Notice to Voters in MM Senate Election

Started by Ian Plätschisch, July 16, 2020, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

Azul,

You may have received an email recently from the Free Democrats urging you to vote for my opponent in the ongoing Senate election. The email contains several bold claims, many of which misrepresent my record and views. Please give me some time to prepare a response before voting based on the information in that email.

EDIT: Here is my response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me58aT9CbK8

Many thanks,
Ian Plätschisch
Senator for Maritiimi-Maxhestic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

An unethical party would have not sent the LCC leader our campaign emails in order to "sideswipe" him. The Free Democrats took the high road to as to allow for precisely this right of reply. You're welcome.

In any case, the email is reproduced below:

===

¡Azul, estimada/estimat citaxhien dal provincù Maritiimi-Maxhéstic! Greetings, dear citizen of Maritiimi-Maxhestic province!
As incumbent Prime Minister of Talossa and leader of the Free Democrats of Talossa, it gives me great pleasure to recommend to you that you vote for Cresti dal Nouacastra as your new Senator.

Cresti says: "Having served as Attorney-General, Túischac'h, Grand General Secretary of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, and Maximally Magnificent Majordomo of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, I am more than qualified, and eager to be the positive leader and face of our province as your Senator! If elected, I will be the change that we need in this ever-progressive Talossa!"

This election is particularly important in that there is a large bloc of Senators who quite literally vote against everything that the Government puts forward. If you do not elect Cresti dal Nouacastra, you risk adding to this number, and causing Talossa to get stuck in the mud.

Maritiimi-Maxhestic is conducting an independent election for Senator - you must post in this thread on Wittenberg to vote! https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=364.0

If you have any question for me or for s:reu dal Nouacastra, please respond to this email, or post on Wittenberg. I wish you the very best in this election season.

Restéu voastra,

Miestra Antônia Schiva

Prime Minister of Talossa / Seneschal dàl Regipäts Talossan

Leader of the Free Democrats of Talossa / Ducea dels Democrätsen Livereschti da Talossa

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ian Plätschisch

I'm not sure you even could instruct the SoS to send a campaign message to everyone in a province except the other candidate, but nonetheless I appreciate being able to respond to what you wrote.

I wasn't trying to imply any bad intent; only that you described my record in a way I think is inaccurate.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Well, that wasn't a Chancery message anyway. It was a message sent to the list of M-M voters who had "opted in" provided to all party leaders by the Chancery.

I don't think I said anything about your record, but of what you would probably end up doing in an anti-FreeDems Senäts bloc of Pôl Briga, BenArd and Guy Incognito. And of course your announcement in advance that you'd vote down the Ranked Choice Referendum bill.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 16, 2020, 08:28:40 PM
Well, that wasn't a Chancery message anyway. It was a message sent to the list of M-M voters who had "opted in" provided to all party leaders by the Chancery.

I don't think I said anything about your record, but of what you would probably end up doing in an anti-FreeDems Senäts bloc of Pôl Briga, BenArd and Guy Incognito. And of course your announcement in advance that you'd vote down the Ranked Choice Referendum bill.
Ok, perhaps I wasn't as precise in my language as I could have been, but when you say things like

"This election is particularly important in that there is a large bloc of Senators who quite literally vote against everything that the Government puts forward. If you do not elect Cresti dal Nouacastra, you risk adding to this number, and causing Talossa to get stuck in the mud"

It heavily implies that I have a record of doing that, and I clearly don't.

Also, unless you only sent the mailer to emails that were public, you would have had to send your message through the Chancery, given there are some people who can be sent political mailers only via the Chancery, which hopefully explains what I was getting at, but that is neither here nor there.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

On a tangentially related subject, I am talking to one M-M voter who has been inactive for a while, had no idea that this separate election was going on until I told him, and needs to get @the SoS to approve his NewWitt account before he can vote. I think it was a drastic mistake to run this election "in-house".

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Here's an interesting point. What happens if this election ends in a tie, which seems likely?

M-M electoral law says:

QuoteTies at any iteration shall be broken by the Grand General Secretary.

As far as I can tell, the GGS went AWOL a long time ago; and his deputy is one of the candidates.

Can someone reassure me that a tie won't be an unholy clusterfudge?

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 23, 2020, 08:27:27 PM
Here's an interesting point. What happens if this election ends in a tie, which seems likely?

M-M electoral law says:

QuoteTies at any iteration shall be broken by the Grand General Secretary.

As far as I can tell, the GGS went AWOL a long time ago; and his deputy is one of the candidates.

Can someone reassure me that a tie won't be an unholy clusterfudge?
I became the GGS at the beginning of the current Convocation. The wiki just hadn't been updated yet.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Well, that just makes it worse. I assume you'll be making yourself Senator in the event of a tie, then?  :(

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I think we need an answer to this, on the record.

If the M-M Senäts election results in a tie, will GGS Plätschisch use his casting vote to make himself Senator?

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Maybe we can also get an answer from Cresti d N about why he's personally refusing to hold elections to our provincial government this term, if the candidates are taking questions?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 26, 2020, 03:57:06 PM
I think we need an answer to this, on the record.

If the M-M Senäts election results in a tie, will GGS Plätschisch use his casting vote to make himself Senator?
It's my job as GGS to break a tie in the Senate race in favor of the candidate I think would be best for Talossa and best for Maritiimi-Maxhestic. Naturally, I believe I am that candidate. I can't imagine anyone else in my situation, of any party, would act differently. I also did not seek out the position of Grand General Secretary this term; I took it because absolutely no one else was interested.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 26, 2020, 04:21:14 PM
img
They're both provincial officials, and if you're asking how Ian is going to conduct himself in his job, I'd also like to hear about how Cresti is going to conduct himself in his.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on July 26, 2020, 04:28:54 PM
It's my job as GGS to break a tie in the Senate race in favor of the candidate I think would be best for Talossa and best for Maritiimi-Maxhestic. Naturally, I believe I am that candidate. I can't imagine anyone else in my situation, of any party, would act differently.

Repulsive. This is like the situation in the last Georgia governor's election, where the Republican candidate was Secretary of State and thus in a position to close down polling stations in Democrat-leaning areas, etc. You have just announced you are going to make a mockery of Talossan electoral fairness for your own partisan advantage, you are going to vote twice in this election if a situation arises where the law allows it.

Free Democrats demand that the GGS delegate his authority to break a tie in this election to a respected non-political Talossan, not necessarily one from M-M.