News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Concession & Semi-Retirement

Started by Ian Plätschisch, February 01, 2023, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

Well, that did not go great.

I don't understand why a party that thinks King John's activity level is acceptable or "trending up" in any meaningful way is getting 106 seats.

I don't understand why a party that thinks more bureaucracy and reports is a part of the solution to the Kingdom's ills is getting 106 seats.

But I do understand why a party with a legitimately active and enthusiastic team of contributors is getting 106 seats. Most of what a Government does day-to-day is not particularly legislative; rather, it's a series of largely uncontroversial projects that just require energy. And if the TNC has one thing, it's energy. I'm honestly a bit excited to see what the TNC can do (it helps that the FreeDems and our allies still have a Senate majority  :) ).

Unfortunately, if there is one thing I am running low on, it's energy for Talossa. Don't worry, I'll still be around to run all the TMT20s you can stand, and I'll still be in the Senate (I realized recently that once my current term expires at the end of the 59th Cosa, I will have surpassed the esteemed Ián von Metáiriâ as the longest-serving Senator from Maritiimi-Maxhestic). But my time as a major political figure in Talossa has come to an end.

I have been in some sort of political leadership position ever since the end of the 48th Cosa (December 2015), 1/3 of my life ago. During that span, I have variously been Prime Minister, Distain, Minister of STUFF, Minister of Finance, Minister of Immigration, Leader of the Opposition, Community Jurist, member of four different political parties, magazine publisher, essayist, election prognosticator, and probably some other things I can't remember.

By no means is this anywhere close to the longest or most distinguished career in Talossan society. But, it is long and distinguished enough for me to be satisfied with my contributions and comfortable taking a step back.

Talossa has taught me lessons about leadership, management, teamwork, communication, Microsoft Publisher, etc. that I will probably carry with me for the rest of my life. It has been preparation for a lot of things I am heavily involved with now; remote work, being Chairman of my local chapter of the Libertarian Party, seriously considering running for city council in a few years, and various other civic and social engagements. Looking at this list of commitments, though, I can't devote the same bandwidth to Talossa that I used to.

So, best of luck to the TNC, long live the King, long live Talossa, make sure to nominate songs released since October 30, 2019, and hit me up the next time you want to do something fun.

Ian Plätschisch
Seneschal