News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Problems with the National Website

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, July 27, 2023, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I'd try Bluesky if I could snag an invitation!
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on July 31, 2023, 03:53:02 PMOkay! So I think Twitter is fixed and embedded again.  Not the app -- try Bluesky, folks! -- but our embed of it.

For those reporting issues with the Twitter embed, could you please confirm it is now working for you? @Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat @Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB @Miestră Schivă, UrN

Also thank you @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu for getting those back issues of La C'hronica posted!

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on August 01, 2023, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on July 31, 2023, 03:53:02 PMOkay! So I think Twitter is fixed and embedded again.  Not the app -- try Bluesky, folks! -- but our embed of it.

For those reporting issues with the Twitter embed, could you please confirm it is now working for you? @Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat @Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB @Miestră Schivă, UrN

Also thank you @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu for getting those back issues of La C'hronica posted!

I am seeing it again. Thanks for working your magic @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu and getting La C´hronicǎ updated!
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Bluesky is a con-job. Dorsey and Musk are working together. Dorsey believes that Musk is the Chosen One to unite the world under oligarchic technocracy. Everything you think you're avoiding on Twitter is going to happen on Bluesky - it's a "good cop / bad cop" scam. https://davetroy.medium.com/no-elon-and-jack-are-not-competitors-theyre-collaborating-3e88cde5267d

I suggested when I was in Government setting up a Talossan Mastodon instance but the TNC weren't keen. Maybe, like the Civics Test, it's something they'd might be interested in now?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 02, 2023, 04:14:26 PMBluesky is a con-job. Dorsey and Musk are working together. Dorsey believes that Musk is the Chosen One to unite the world under oligarchic technocracy. Everything you think you're avoiding on Twitter is going to happen on Bluesky - it's a "good cop / bad cop" scam. https://davetroy.medium.com/no-elon-and-jack-are-not-competitors-theyre-collaborating-3e88cde5267d

Who cares if Jack Dorsey is pro-Elon or anti-Elon? Bluesky uses an open-source, federated standard. 

And that article is a little silly.  Elon Musk doesn't have some grand plan... he bought Twitter on an impulse, conflating what he wanted to believe (that he cared about free sharing of information) with what he actually believed (he's very funny and cool and if his tweets aren't successful someone must be shadowbanning them).  But that doesn't really matter -- the key point is that a federated network is much harder to control (although not impossible).  At minimum, it's a step in the right direction.  The whole thing is still imperfect and there's a lot of current technical issues like insufficient servers for the big rush of new accounts, but I like it better than Twitter and I hope more institutions switch over.

And I wish Elon had stuck to SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity!

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 02, 2023, 04:14:26 PMI suggested when I was in Government setting up a Talossan Mastodon instance but the TNC weren't keen.
Mastodon has something like 2 million active monthly users.  It's notoriously tricky to get set up and active.  I will investigate if there's an IFTTT plugin, but otherwise it's almost certainly not worth our time when compared to something like Threads.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 02, 2023, 04:14:26 PMMaybe, like the Civics Test, it's something they'd might be interested in now?
You've mentioned this thing about the civics test a few times -- did you invent this or did I miss something?  I helped develop the civics test, remember?  Why do you think there was a party position opposing it?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 02, 2023, 05:09:14 PMElon Musk doesn't have some grand plan... he bought Twitter on an impulse

While Dave Troy does tend towards conspiracy theory on occasions, and the article probably exaggerates, these reactionary technocrats *do* have a grand plan - and that they're working with the leaderships of Russia, China, the Gulf petro-despotisms, and the Trump and DeSantis movements to make it happen.

QuoteYou've mentioned this thing about the civics test a few times -- did you invent this or did I miss something?  I helped develop the civics test, remember?  Why do you think there was a party position opposing it?

Look, I'm not an obsessive who screenshots every conversation. I am pretty sure that when I set up the Civics Test, you didn't oppose the Test itself, but you opposed ID cards being contingent on passing it (thus removing the incentive).

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 02, 2023, 06:55:40 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 02, 2023, 05:09:14 PMElon Musk doesn't have some grand plan... he bought Twitter on an impulse

While Dave Troy does tend towards conspiracy theory on occasions, and the article probably exaggerates, these reactionary technocrats *do* have a grand plan - and that they're working with the leaderships of Russia, China, the Gulf petro-despotisms, and the Trump and DeSantis movements to make it happen.

Jack Dorsey, Elon Musk, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Mohammed bin Salman, Donald Trump, and Ron DeSantis!  Sounds like the start to a joke! I do not think that using Bluesky will assist their plans, though, don't worry.

EDIT: I had ChatGPT write the joke.  It is not very good.

Quote from: ChatGPTJack Dorsey, Elon Musk, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Mohammed bin Salman, Donald Trump, and Ron DeSantis walk into a bar.

The bartender, surprised, asks, "Is this some kind of political summit?"

Elon Musk smirks, "No, it's a board meeting for 'World Leaders Anonymous'."

Jack Dorsey chimes in, "It's our weekly Twitter detox session!"

Putin adds, "It's also my annual democratic vote."

Xi Jinping says, "And my free speech conference."

Mohammed bin Salman interjects, "It's also my women's rights seminar."

Donald Trump grins, "And my humility class!"

Finally, Ron DeSantis says, "And... I'm just here because Florida's hurricane season blew my house away again."

The bartender looks at them all, shrugs, and says, "Well, gentlemen, in this bar, the only thing you'll be leading is the line for the restroom after a few more of these drinks!"

Somehow it's fitting that DeSantis didn't quite get it right, even in this crummy AI-generated story.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 02, 2023, 06:55:40 PMLook, I'm not an obsessive who screenshots every conversation. I am pretty sure that when I set up the Civics Test, you didn't oppose the Test itself, but you opposed ID cards being contingent on passing it (thus removing the incentive).

As far as I can tell, you simply began announcing at some point that the TNC opposed the civics test.  Even though I helped you when it was being developed, and we've never said as much (as far as I know).  It's not a huge deal, but I've already brought this to your attention.  Just FYI :)

Try #2 got weird.

Quote from: ChatGPTJack Dorsey, Elon Musk, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Mohammed bin Salman, Donald Trump, and Ron DeSantis walk into a bar.

They see a sign: "Tonight's Challenge: Stand-Up Comedy. Winner gets free drinks!"

Elon Musk goes first. "Why don't scientists trust atoms?"

The room waits. "Because they make up everything!"

There's mild laughter. Then Jack Dorsey steps up. "Why don't some couples go to the zoo?"

The crowd waits. "Because they can't bear it!"

More laughter follows.

One by one, Putin, Xi Jinping, Mohammed bin Salman, Donald Trump, and Ron DeSantis follow with their own jokes, each getting more laughs than the last.

Suddenly, the lights flicker, the room grows cold. The bartender, a grin spreading across his face, steps onto the stage. "Gentlemen," he says, his voice resonating through the eerie silence, "I appreciate the effort, but let me show you how it's done."

He raises a hand dramatically, and the room is filled with a strange, crackling energy. The laughter dies down, replaced by a palpable sense of unease. The leaders look at each other, a flicker of shared concern crossing their faces.

"Why did the world leaders walk into my bar?" he asks, his eyes gleaming in the dim light.

The crowd leans in, held captive by the unsettling atmosphere.

"Because it's the last bar on Earth!"

Suddenly, the room shakes violently, glasses shatter, and the TV screen on the wall flashes with breaking news - reports of sudden, global catastrophes. As fear sweeps over the room, the bartender laughs, an eerie sound that fills the suddenly too-small space. His eyes flash with an unknown power as he declares, "Drinks are on the house. For the end of the world, there's no better place to be!"