Wittenberg

Xheneral/General => Wittenberg => Topic started by: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 09, 2026, 03:07:49 PM

Title: [GOVT] Cartography
Post by: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 09, 2026, 03:07:49 PM
(https://imx.talossa.com/i/86f7e332-4a92-4118-93ae-880a8b751532.png)

Cartography

Among many of the wild, irresponsible promises that we made during the campaign, the parties of this wonderful coalition Government agreed that it was about time that high-quality maps were available for printing.  These days, there's software that allows anyone to make professional-grade maps at home, and that's what we're aiming for.  These maps will be made available for free to download, and for a small fee (cost of printing and postage) we will even send them to you once they're ready.  You'll be able to put up a fun piece of Talossania that will inspire fun conversations and whimsical delight.

I'm in the process of learning how to do this using QGIS, but I thought I'd also ask if anyone had any experience and would be interested in helping with the project.  If so, please contact me at your convenience.

For everyone else: soon you'll be able to find your canton on the map!
Title: Re: [GOVT] Cartography
Post by: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 09, 2026, 03:51:32 PM
Update: the boundaries are built, and I need your help with a few things

Well, as often happens, I got a lot deeper than I thought.  I've got all sixteen GTA cantons built as actual map geometry, straight from the text of Lexh.K.1 laid over OpenStreetMap street data. The good news: they fit together perfectly -- no gaps, no overlaps, and the outer boundary comes out right. Most cantons land within a few percent of the acreages listed on the wiki.  This is all despite the annoying number of diacritical marks in all of this.

The less good news: building them exactly as the law reads turned up some places where the law, the wiki, and reality don't agree. If you know anything about any of these -- old maps, old Ziu debates, census tract history -- please chime in. @Miestră Schivă, UrN-GC , you figured a lot of this out -- any thoughts?


1. Areas that trade places

In three pairs of neighboring cantons, the two areas add up correctly but the split between them is off. That means the line between them in current law isn't where it was when it was measured.



2. Where does the River end and the Sea begin?

Port Maxhestic and the national boundary both run along "the River" and "the Sea," but nothing says where one becomes the other in the harbor. For now I've drawn the river due east from its mouth to the lakeshore. Is there any precedent or tradition on this?


3. The Dún Cestour carpark road

Lexh.K.1.16 runs the Dún Cestour/Maritiimi line along "the unmarked road at the southern edge of the carpark" near the Water Tower. It isn't on any map I can find. Anyone who knows the spot -- a description, a photo, a pin on a map -- would be a huge help.


4. Divided roads

Several boundaries follow boulevards with medians (Kenwood, Lincoln Memorial, Lake Drive). Does the line run down the median, or along one side? The law doesn't say. I'll default to the median unless someone knows better.


5. Small textual fixes


Once I've heard back, I'd like to roll the answers into one tidy-up bill so el Lexhatx matches the ground. Thanks, all.  And if no one chimes in after a reasonable interval, then I will just make some decisions and figure it out.
Title: Re: [GOVT] Cartography
Post by: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 09, 2026, 04:26:14 PM
Also:

Points of Note
Points of note that I think should be especially marked:

Tell me if you think of more.
Title: Re: [GOVT] Cartography
Post by: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 09, 2026, 04:44:45 PM
On the topic of border vaguenesses: Cantonal borders are based on old Milwaukee census tracts.
cantons.png
As you can see on this map from 1980, the border between Vilatx Freiric (143) and Cüfeir (144) is indeed supposed to be Van Buren St.

Based on the names, it makes the most sense for census tract 74 to be Abbavilla, since it includes the UW Milwaukee, and 73 to be named Fluvia Montevudio.

As you can also see, the division between Las Inaltaes Maxhestici and Port Maxhestic is not based on census tracts, but, if I recall correctly, a consequence of Reunision. I assume Lincoln Memorial Drive as the border is also intended as written.

Finally as for the border between Vuode and Maritiimi-Maxhestic, the language is really not precise, and neither are pre-existing maps. For my own purposes, I've usually drawn the border as roughly this:
border.jpg
with the "unmarked road at the southern edge of the carpark" referring to the one that curves behind MooSa's, but the border splitting away from that road and meeting the coastline at a tangent.