SIGN rules

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, December 07, 2019, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So how should a new language organisation operate? Open thread.

---

If you're interested in comparison, the old CÚG rules are attached.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Some off-the-cuff ideas I had at 1:30am:

Setup:

• Automatic membership for (former) CÚGers when they ask for it, to make the transition easier
  • As little bureaucracy as possible: there's no need for (sub)committees or strict hierarchies when we're only ~4 people
  • Voting on proposals as they come up: the CÚG used to collect proposals into 'packages' of sorts to be voted on before a fixed date (that being Llimbaziuă) which strikes me as superfluous as of now
Methodology:

• Emphasis on descriptivism: despite my constantly annoying people around me because of spelling stuff, SIGN should not walk around and proclaim what is and isn't correct, that's the speakers' job. the Scurzniă Gramatică explicitly stated that only the CÚG can authorise the introduction and use of new words which is painfully ass-backwards. At most SIGN should recommend stuff for consistency's and/or good style's sake, no more and no less.
  • Research on older forms of Talossan: does anyone know what, say, mid-80s Talossan look like? Wouldn't it be useful to know what it looked like in at least some circumstances? We should definitely try to research that more.
What else?
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I like everything you're saying here - a refreshing new approach, a clean break with the old era.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on December 07, 2019, 06:45:57 PM
Research on older forms of Talossan:[/b] does anyone know what, say, mid-80s Talossan look like? Wouldn't it be useful to know what it looked like in at least some circumstances? We should definitely try to research that more.

Here's a historical sketch of the evolution of the language from KR1, written in the late 90s.  Sadly most of the actual texts would be in old issues of Støtanneu which have never been put online and only exist in KR1's archives, though there are very brief extracts in the 1992 History of Talossa.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Iac Marscheir

I wrote this quite a while back. I hope some of these ideas can be helpful.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

My most immediate feedback is that you should charge your phone. It's making me anxious.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Oh, something that we have to get done ASAP once SIGN has formed is updating talossan.com, urgently.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Iac's suggested SIGN rules are more complicated than the existing CÚG rules which broke down under apathy.

I say: start as simply as possible, add complexity over time if necessary.

Iac Marscheir

Yes, they drew criticism at the time for requiring more people than were willing to learn the language. I'm not under the illusion that that'll be adopted, but I do think there are some quality concepts buried in it.

Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac’hlerglünä da Lhiun

I have now made a Google document for creating a corpus and I NEED THE HELP OF ALL THE SIGN MEMBERS PRESENT OR FUTURE! If you want access to the Google Document, please drop me a line, and I will provide you with a link!
Mîmbreu Xhugnhör da l'Avocatür Rexhital

I support the "United Provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandenburg."

Alright folks. Those are the rules for the new SIGN, unless anyone raises any objections till, let's say, Monday?

QuoteRule 1
The name of this organisation is "La Società per l'Ilesnaziun del Glheþ Naziunal", or "SIGN" for short. SIGN's logo is a Bicoloreu circle with blue arrows coming out of it in every cardinal direction. The flag of the Talossan language and its speakers is a horizontal tricolour of black, white and grey in proportion 1:1:2.

Rule 2
SIGN's goals are
- to document, preserve and proliferate the Talossan language,
- to recommend a standard language for government use, and
- to provide glheþinations wherever they are needed.

Rule 3
Anyone who is interested can ask to join SIGN. If a majority of members support this, the applicant becomes a full member. If the applicant was a member of the Comità per l'Útzil del Glheþ as of Llimbaziuă 2019/XL, the voting is skipped and they become a full member immediately.

Rule 4
A SIGN member can suggest a change to the recommended standard language or this set of SIGN rules at any time. If at least a two-thirds majority of members support this, the change comes into effect on the last Sunday of the following month.

Rule 5
SIGN shall regularly publish a journal outlining upcoming changes to the standard or other information that could be relevant to the Ladintsch community. SIGN shall also keep all materials under its purview up-to-date at all times.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I have absolutely no objections to this. Well done.

I wonder if Cresti Sierviciul or anyone else has the final membership rolls for the CÚG to help us? I'm pretty sure I'm a CÚG member but I can't actually remember

OK, it's official. I hereby declare SIGN open for business.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I officially apply for SIGN membership. When are we going to have a website where the Official Rules are displayed? Or at least a TalossaWiki page?

Quote from: Miestrâ Schiva, UrN on January 13, 2020, 08:54:18 PM
I officially apply for SIGN membership.
As per Rule 3, you automatically become a member. Welcome aboard!

QuoteWhen are we going to have a website where the Official Rules are displayed? Or at least a TalossaWiki page?
That's an excellent question. I'm currently preoccupied with Uni stuff, otherwise I would do that myself.

Miestră Schivă, UrN