News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Shall we do a virtual Living Senäts?

Started by GV, January 01, 2021, 06:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

In Talossan history, a 'Living Cosâ' is one in which all members of Cosâ who are able to attend come together physically to cast their votes.  When an MC is unable to attend, they submit their votes through proxy MCs who can.

Even without COVID-19 restrictions, we seven are too far-scattered for a true Living Senäts to work.  But I do believe a virtual one can, and I'd like to schedule one for the last Clark of this Cosâ (April 2021).  Scheduling for April gives us plenty of time to schedule the best date and to put together rules for proxy-voting.

We could invite the Seneschál or any other Talossan, and yes, I'd like to have such a 'Zoom' recorded for posterity and transparency.

I believe it is legal for us to do this, but I'm asking the AG about this, of course.

Ián Tamorán S.H.

If it is not explicitly illegal, then it is legal.  If there is a (real, not imaginary) doubt then we conduct no official business, but "merely" get to know each other better.
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

Açafat del Val

Speaking not as the A-G, but as a Senator and member of this house, I concur with the Senator of Cézembre.

To the extent that we would mimic the Organic requirements for a Living Cosă, and that we would adhere to the Standing Orders of the Senäts as well as predetermined parliamentary procedures (Robert's Rules, Madion's Manuals, and/or any other set of procedures), then we should be in the clear.

In place of Zoom - though Zoom is an entirely viable solution - might I recommend that we utilize the preexisting Discord server? Discord supports video conferences, and as for recording the conference, that can be done with any program locally. For example, the Mençéi could use OBS. The advantage of Discord would be that other citizens can easily observe our public proceedings without having to disseminate a Zoom invite or necessitate a Zoom account.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Eðo Grischun

The Zoom integration on TalossaNET requires users only to have a Talossa.NET account (except the host).
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

I'm going to come down in favour of Zoom on this.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Quote from: Eðo Grischun on January 06, 2021, 05:11:35 AM
The Zoom integration on TalossaNET requires users only to have a Talossa.NET account (except the host).

That's a good news. :)

Am also in favour of Zoom.

Béneditsch Ardpresteir, Esq., O.SPM, PMPA
Squirrel King of Arms, Royal Talossan College of Arms; The Noir Eagle Herald
Member, Royal Talossan Bar; Vice Admiral, Royal Talossan Navy; Owner-Schneiderian Steels

Formerly:
Justice of the Uppermost Cort; Attorney General; Deputy Immigration Minister; Senator; Member of the Cosa; Undersecretary of State; Premier & Provincial Secretary, Maricopa; Chancellor of the O.SPM; Dean, RTCoA; Jolly Good Fellow

GV

Zoom using our Discord, then? 

As for recording, my 2014 Mac Mini cannot handle OBS or any game, for that matter, with 3-D graphics.  Someone else will have to record. 

Açavat, consider yourself parliamentarian and legal-beagle for this.  Shall we schedule for the sixth Clark?

Açafat del Val

We should change the official name of "Avocat-Xheneral" to "Legal Beagle". The imagery of the metaphor is perfect.

Zoom is fine. It will just be difficult if non-members want to observe us. I like the idea that people could join and observe, which is easy with Discord.

6th Clark would mean... April 2021? The sooner we set a date, the more likely all of us can attend.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia

Açafat del Val

We will also want to agree to a basic set of parliamentary procedure in advance. Not because the live sitting will be stuffy and full of dry procedure, but just so that we have a common and basic understanding of (a) who speaks when for how long and (b) how to stay on track.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia