[CRL] Nonpartisan SoS Act

Started by mximo, January 06, 2024, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mximo

Whereas, it is a vital national interest to have an election administration authority free of actual or reasonably perceived partisan partiality, and

Whereas, the below-proposed restrictions (as a part of ensuring this interest are modelled after those written by Dama Miestra Schiva in 53RZ2 The Civil Service (Commissioner Abolition) Bill, and

Whereas, this bill would still allow parties to appoint whoever they choose as national party officers but those officers themselves would not be permitted to serve as Secretary of State simultaneously.

Therefore, be it enacted by the Ziu, that El Lexhatx C.5 which currently reads:

5. The Secretary of State shall hold no seat in the Ziu.

Is amended to read as follows:

5. The Secretary of State shall not hold the offices of Seneschal, Distain, Judge of the Uppermost Cort, Monarch, any cabinet portfolio, or member of the Ziu. The Secretary of State also shall not hold the office of leader, deputy leader, secretary, treasurer, or any other executive position (according to the party's bylaws) of any registered or unregistered political party at the national level.

Ureu q'estadra så,
Mximo Carbonèl (Sen-FL)
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Ian Plätschisch

I'm a little concerned that the portion about party offices is too vague. For example, what counts as a "leadership position"? One could envisage many positions with party responsibilities that may or may not be considered "leadership".

Also, is a "political party" defined as an entity that registered in the previous election, an entity that has Cosa seats, or with some other definition?

mximo

It's a compromise my position would be to completely ban an SoS from being able to be a member of a party. This is a position that I have defended from the beginning. Separation of powers. So to answer the question. Our electoral laws must already define what a political party is. Otherwise it is a major problem which should be corrected quickly. Leadership should be changed by party leader I agree on this part.

It would be easier to add the SoS cannot be a member of a political party nor sit in the Ziu, but like I said this is a compromise.

Mximo

Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Ian Plätschisch

I just found that B.13.2.2 already contains the sentence:

"13.2.2. No person shall be eligible to serve on the Commission who is an officer of any registered or unregistered political party"

So perhaps these definitions should be used again in this bill for consistency.

mximo

So a political party exists when a citizen claims to be the leader of a party. For the definition of leadership, I am suggested to define it by the following officers: leader, deputy leader, secretary, treasurer or any other executive functions according to the party bylaw.

Mximo
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

mximo

Sorry but do I need to do something else here?

Mximo
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: mximo on January 11, 2024, 08:09:59 PMSorry but do I need to do something else here?

Mximo
Are you planning to revise the bill to incorporate the definitions you proposed

mximo

How I must do that ?

Im New to this.

Mximo
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Ian Plätschisch

In order for the definitions you proposed earlier to actually apply, they must be written into the bill.

Quote from: mximo on January 07, 2024, 06:46:17 PMSo a political party exists when a citizen claims to be the leader of a party. For the definition of leadership, I am suggested to define it by the following officers: leader, deputy leader, secretary, treasurer or any other executive functions according to the party bylaw.

Mximo

I could probably spend a few minutes to assist if needed.

mximo

It done.

Could you read it V2 ?

Mximo
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Ian Plätschisch

I'm not a huge fan of how that currently reads. How about:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall not hold the offices of Seneschal, Distain, Judge of the Uppermost Cort, Monarch, any cabinet portfolio, or member of the Ziu. The Secretary of State also shall not hold the office of leader, deputy leader, secretary, treasurer, or any other executive position (according to the party's bylaws) of any registered or unregistered political party at the national level.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

As a note, the CRL boards are typically replied to only by bill sponsors and members of the CRL.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

mximo

Done.

I use your language.

Mximo Carbonèl
Mximo Carbonèl