[TECHNOLOGY] Should Talossa start a Mastodon instance?

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, November 20, 2022, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So currently Talossa's social media presence (such as it is) includes Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. All these social media outlets are problematic, for reasons of data privacy and/or being run by reactionary billionaire tyrants who can't be trusted.

So, should Talossa set up a presence on the open-source social media network Mastodon?

The interesting thing is that, given Mastodon's decentralised structure, we would be able to turn our Wordpress setup on talossa.com into a Mastodon "instance" (server).

The Tech PermSec assures me that all this is possible... if we can be bothered.

Comments? Questions?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on November 20, 2022, 12:57:57 PMSo currently Talossa's social media presence (such as it is) includes Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. All these social media outlets are problematic, for reasons of data privacy and/or being run by reactionary billionaire tyrants who can't be trusted.

So, should Talossa set up a presence on the open-source social media network Mastodon?

The interesting thing is that, given Mastodon's decentralised structure, we would be able to turn our Wordpress setup on talossa.com into a Mastodon "instance" (server).

The Tech PermSec assures me that all this is possible... if we can be bothered.

Comments? Questions?

I think if we are going to set up additional presences on social media then we need to be sure they will be adequately maintained. There has been insufficient use of our current social media allowing for those not frequenting Witt to remain abreast of Talossan affairs despite ongoing activities. I worry that Mastodon would simply become another dark window without a plan to ensure its regular maintenance.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

I'm going to be honest and admit that I only kinda grok Mastodon is all about.  It seems vaguely like Twitter, but is decentralized on its servers.  But I don't really know what it means to turn our website into an instance/Server. 

But in terms of overarching infrastructure, I'll echo Breneir on this.  Opening another blank window might not be the greatest plan, especially given the personnel issues that were acknowledged during today's Living Cosa.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito