News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Getting involved

Started by Adam Grigoriu, September 11, 2020, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Grigoriu

Woo, I'm a citizen again!

Now that I can again claim citizenship in our glorious country, is there anything I can do to help out?
Current
    Director of the Office of Preparedness and Response, RTMC HQ

Former
    Minister of the Interior & Permanent Secretary for Immigration

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

While it used to be an option to start participating in national politics in a substantive way, currently you have to wait for party leadership to put you on their list for next election. But if you're interested in that sort of thing, I think you should jump right in in your new province. I'm not currently sure whether or not you can get a seat in the assembly, but if you can't, then I will work on changing a lot so that you can (EDIT: see the M-M board -- working on it now)! and you can still join a political party if you're so inclined on the national level. There are currently three active ones, although I will let the various politicians who represent them speak for themselves.

Beyond that, there is a media organization, a news magazine published by Ian P. You can read some of those back issues and even write for it yourself, since he's very glad to print submissions.

If you wanted to request a coat of arms for yourself, that's also an option and something interesting a lot of new citizens like to do.

There has previously been a branch of the military devoted to cultural service that could have guided you, but it is not active right now. That might change soon though, hopefully.

There is also the national wiki, where you can request an account and start contributing. If you're not sure about how to edit a wiki, there is a tutorial that I made available specific to our own.

EDIT: Made this less Debbie Downer.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on September 12, 2020, 03:20:39 PM
There has previously been a branch of the military devoted to cultural service that could have guided you, but it is not active right now.

You know that's not true, Alex. The Zuavs are active under Acting* Capitán @E. S. Börnatfiglheu. I explained this to you when you mailed me your graphics.

* Acting in that he's informed me of his intention to seek a replacement once he becomes a Cabinet Minister.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 12, 2020, 04:15:06 PM
There has previously been a branch of the military devoted to cultural service that could have guided you, but it is not active right now.

You know that's not true, Alex. The Zuavs are active under Acting* Capitán @E. S. Börnatfiglheu. I explained this to you when you mailed me your graphics.

* Acting in that he's informed me of his intention to seek a replacement once he becomes a Cabinet Minister.
I know you're just doing it to needle me, since I've told you this many times over the years, but I don't go by that name.

I'm glad to hear they are active. I didn't know that, but I must have just missed what they've been up to.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

I'm embarrassed to admit that I still don't see whatever has been going on with them. Is there a new forum or something that I should be following? The last thing I see with reference to them is ESB's appointment. I am still very interested in the organization that I created, even if I don't have the time to lead it these days.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

^^^ And THIS, Teagan, is why you should take any of AD's "helpful advice" with a grain of salt. He's got an agenda and doesn't like being called on it.

In any case, the Free Democrats of Talossa is the political party to which I belong. Check it out.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 12, 2020, 04:55:48 PM
^^^ And THIS, Teagan, is why you should take any of AD's "helpful advice" with a grain of salt. He's got an agenda and doesn't like being called on it.

In any case, the Free Democrats of Talossa is the political party to which I belong. Check it out.
?

Honestly no idea why you're picking a fight here or even what this fight is about. I'm trying to list things that a new citizen can get involved with immediately. If the Zuavs are active, great and that's an opportunity, if not, no big deal because that's the way they've been throughout almost all of our history. Chill.

Arms, the media, the Zuavs, provincial politics... I'm sure I missed something but that's all that comes to mind right now.

EDIT: I'm sure some of the royal household offices probably also need help. The royal archivist is always looking for reliable people to help him, and whoever the new scribe is will also need help. If you are, by any chance, a lawyer, then you could also get recognized by the bar and start a practice.

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

No, I'll admit it.  Under my time as Capitan, the Zuavs have not been as active as I would like.  I am hoping to remedy this until a permanent replacement is found... but since the Zuavs is about activity... it should reflect that.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

GV

Unfortunately, while it used to be an option to start participating in national politics in a substantive way, currently you have to wait for party leadership to put you on their list for next election. </quote>

Huh?  Anyone could start a one-man party straightaway. 

<quote>But if you're interested in that sort of thing, I think you should jump right in in your new province. </quote>

Or even on a national level.  The Free Democrats are happily recruiting.  ;-)

<quote>I'm not currently sure whether or not you can get a seat in the assembly, but if you can't, then I will work on changing a lot so that you can! and you can still join a political party if you're so inclined on the national level. There are currently three active ones, although I will let the various politicians who represent them speak for themselves.

Beyond that, there is I think only one media organization currently in existence, a news magazine published by Ian P. You can read some of those back issues and even write for it yourself, since he's very glad to print submissions.

I believe there is only one member of the College of Arms these days, but if you wanted to request a coat of arms for yourself, that's also still an option and something interesting a lot of new citizens like to do.

There has previously been a branch of the military devoted to cultural service that could have guided you, but it is not active right now. That might change soon though, hopefully.

There is also the national wiki, where you can request an account and start contributing. If you're not sure about how to edit a wiki, there is a tutorial that I made available specific to our own.

More than any other political party in the past five-to-ten years, the Free Democrats are actually doing something.  We have revolutionized governance and put into action an agenda for the future.  For more information: https://freedemstalossa.wordpress.com/

I would be glad to talk to you about it.  Direct-message me.

Alexandreu, you paint a picture of a Kingdom in which no-one does anything.  I beg to differ. 

Perhaps if you got to it and started things up in regard to the language again, you could get things revved up, here, if things are as moribound as you think they are.

Everyone gets busy from time to time, and certainly someone who has been in active presence in our country for so long deserves a little leeway now and then! I wasn't trying to make a dig at you, man, I was just trying to run down the list of stuff that an enthusiastic new citizen might be able to participate in. I really do think that there's kind of a short window to get people actively involved in civic life. Like our website famously says, Talossa can be habit forming... But you have to get started in something before it can become a habit!

Quote from: GV on September 12, 2020, 05:47:10 PM
Unfortunately, while it used to be an option to start participating in national politics in a substantive way, currently you have to wait for party leadership to put you on their list for next election. </quote>

Huh?  Anyone could start a one-man party straightaway. 

<quote>But if you're interested in that sort of thing, I think you should jump right in in your new province. </quote>

Or even on a national level.  The Free Democrats are happily recruiting.  ;-)

<quote>I'm not currently sure whether or not you can get a seat in the assembly, but if you can't, then I will work on changing a lot so that you can! and you can still join a political party if you're so inclined on the national level. There are currently three active ones, although I will let the various politicians who represent them speak for themselves.

Beyond that, there is I think only one media organization currently in existence, a news magazine published by Ian P. You can read some of those back issues and even write for it yourself, since he's very glad to print submissions.

I believe there is only one member of the College of Arms these days, but if you wanted to request a coat of arms for yourself, that's also still an option and something interesting a lot of new citizens like to do.

More than any other political party in the past five-to-ten years, the Free Democrats are actually doing something.  We have revolutionized governance and put into action an agenda for the future.  For more information: https://freedemstalossa.wordpress.com/

I would be glad to talk to you about it.  Direct-message me.

Alexandreu, you paint a picture of a Kingdom in which no-one does anything.  I beg to differ. 

Perhaps if you got to it and started things up in regard to the language again, you could get things revved up, here, if things are as moribound as you think they are.

I think you might be thinking of someone else, since I have never been much of a hand for the language, try as I might. I give it a go every couple of years, and I think it's one of the best things about our country, but it's just hard for me. My aptitudes lie in other areas. Speaking of the language, though, that is another good one for a new person to get involved in.

I didn't blame any political party and I think you would have to work pretty hard to conjure a partisan attack out of a relatively straightforward list of stuff for someone to do. If your complaint is that I didn't name enough things, then please add them to my list! It wasn't meant to be exhaustive, just a list of stuff that occurred to me off the top of my head when I was casually replying to someone's unanswered request for stuff to do.

EDIT: Reading my list again, it does seem a little negative, actually, so that's fair enough.  No surprise to anyone how I feel about the current state of affairs.  Let's get more available for people to do around here, though!  Joining a political party doesn't actually give you much to do, since you can't do anything substantive with that for the most part until the next election.

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: GV on September 12, 2020, 05:47:10 PM

That's mostly just empty phrasing. Last ten years? I doubt it. A lot of things happened 5-10 years ago, the creation of the wiki, creation of Talossa.com codifying of our law. More recently? Probably true, but then there aren't many large or active parties left these days.

True, a lot of energy has been spent on legislation and institutional reforms, but how much of that has translated into actual activity? (Other than the efforts made to implement it all, often by people outside the FreeDems, and to fix the various holes and problems already arising from flawed bills that were passed with not enough discussion).

Edit: forgot to add the word now in bold, which changes the meaning...
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on September 12, 2020, 05:48:54 PM
Everyone gets busy from time to time, and certainly someone who has been in active presence in our country for so long deserves a little leeway now and then! I wasn't trying to make a dig at you, man, I was just trying to run down the list of stuff that an enthusiastic new citizen might be able to participate in. I really do think that there's kind of a short window to get people actively involved in civic life. Like our website famously says, Talossa can be habit forming... But you have to get started in something before it can become a habit!

I'm with you on this completely.  And it would be nice if there was a nonpartisan route to habit-forming.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Fwiw, we do have a non-partisan, non-political, cultural event going on, which has now become a tradition that has lasted for 11 years and now almost 9 editions.

It happens to involve two things that imho are most enjoyable: listening to music and making lists. I'll admit that not everyone might get as excited about these things, but for those that are:

https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=381.msg3485#new

[/shameless plug]
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre