News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Talossan National News - now available online!

Started by GV, December 20, 2020, 04:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QWvE3b7oOuAsmrsKe1ETA-vzxrS8wb53?usp=sharing

For the first time ever, online-friendly editions of the entirety of Talossan National News (TNN) is available online and at the above link.  While I am by no means pleased at the online legibility of some of these digital files, I believe everything prints out decently enough.

I really cannot put words to how important this is for Talossan scholarship.  I've discovered Fritz Bucholtz was more Talossan than he thought.  Part of the reason why annexing Shorewood and Whitefish Bay was considered way back when was because Napoleon's gaming store held shop in Shorewood.  Fritz was well-known to all Talossans even thirty-something years ago, and he is mentioned in TNN at least twice.

Unfortunately, the internet's prediliction for causing trouble has forced me to redact original-language names a great deal.  And in at least four instances, JJ's errant hole-punches did not help.  It's amazing I did not find more JJ-hole-punch carnage in the TNN master-copies.

For the Talossan Royal Archives, this is a singular accomplishment.  At least six-hundred pages of dense TNN text was going through hoping to find original-language names here and there to redact for privacy.  The three individuals who did not get such treatment are Ben (because I know he would not care), Bill Renzi (because he's been dead thirty years) and Robert Dobberpuhl (who has been dead about the same length of time).

Like any human being JJ is biased.  But when he gives statistics, names, dates, and other objective information, as far as I can tell he is accurate.  Detailed source-notes for TNN will be forthcoming.

GV, Oraclâ Press and the Talossan Royal Achives

GV

HUGE thanks to JKK for scanning TNN this past summer.  Along with various scanning attempts I've done at the house through the years, we were able to cover whatever ommissions each other may have done during scanning.

Unfortunately, Acrobat Pro DC's find-replace function distorted text formatting so much I was never able to use it.  JJ's typefaces were either too blurry or too ancient for Acrobat Pro DC to get ahold of properly.

Ergo, I had to go through each issue with Apple Preview, marking out enough of original-language names so as not to concern search engines, but leaving enough to where I could preserve what I could of JJ's typing.  I estimate I've put it at least sixty hours the past seven days in getting this done.

Eventually, I will create 'omnibus' sets, divided in the year-by-year volume-scheme JJ originally envisioned.  When I do that, I will add the source-notes I know you all cannot wait to see.

GV

Bump.  I know it's rude, but this thread is new-enough and currently not too far down in the basket.

Açafat del Val

GV, this is really exciting stuff. Thank you ever for your continued work!

It's very poetic that even in 1996 we in Talossa were asking ourselves: "What's in a name?" (See the attached photo for reference.)

Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

GV

Thank you!  It does my soul no end of good to see excitement for the lessons that can be learned from the past. 

I was lucky to get to Talossa just early enough to have spoken to a number of old-timers at least once.  I knew the Old-Growth crowd just well enough when I was slowly going through TNN for these new online editions, I didn't laugh at the humour within, but *with* it.