TERPELAZIUN ÀL Avocat-Xheneral/Question for the Attorney-General

Started by Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir, October 07, 2021, 04:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir

The Attorney-General said she was going to apply for membership of the Bar. Can she give us any updates on what happened with this?

Party Secretary of the Free Democrats of Talossa
https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?board=34.0
Talossans in Christ Church :-
http://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=294.0
Başbakan of Ataturk

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I thank the Member for her question. The short version of the answer is: I have no idea what's happening.

The longer version of the answer is this. It has been my goal as A-Xh to help revive the Talossan Bar. Following the example of my party colleague, C. Nouacastra, I applied directly to the Uppermost Cort. Judge V. Marcianüs was kind enough to provide a written Bar exam - the details of which are confidential - which I completed on the 28th of August this year.

After that? Silence, at least officially. From what I can gather from unofficial sources, the issue is that my examination needs to be confirmed by a majority of the CpI - i.e. 3 of the current 4 justices - and only 2 of them have responded.

I must say that I am massively disappointed by this. The Uppermost Cort has always been something of a "retirement" position in Talossa, but this is ridiculous. There are of course procedures to remove a CpI Judge for inactivity, but my reading of the Organic Law and El Lex G.11 convinces me that that only applies to active cases - even though administering the Bar is also the role of the Uppermost Cort (by El Lex G.2).

Given that, my application for the Bar seems stuck in limbo until such point as one of the 2 absent Judges approves it, one of the 2 absent Judges is present enough to retire so that they may be replaced, or their terms expire in -oh, let me just calculate this - July 2025.

So we've got problems with the CpI. Sorry to not have better news.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Açafat del Val

What is the latest news in reform of the bar? Or even the Corts generally? For such a small country as Talossa, our legal code, legal system, and legal everything are embarrassingly labyrinthine, Kafkaesque, and opaque.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Açafat del Val on March 18, 2022, 12:25:29 PM
What is the latest news in reform of the bar? Or even the Corts generally? For such a small country as Talossa, our legal code, legal system, and legal everything are embarrassingly labyrinthine, Kafkaesque, and opaque.
I think it's great you're back to Talossa, but in fairness to Miestra, she has been the author of a huge amount of legislation to simplify and reform the way things like the criminal code and a bunch of other parts of the law work.  She incorporated the input of others and worked hard to make it happen, and it really improved things.  It has been a bright point of this Government.  You're coming in really hot and worked-up, but a ton of improvement has already happened, much of it over this past term.

There's more to do, especially with the bar, but credit where it's due.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Açafat del Val

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 18, 2022, 12:45:08 PM
I think it's great you're back to Talossa, but in fairness to Miestra, she has been the author of a huge amount of legislation to simplify and reform the way things like the criminal code and a bunch of other parts of the law work.  She incorporated the input of others and worked hard to make it happen, and it really improved things.  It has been a bright point of this Government.  You're coming in really hot and worked-up, but a ton of improvement has already happened, much of it over this past term.

I don't mean to diminish any accomplishments of the incumbent Government – led, no less, by the party to which I am a member – but I felt it fair to ask for an update on bar reform. The law should be accessible, but isn't; judges should be more active, but aren't; and if someone wanted to seek justice under Talossan law at this very moment, they wouldn't even know how.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Açafat del Val on March 18, 2022, 12:50:04 PM

I don't mean to diminish any accomplishments of the incumbent Government – led, no less, by the party to which I am a member – but I felt it fair to ask for an update on bar reform. The law should be accessible, but isn't; judges should be more active, but aren't; and if someone wanted to seek justice under Talossan law at this very moment, they wouldn't even know how.

Fair enough.  I'm the Clerk of Courts -- I guess maybe I can help by being sure the procedures stuff is all updated?  Might be one way to make it more accessible.  I'll have a look.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Açafat del Val on March 18, 2022, 12:50:04 PM

Speaking as the Administrator of Wittenberg, please don't derail threads or reopen those that have been resolved, such as a a terpelaziun.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal