News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

SMF update

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, April 03, 2022, 10:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

We're currently running SMF 2.0.17 from three years ago.  SMF 2.1.1 is the current version, and it has a bunch of desirable features -- including things like 2FA, better BBCode, better mentions (ever try to tag the Seneschal in a post?), better mobile support, and the ability to write drafts of a message.  Maybe it would be a good idea to schedule an update at some point soon?

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=580657.0
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on April 03, 2022, 10:52:47 PM
We're currently running SMF 2.0.17 from three years ago.  SMF 2.1.1 is the current version, and it has a bunch of desirable features -- including things like 2FA, better BBCode, better mentions (ever try to tag the Seneschal in a post?), better mobile support, and the ability to write drafts of a message.  Maybe it would be a good idea to schedule an update at some point soon?

I will take a look at it.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

This feeds into a broader question of what to do with the "back end" of Talossa's online presence. The incoming Government is negotiating getting a new citizen into the "Minister of Technology" role (since Eðo Grischün is completely overwhelmed with extra-Talossan affairs right now) to sort out talossa.com; but I know the Chancery have also indicated the need to take over the Database completely from MPF, who also has much better things to do outside Talossa right now.

So, with all that and perhaps updating Witt's software, perhaps kill three birds with one stone. Total overhaul of our online stuff is a top priority on which the Government intends to work closely with the Chancery.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I've successfully updated the forum to 2.0.19, a release that is only four months old. From what I can see, updating to 2.1.1 will possibly overwrite anything custom that was installed when this version of Wittenberg was first created. As I don't wish to "break" things, I will not be updating to that version until I have a plan in place. I'll keep this on my list of things to do.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 04, 2022, 07:22:38 AM

I've successfully updated the forum to 2.0.19, a release that is only four months old. From what I can see, updating to 2.1.1 will possibly overwrite anything custom that was installed when this version of Wittenberg was first created. As I don't wish to "break" things, I will not be updating to that version until I have a plan in place. I'll keep this on my list of things to do.

Cool. Thank you! Let me know if I can help with the big update. I'd be happy to lend a hand.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein