News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Ian Tamoran steps back a little

Started by Ián Tamorán S.H., April 01, 2020, 03:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ián Tamorán S.H.

I said, a while ago, that before the end of March I would write, and publish, a detailed description of my thinking in and about the most recent Cort case for which I sat on the bench. Well, good friends, I break my promise. And I apologise.

I am in one of the most vulnerable groups, being in real danger should I catch Covid-19 (I have only about a 4 in 5 chance of surviving). Hence I am completely locked down here at home, staying utterly clear of everyone, except for my darling – and very patient – wife. And, good fellow citizens of this noble nation, it pains me to remind you that there are more important things in life than the onerous burdens of careful official thought here. You may have noticed that I proudly announce myself to be a philosopher, and so I am – and by long experience I have learned that philosophy and careful thought cannot be a rushed affair, but must be given time and space in which to be examined from all sides.

And, even though I am nearly 75 Earth years old [I have calendars that tell me my age in Mars years, and Venus phases, and I wot not else!], I am very busy – busy with the things I simply must finish before I pass on, things which no-one else can do. Someone else can examine my past postings here both in and outside the Cort, and draw conclusions on what I might have meant or could have been thinking – but no-one else can finish writing the music I am writing, or planning the rest of the (long) book I am writing. Someone else can persuade Talossa to enter the twenty-first century and use metric measures (and UTC?) as very nearly every other country in the world does [aircraft hight being measured in feet is absurd – and that will, and must, change!] – but no-one else can be grandfather to my grandchildren, can finish writing for them the stories I have started... I have already written and published two books for children, but I need to finish my third one (currently in progress). I want them to remember me.

I have no doubt that you too, my Talossan friends, and those who come to this nation after me, will remember or (just sometimes) mention me; and I have no intention of disappearing totally just yet – I enjoy life, and want to hang on to it as long as I can... but, being realistic, "as long as I can" is not very long.

From other postings you will have learned by now that I have resigned as the most senior Justice. I no longer have the concentrated time that is needed to put my real mental efforts into that interesting – and important – office. Time is, alas, our one finite resource.

But still you will see me lurking in corners of our chambers, and abroad in our highways, and popping up from time to time to make a suggestions, or crack a joke, or throw a stone when I see some bad logic, or hatred, or impoliteness – but you will not see me doing any official business. You will see me, and maybe hear me, on some of our real-time meetings (whatever did we do before Skype and Zoom and Facetime??) and I can explain face to face (if you ask, and if you are interested!) what I was thinking about – what I am thinking about, and what my opinions are.

Thank you all for being who you are. Let's carry on having fun together.
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

Viteu

SJ Tamoran,

Thank you for your tremendous service to the Judiciary. You were a valued member of the Uppermost Cort and, notwithstanding anything else, strived to encompass civility and excellence in your role as Justice.  You will be missed, and I am saddened that I will not get to work with you on the Cort.  We contrast in our understanding of justice, but you always maintained the air of deocrum and reverence for differing opinions and arguments. Emulating your respect for all litigants is something I will strive to emulate in my role as Justice. I appreciate your contributions and time and look forward to your future endeavors in Talossa.

Stay healthy and, importantly, stay sane in these times.

Regards,

V
Viteu Marcianüs
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort

Former FreeDem (Vote PRESENT)

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Ián Tamorán S.H. on April 01, 2020, 03:41:48 PM
Someone else can persuade Talossa to enter the twenty-first century and use metric measures (and UTC?) as very nearly every other country in the world does [aircraft hight being measured in feet is absurd – and that will, and must, change!]
This has in fact already been done (minus the UTC part)

Açafat del Val

Best wishes to your health, your family, your endeavors, and more. There is no doubt that you are a kind soul, sir.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms