of what has been completed since the opening, excluding minor tweaks]:
- Weekly backup function for the Royal Archivist
- "New" icons for boards on mobile - requested by Ian P - Now the "WittGlobe" icons should be visible on mobile.
- "Latest 59" - requested by Miestrâ - The link has been added to the top navigation bar
- Avatar size restriction change - requested by Eðo - Avatars are now only restricted to 100px in width
- Video embed - requested by Miestrâ - Just type a link to a video inline and Witt will do the rest. Supported websites: a ton, including YT, FB (video, image and post), Twitch, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Instagram, any remote direct URL, ESPN, Reuters, Vine, Streamable, Soundcloud, Imgur...
- User tagging in posts - Just type @ and the display name of an user.
- Light theme - You can now select between a dark and a light theme. Go to your profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout to try it out.
- "Like" feature - requested by Miestrâ - Will probably still be tweaked a bit
- Table improvements and additional HTML-style tags - requested by various people - Check out this post
- Shoutbox - requested by Ian P - The unofficial Discord is embedded on the bottom of the website
- Tapatalk integration
- Anti-forum crash PHP kill cronjob

Wishlist of features:
- CSS tweaks - ongoing tweaking of the interface for Light and Dark themes, as I notice (mostly minor) flaws
- Tweaks to the mobile version (especially the navbar)
- Better tagging - username tagging has been abandoned, but I'd still like to improve the tagging function a bit
- Icon overhaul - replace stock icons for post editing, emojis, etc.
- "Colourful" theme (probably Bicoloreu themed variant of the Light theme)
- "Legacy" theme (mimicking Proboards for PB nostalgics)
- Newsletter - figuring out how to use the forum newsletter function
- WYSIWYG editor - the inbuilt one is a bit buggy
- Mention-style notifications for liked and quoted posts
- Talossan translation of the interface (will need collaboration with Ladintschen) - this is in progress on Github
- Exploring a different Discord integrator for the Shoutbox
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Eðo Grischun

Sorry to be a pain.  I've linked to my old heraldic avatar and it's showing up skewed and squashed.  Is this something that can be tweaked?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Ėovart Grischun on December 04, 2019, 06:36:55 AM
Sorry to be a pain.  I've linked to my old heraldic avatar and it's showing up skewed and squashed.  Is this something that can be tweaked?

I'm looking into it. It seems to be hardcoded by the forum software to a 65x65 size, so it won't be as easy as editing some CSS, so I'll have to do some delving.

Edit: whoops, for once it was a matter of editing the actual settings. Fixed now to max 100 width, unbounded height.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Two things:
1. The link on the website should probably be changed.
2. Because every board is monitored by an officeholder of some kind where applicable, and these are the people to whom those with initial complaints about a post should address themselves (per Lex.J.2), then we should probably list the person(s) in question on each board's description.  For example, the Dean of the College of Arms for that board.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

Ian Plätschisch

I do not see the Witt globes on mobile

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on December 04, 2019, 08:48:02 AM
Two things:
2. Because every board is monitored by an officeholder of some kind where applicable, and these are the people to whom those with initial complaints about a post should address themselves (per Lex.J.2), then we should probably list the person(s) in question on each board's description.  For example, the Dean of the College of Arms for that board.

1. If you mean the Witt link on talossa.com, that isn't under my purview.

2. Yup, I will definitely do that once people start registering. (Actually, hopefully moderators get listed automatically, I haven't checked that yet)
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Lüc on December 04, 2019, 06:46:16 AM
Quote from: Ėovart Grischun on December 04, 2019, 06:36:55 AM

I'm looking into it. It seems to be hardcoded by the forum software to a 65x65 size, so it won't be as easy as editing some CSS, so I'll have to do some delving.

Edit: whoops, for once it was a matter of editing the actual settings. Fixed now to max 100 width, unbounded height.

You're a champion.  THANKS!
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on December 04, 2019, 08:54:56 AM
Not sure how to help you on this, sadly. It works for me. I'd tell you to clear your cache so that the CSS is refreshed but I wouldn't know how to do that on mobile off the top of my head.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Sir Lüc

We now have a light theme which you can enable from your profile settings, if you so prefer.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Lüc on December 04, 2019, 09:02:51 AM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on December 04, 2019, 08:54:56 AM
Not sure how to help you on this, sadly. It works for me. I'd tell you to clear your cache so that the CSS is refreshed but I wouldn't know how to do that on mobile off the top of my head.
I did this and now it works, thanks

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Lüc on December 04, 2019, 09:01:09 AM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on December 04, 2019, 08:48:02 AM

1. If you mean the Witt link on talossa.com, that isn't under my purview.

My belief is that the Witt link should be changed once The Switch officially happens. ETA: and we're only at 21 signups, less than half the way there, so it may be weeks.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Ha ha, now my arms are being squashed the other way - but only at the top of the page! It was round before.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Would it be possible to have an "edit count" function?  IE, a tag regarding the number of times a post has been edited?
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito