News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Sir Lüc

#1
Quote from: Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir on October 07, 2026, 04:58:19 PMI will say, I do have anxiety about such things so I won't be able to join in this (this is a long term thing, and have mentioned a few times over the years)

But I hope it goes well, and if needed I can send a prepared remark to be read out by someone at the event

That's totally fine. If you (and anyone else) would still like to assist, you are welcome to join with no mic and no camera!
#2
Quote from: Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir on October 07, 2026, 04:59:33 PM
Quote from: Sir Lüc on October 07, 2026, 12:43:55 PMBy precedent, nominations will remain open until a week from me calling for them, so a little less than two days for any other nomination!

I believe our precedent here is 2 weeks based on our constitution  and how things have been run before

I am going off of this: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?msg=10998 - one week for nominations, then two for voting.
#3
Atatürk / Re: Atatürk House of Commons, 63rd Ziu
October 07, 2026, 12:43:55 PM
By precedent, nominations will remain open until a week from me calling for them, so a little less than two days for any other nomination!
#4
Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 02, 2026, 11:46:19 AM
Quote from: Sir Lüc on October 02, 2026, 10:44:38 AM[...]

1/2) As I understand it, the Lexhatx doesn't allow the Cosă to set its own rules like it does the Senäts (Lexh.H.3.1), so these rules would not be strictly binding.
This is absolutely true, but I suspect we're in "the law doesn't explicitly allow something, so it must mean it disallows it" territory. These rules basically only govern how an informal session operates and entirely operate within the limits of existing legislation, for example when dealing with bills, or when saying the Túischac'h maintains order. By comparison, the Senate rules are completely different and much more consequential; for example, they precisely set the terms of office of senators, which is something the Cosă doesn't need, since an MC gains their seat when they're appointed and (normally) loses it on Dissolution.

QuoteI hesitate to add these rules to the Lexhatx directly because internal processes really shouldn't be a matter of national legislation in the first place.
Fully agreed.

Quote3/4) To the surprise of perhaps no one, these rules I worked out together with AD last term are heavily based on how associations in Germany usually govern themselves, and under this framework, all the points I mentioned are in fact points of order. The idea is that an agenda is set beforehand, and everything that interrupts or distracts from the agenda is a point of order, and the chair adjourns the session once the agenda has run its course. My choice of inspiration doesn't imply that German associations have a better internal structure than the House of Commons, it was moreso a framework that was already familiar to me and easy to adapt to our circumstances here, and I wouldn't mind changing them in the direction of the Commons if there's enthusiasm for it.
That's fine, it's just odd that we'd choose a framework specific to Germany over something more international. And I'm saying that while also firmly believing we shouldn't parrot what any specific legislature does; my "a motion is not a point of order" objection is more grounded in an English dictionary definition and in common procedure, tbh.

Quote5) That would be nice, but you can't really force MCs to be more proactive than they have to be. That's something I've been struggling with during my two terms as Túischac'h at all times.
I fully get what you're saying, as a four-terms-and-a-bit Túischac'h and Mençei - but I'm sure nudging the Seneschal to move to adjourn when we're done is not an unreasonable expectation.
#6
Quote from: King Txec on October 06, 2026, 05:03:03 PMHere's a crazy idea and one that hasn't been considered. There is ONE person who is always a member of the Ziu. Me. I'm sure this won't be politically palatable, but as I am the only member of the Ziu who is by definition apolitical, I could be helping out in this regard. I know the SoS is also apolitical, but he isn't a member of the Ziu by law. Just throwing out my two bence. Feel free to tell me to go back and sit down on my somewhat battered throne.

-Txec R

My qualm here would be that the King is not an easily politically accountable figure. Meaning: a SoS acting as Túischac'h going rogue is (relatively easily) checked by existing provisions that can remove them from office; a King acting as Túischac'h by virtue of sitting as Crown-in-Parliament would, hypothetically, not be as easy to rein in were they to go rogue. And sure, the present incumbent is exceedingly unlikely to pose this issue... but our laws should be written to last a century, when who knows who will be holding those powers.

But, were you to perform those functions on an appointed basis, rather than ex officio in your capacity as King, I don't think anyone would have any reason to object. Besides, you already do something similar as Deputy Clerk of Courts. So my half-baked counterproposal is:

1. The Chancery is, effectively, the "permanent support staff" of the Cosă in particular and the Ziu in general - so I think it's fine to let the Chancery keep the thing running when the lights are off between GEs.

2. If that were the case, my idea/intention would be to appoint King Txec as Deputy Secretary of State, specifically for the Ziu "department" within the Chancery and with an appropriately fancy title, and delegate to him in turn the powers given to the Chancery in the gap between terms. This could also entail stuff like taking roll call votes in informal sessions, were I unable to attend or were I doubled up as moderator, like in this session.

3. It would be cool if future SoSes would likewise continue this new tradition, and conversely, if Txec or a successor was to temporarily need to take time off, this manner of appointment would have enough flexibility to temporarily replace the "Deputy SoS for the Ziu" as necessary, without additional legislation or hassle.
#7
  • Of course, if a significant number of crucial attendees cannot make it, there's provisions in place to hold a textual state opening here.
  • Once more, while I don't think it's worthwhile to vote on the Clark, I would encourage people to think about reserving some time for face-to-face debate on their own Hoppered bills, which I think would be more productive and helpful.
  • Also, once this is settled, I would already like to start planning the November Informal Joint Session -- it's Budget month and I would really like to afford the Government and MinFin a proper chance at presenting it.
#8
Azul,

seeing as there are now presiding officers in place for both Houses of the Ziu, and in my capacity as Deputy Túischac'h, I would like to belatedly kick off preparations for the State Opening of the Ziu.

Unlike the First Clark of the previous term, most MZs have voted already and the slate consists of nonbinding resolutions only, so I would rather start thinking about a November Joint Session now, and leave the State Opening to be strictly about the swearing-in and connected formalities, and (I strongly suggest) some time to debate Hoppered bills face-to-face. This also means we don't strictly need to hold this before the Clark is over.

I have created the following link to track attendance: https://www.when2meet.com/?39113703-8hwkS

Paging ministers, major party leaders & King & Mençei for their availability:

@Baron Alexandreu Davinescu @Miestră Schivă, UrN-GC @Mic'haglh Autófil, O.Be @xpb @Françal I. Lux @Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP @Danihel Txechescu @þerxh Sant-Enogat @Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir @King Txec @Crement Itravilatx @Breneir Tzaracomprada @Garth Spencer
#9
That makes it exactly 101 seats voting for @Moinul Moin , who I conclude is therefore duly elected as Túischac'h for the 63rd Cosă pursuant to Lexh.H.4.4.3. Congratulations!




Sir Lüc da Schir
Secretar d'Estat / Secretary of State
#10
For the record, should both the Túischac'h and Mençei be unable to moderate over an informal session, I would be fine with deputising since I need to be present anyway.
#11
Yay! I hope I can find the time to do a little research and tweak my team this term.
#12
I have thoughts on B.13.6 that basically boil down to: even 10 days is needlessly long 99% of the time, and while I recognise that the certification tools might be improved to speed up work, I suspect there's been a fair few instances of commissioners basically waiting until the deadline to get to work. And since we must wait for everyone to be done to wrap up, one slow commissioner will balance out the other commissioners who do recognise the sooner the election is certified, the faster we can get back to business.

So my counterproposal is: 7 days by default, 7 more days if two EC members feel like there's something substantial that needs more time investigating, and leaving untouched the already existing proposals governing extensions granted by the UC.
#13
El Senäts/The Senate / Re: Mencei for the 63rd Cosa
October 05, 2026, 01:25:48 PM
The nomination has been withdrawn and there is only one candidate running, and a majority of Senators have nominated and/or voted for S:da Somelieir - good enough for the Chancery to declare the Senator for Atatürk elected as Mençei. Database is updated and board moderation handover will happen soon-ish.
#14
By my count that's 19+9+22=50 seats' worth of nominations for S:r Moin, so 51 more needed.
#15
Various random minor/major points and questions.

1) If this is intended to be binding (rules generally are understood to be, I think), then calling this Sense of the Cosă would be misleading. I think "Resolution" rather than "Sense" would be more accurate, because it would be binding while not seeking to make or repeal legislation.

2) But also, if this is intended to be binding, it includes some provisions that bind the Senäts without its consent. It might not be an issue - I think the Senäts could just pass a RS to add a provision to their own rules, stating they concur with the Cosă rules in the event of a Joint Sitting - but it's not something that should be taken for granted.

3) In 5b., you list four permissible motions (i. and iii.-v.), but these aren't points of order, nor is it normally a thing to "raise a point of order to make a motion". Maybe the hand sign could be modified to mean the MZ is seeking immediate recognition, rather than to raise a point of order, and the MZ could then clarify which one he intends to offer after the chair has recognised them.

4) Additionally, if 5b. intends to list all permissible motions, I think it would be good to have a motion to adjourn listed in there. Partly because I like the British way of using it as a way to have a short closing debate, but also simply because it seems wise to allow someone to move to adjourn rather than having the chair awkwardly shut things down.

5) And on the topic of "allowing someone to move", it would be nice if MZs agreed, even pretty informally, to have someone act as a sort of floor leader - again, to spare the chair the awkwardness of stuff like "can we pretend the Mençei is subbing in for five seconds while I move that we take a 5 minutes recess because someone is late and nobody else will".
#16
Atatürk / Re: Atatürk House of Commons, 63rd Ziu
October 02, 2026, 08:36:35 AM
Right! Any nominations for Basbakan? @Andrïeu Cabischabuerg @Brad Holmes and @Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir
#17
El Senäts/The Senate / Re: Mencei for the 63rd Cosa
October 02, 2026, 08:33:54 AM
Just a quick nudge to the Senäts for the purpose of expediting preparations for the State Opening - the nomination period has ended on the 29th, with two nominations but no outright majority, and therefore things should now move to an Instant Runoff ballot between Senators Somelieir and Ardpresteir.

If I can assist with holding the ballot, let me know.
#18
Voting on the October 2026 Clark (the first of the 63rd Cosă) is now open, until the 21st of the month, at 19h30 TST.

You can find the Clark at: https://database.talossa.com/ziu/clark (html) or at https://database.talossa.com/ziu/terms/63/clarks/1/pdf (pdf)

MCs and Senators can all vote on the new Database using the credentials you have been sent by email: https://database.talossa.com/ziu/clark/vote

If you wish to vote on Wittenberg, MCs can vote here and Senators can vote here.



Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Secretary of State
#19
Senators, you can cast your votes on the First Clark here or on the database: https://database.talossa.com/ziu/clark/vote

You can find the Clark at: https://database.talossa.com/ziu/clark (html) or at https://database.talossa.com/ziu/terms/63/clarks/1/pdf (pdf)

If you vote here on Witt, do not indicate any conditions which may make it sound like this vote isn't final: you can always change your vote later.
#20
 Members of the Cosă, you can cast your votes on the First Clark here or on the database: https://database.talossa.com/ziu/clark/vote

You can find the Clark at: https://database.talossa.com/ziu/clark (html) or at https://database.talossa.com/ziu/terms/63/clarks/1/pdf (pdf)

If you vote here on Witt, do not indicate any conditions which may make it sound like this vote isn't final: you can always change your vote later.