The matter of party names

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, December 05, 2019, 05:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on December 06, 2019, 06:12:57 AM
S:reu Grischun stated that the word "peculiar" in the PNP's name isn't meant to be a descriptor.

...if it's not a descriptor, what is its function? It makes no syntactic sense otherwise.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Iac Marscheir

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on December 06, 2019, 07:25:13 AM
Quote from: Iac Marscheir on December 06, 2019, 06:12:57 AM
S:reu Grischun stated that the word "peculiar" in the PNP's name isn't meant to be a descriptor.

...if it's not a descriptor, what is its function? It makes no syntactic sense otherwise.

Maybe he means it as a substantive or something. "Dr. Mindago's Caravan of the Peculiar". He states that it stands as its own concept, so I just changed it to "peculiarity" and formed a compound noun (partì à pecüliarità)

Eðo Grischun

I don't know what a substantive is.  My head goes fuzzy even when Googling the difference between nouns, verbs and adjectives.  I have a loose to middling grasp of those three, anything beyond that is brainiac material to me.

Why does it even matter what I meant?  Whatever makes sense in my head doesn't need to make the same sense in yours.  We all see the words 'peculiar', 'nationalist' and 'party', and we all see them in the same arrangement and order.  Can't it just be translated word by word? 

I understand that the word order will probably change.  Like, in Spanish 'white cat' becomes 'cat white', but in it's still just blanca for white, and gato for cat. How come Peculiar ends up as Peculiarity?  That's a different word.  Does Talossan not have a word for Peculiar?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Iac Marscheir

A substantive is an adjective used as a noun.

It matters what you meant because it wouldn't be a faithful translation otherwise. But if you're ok with "Partì Naziunalistà Pecüliar", that's probably the best translation, courtesy of Tafial.

Because you appear to be using an adjective as a noun, I applied a noun-forming suffix to a Talossan adjective. Pecüliar + -ità

Quote from: Eðo Grischun on December 06, 2019, 09:16:42 AM
I don't know what a substantive is.  My head goes fuzzy even when Googling the difference between nouns, verbs and adjectives.  I have a loose to middling grasp of those three, anything beyond that is brainiac material to me.
In simple terms, substantives/nouns are for things or people, verbs are for actions and adjectives are for descriptions.
"house" is a noun, "to eat" is a verb and "green" is an adjective.

QuoteWhy does it even matter what I meant?  Whatever makes sense in my head doesn't need to make the same sense in yours.  We all see the words 'peculiar', 'nationalist' and 'party', and we all see them in the same arrangement and order.  Can't it just be translated word by word?

I understand that the word order will probably change.  Like, in Spanish 'white cat' becomes 'cat white', but in it's still just blanca for white, and gato for cat. How come Peculiar ends up as Peculiarity?  That's a different word.  Does Talossan not have a word for Peculiar?
It matters because translating isn't about exchanging words verbatim, the result is often gibberish. The Spanish example you gave is accidentally perfect: "gato blanca" would be wrong because 'gato' is masculine and 'blanca' is feminine. 'blanca' would have to be masculine and thus be 'blanco' but thats an unnecessary tangent.

Talossan does have a word for "peculiar", it is an adjective. If we were to translate the English name into Talossan in the most verbatim way possible, the result would be "Parti Naziunalistà Pecüliar", which would describe a party that is Peculiar(ist) and Nationalist.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

@Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial I have another Talossan translation question for you because you appear to be good at it.
As to party names, would you be willing to translate Talossan National Congress into Talossan?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on February 26, 2022, 08:57:06 AM
@Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial I have another Talossan translation question for you because you appear to be good at it.
As to party names, would you be willing to translate Talossan National Congress into Talossan?

That would be Congreßeu Naziunal Talossan (CNT).

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on February 26, 2022, 10:03:08 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on February 26, 2022, 08:57:06 AM

That would be Congreßeu Naziunal Talossan (CNT).

Graschcias!

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight