2 (25%)
what's an infotekka?
0 (0%)
I'm a TNC member inflating the yes vote
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: September 16, 2023, 04:49:08 PM

xpb

When collecting and analyzing data, quantitative research deals with numbers and statistics, while qualitative research deals with words and meanings. Both are important for gaining different kinds of knowledge.

In effect, polling is a component of qualitative research, as would be shown in the results of elections to be linked to the statements and actions of the individuals and organizations involved in that given election.

What should be avoided is this:

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 14, 2023, 06:37:38 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on September 14, 2023, 05:57:43 PM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on September 14, 2023, 05:40:09 PMIMFAO it would be better to show a moving average here instead of a trend line but now we are really going down the rabbit hole. I would be willing to set that up if you give me the keys.

Actually, now that I think about it, there isn't any real reason to wait. Let's get it improved and better right now! That's the whole point of the system. @Breneir Tzaracomprada , can we appoint him as a deputy for the purposes of accessing this data and improving visualizations and the like? If that's okay with you, Ian, for to have that for the next month or two (or longer!) Or wait, maybe some other office... Let me get back to you very soon and let's figure out how to make this happen! This is exactly what I was hoping would result! Very excited that a data guru is tempted by our juicy columns of numbers.

Of course, so appointed for @Ian Plätschisch. Nice to see Infoteca is a public resource with bipartisan investment.

Okay, we're working on figuring out the language for a new permanent secretary position right now. Not something to do a lot of regular work, by just something to allow him to edit and improve how we visualize our data. I already took his advice already and switched the trend lines over to linear.

Since it's election season and one candidate has previously served, I thought it might also be fun to make a version of the chart that includes terms of office. But it won't automatically update, so I won't put it on the spreadsheet itself, and said will just post it here.

I have pretty much abandoned the idea of automating the data gathering process. It would take me probably an hour at the barest minimum to get the code together, test it, and set it up. And since it takes about 1 minute total per month to update, automating the process couldn't conceivably be worth it in time and effort.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Nice to see that, so far, in the poll 75% of respondents have used Infoteca.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Yeah. I'm not sure that means much though. It wasn't really an effort to find out what people think in good faith, and that's true even if it backfired. I would suspect that the vast majority of our citizens have never even heard of the service still, except for those who pay moderate to close attention to the national conversation. It would be good to actually get some real sense of what people think about stuff like this... Years ago, @Glüc da Dhi S.H. conducted the first and only scientific poll of our country. I think it would be worthwhile to commission him to do it again and get real data on how many people are aware of services like the wiki, the database, features of our website, the college of arms, etc. I wish I had actually thought of this when we were hashing out the party platform in our private board.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on September 16, 2023, 11:41:38 AM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on September 14, 2023, 05:40:09 PMIMFAO it would be better to show a moving average here instead of a trend line but now we are really going down the rabbit hole. I would be willing to set that up if you give me the keys.

Actually, now that I think about it, there isn't any real reason to wait. Let's get it improved and better right now! That's the whole point of the system. @Breneir Tzaracomprada , can we appoint him as a deputy for the purposes of accessing this data and improving visualizations and the like? If that's okay with you, Ian, for to have that for the next month or two (or longer!) Or wait, maybe some other office... Let me get back to you very soon and let's figure out how to make this happen! This is exactly what I was hoping would result! Very excited that a data guru is tempted by our juicy columns of numbers.

Of course, so appointed for @Ian Plätschisch. Nice to see Infoteca is a public resource with bipartisan investment.

Okay, we're working on figuring out the language for a new permanent secretary position right now. Not something to do a lot of regular work, by just something to allow him to edit and improve how we visualize our data. I already took his advice already and switched the trend lines over to linear.

Since it's election season and one candidate has previously served, I thought it might also be fun to make a version of the chart that includes terms of office. But it won't automatically update, so I won't put it on the spreadsheet itself, and said will just post it here.

I have pretty much abandoned the idea of automating the data gathering process. It would take me probably an hour at the barest minimum to get the code together, test it, and set it up. And since it takes about 1 minute total per month to update, automating the process couldn't conceivably be worth it in time and effort.

@Baron Alexandreu Davinescu @Ian Plätschisch
Please let me know when you have finalized language for the new Perm Sec position.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 17, 2023, 07:52:00 PM

Please let me know when you have finalized language for the new Perm Sec position.
Ian has decided, not unjustifiably, that he thought it made more sense after the election before moving forward. C'est la vie.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on September 17, 2023, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 17, 2023, 07:52:00 PM

Ian has decided, not unjustifiably, that he thought it made more sense after the election before moving forward. C'est la vie.

Yeah, understandable. Hopefully just a few weeks wait then...

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight