An Introduction and Membership Questions

Started by Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., March 24, 2022, 08:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D.

Esteemed Members of the Royal Society,

Should I be granted citizenship I should like to make application for membership in the society. I hold a Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts degree in history education and a Doctor of Education degree in Educational Leadership. My dissertation can be reviewed at https://mds.marshall.edu/etd/1281/.

What are the formal steps for membership?

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., MC
Deputy Minister of Culture Select, Member of the 57th Cosa
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Whisky Society

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

"Requirements for Associate Membership:

1. Be a citizen of Talossa.
2. Write an essay of not less than three paragraphs but not more than ten paragraphs outlining an active, scholarly interest you have and how you can advance that scholarly interest as an associate member of the Royal Society.

Requirements for Fellow of the Royal Society:

1. A Royal Fellow will have met all of the requirements for associate membership.
2. A Royal Fellow will possess at a minimum the equivalency of a High School Diploma
3. A Royal Fellow must declare upon application a scholarly interest and to maintain membership at this level will present at least one lecture annually on that topic.

Requirements for Senior Fellow of the Royal Society:

1. A Senior Fellow will have met all of the requirements for Fellow of the Royal Society.
2. A Senior Fellow will possess at a minimum the equivalency of a two-year Degree from a college, university, or technical school.
3. A Senior Fellow will present at minimum one lecture per year and participate in the annual Royal Society Symposium either as a lecturer or presenter."

The Society used to be the University and it was pretty different, some years ago.  When it was referred to as the University, people would offer lecture series and full courses devoted to things that interested them.  The old message board shows a bit of how it used to be: https://talossa.proboards.com/board/30/royal-society-advancement-knowledge  I actually taught two classes when that was a thing: one on wiki-markup and another on the writer Ernest Hemingway.

I suppose that, technically speaking, there are no existing fellows or senior fellows.  The only one who has ever offered a lecture is @Ian Plätschisch , I think, and that was a few years ago.  And there's never been a symposium, ever.  I'm not sure who's in charge, but nothing's been done with the place basically since they eliminated the University and replaced it with the Society.  It'd be great if a scholar took charge and started keeping track of things.  If it were me, I'd put @Ian Plätschisch , @Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac'hlerglünä da Lhiun  , and @Ián Tamorán S.H.  as sitting senior fellows, since they're people who I know have presented us actual new work in a scholarly way, and reboot the whole thing otherwise with everyone else who'd been involved demoted to associates until they did something.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Thank you. I look forward to getting started.

Maybe if you immigrate, you'll be the one to get it rolling again!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Þon Txoteu É. Davinescu, O.SPM

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 24, 2022, 08:55:47 AM
"Requirements for Associate Membership:

1. Be a citizen of Talossa.
2. Write an essay of not less than three paragraphs but not more than ten paragraphs outlining an active, scholarly interest you have and how you can advance that scholarly interest as an associate member of the Royal Society.

Requirements for Fellow of the Royal Society:

1. A Royal Fellow will have met all of the requirements for associate membership.
2. A Royal Fellow will possess at a minimum the equivalency of a High School Diploma
3. A Royal Fellow must declare upon application a scholarly interest and to maintain membership at this level will present at least one lecture annually on that topic.

Requirements for Senior Fellow of the Royal Society:

1. A Senior Fellow will have met all of the requirements for Fellow of the Royal Society.
2. A Senior Fellow will possess at a minimum the equivalency of a two-year Degree from a college, university, or technical school.
3. A Senior Fellow will present at minimum one lecture per year and participate in the annual Royal Society Symposium either as a lecturer or presenter."

The Society used to be the University and it was pretty different, some years ago.  When it was referred to as the University, people would offer lecture series and full courses devoted to things that interested them.  The old message board shows a bit of how it used to be: https://talossa.proboards.com/board/30/royal-society-advancement-knowledge  I actually taught two classes when that was a thing: one on wiki-markup and another on the writer Ernest Hemingway.

I suppose that, technically speaking, there are no existing fellows or senior fellows.  The only one who has ever offered a lecture is @Ian Plätschisch , I think, and that was a few years ago.  And there's never been a symposium, ever.  I'm not sure who's in charge, but nothing's been done with the place basically since they eliminated the University and replaced it with the Society.  It'd be great if a scholar took charge and started keeping track of things.  If it were me, I'd put @Ian Plätschisch , @Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac'hlerglünä da Lhiun  , and @Ián Tamorán S.H.  as sitting senior fellows, since they're people who I know have presented us actual new work in a scholarly way, and reboot the whole thing otherwise with everyone else who'd been involved demoted to associates until they did something.

Excuse me Baron, I've been a Senior Fellow for several years

Davinescu
The Most Honourable General Txoteu É. Davinescu, O.SPM

Senator for Maricopa, Kingdom of Talossa

I apologize, Seneschal.  I looked closely for any of the required lectures given by Senior Fellows, and didn't see yours.  I would suggest that they should perhaps be posted more publicly. Possibly link to them from the wiki?

Is there not a public depository of presentations and documents from members? Since one of the major, required fucntions of research and educational institutions is the sharing, review, commentary and advancement of knowledge, I would think that this is not just essential but required.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on April 20, 2022, 12:08:48 AM
I apologize, Seneschal.  I looked closely for any of the required lectures given by Senior Fellows, and didn't see yours.  I would suggest that they should perhaps be posted more publicly. Possibly link to them from the wiki?

The whole story is basically this: a long time ago, there was a University of Talossa, created during the 24th Clark (1999) by a bill from @Istefan Perþonest .  I'm not sure anything happened with it really for years, except for the usual appointment-fest for new institutions, up until about 2008.  From then until 2014 or so, it was the site of sporadic lectures, discussions, and even full courses.  During those six years, it basically achieved what it was intended to achieve from its inception: providing a place where scholarship of all kinds could be presented and appreciated.  Talossa is full of nerds, so it worked well.

Unfortunately, that was the high point of the institution, and it started to get quieter and quieter after that.  I think mostly @Ian Plätschisch and @Iac Marscheir posted things like essays for their classes, with @Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu and Ian Tamoran posting essays they wrote about teaching and the like.  After a couple of years, some MZs decided that branding might be the problem, and so it was rebranded as the Royal Society.  This was accompanied by the institution of the current set of rules, which I copied over above.  And nothing's happened since, pretty much, except (amusingly) that the Society voted to give members post-nominals.

There is no central place that's collected the past publications, and most of them aren't in the Wiki library.  And I don't think any of the Fellows or Senior Fellows have done anything in the institution in years (including our Seneschal -- beyond the decision to award himself some post-nominals).  I don't foresee any of this changing in the foreseeable future, either, without some changes here.  As I said before, I think that someone new should be put in charge, and they should demote almost everyone to Associate outside of those mentioned in this post.  There's a lot that can happen here and a lot of potential, and we should take advantage of it.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I've been giving this some thought and I think I will apply to become a Senior Fellow. My curiosity however is what type of lecture should be presented. My expertise is in public school education, but I would think that whatever the topic of a lecture is, it should be at least tangentially relevant to Talossa. Hmm.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 21, 2022, 01:51:39 PM
I've been giving this some thought and I think I will apply to become a Senior Fellow. My curiosity however is what type of lecture should be presented. My expertise is in public school education, but I would think that whatever the topic of a lecture is, it should be at least tangentially relevant to Talossa. Hmm.

I don't think it necessarily has to be relevant to Talossa. Scholars of other countries don't limit their lectures and research to only subject matter related to their homeland. The whole point of a Society for the Advancement of Knowledge is for citizens to share their knowledge and expand the horizons of their fellow countrymen (and women). No matter the field of study, the sharing of knowledge and research can only improve society and by extension the country as a whole.
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 21, 2022, 01:51:39 PM

There are no rules about what can be presented, and in the past only a small fraction of things presented had anything to do with Talossa. I think it's great that you want to join! Really, I think anyone who writes any kind of lectures or essays or whatever should join, and share them here. It was always really cool to see what everyone was working on, and I always learned something about math from @Ian Plätschisch 's posts.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on April 21, 2022, 04:11:24 PM

There are no rules about what can be presented, and in the past only a small fraction of things presented had anything to do with Talossa. I think it's great that you want to join! Really, I think anyone who writes any kind of lectures or essays or whatever should join, and share them here. It was always really cool to see what everyone was working on, and I always learned something about math from @Ian Plätschisch 's posts.
Math fact of the day: "sexy primes" are primes that differ by six (as opposed to twin primes that differ by two and cousin primes that differ by four)

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

I do have a number of lectures available on a number of theatrical topics.  Would people actually be interested in seeing some of those things? 
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Yes! Seeing, archiving, and indexing for public use!

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on April 22, 2022, 03:41:09 PM
I do have a number of lectures available on a number of theatrical topics.  Would people actually be interested in seeing some of those things?