News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Comment: Proposed Provincial Mergers

Started by Viteu, July 26, 2022, 03:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viteu

The issue of a provincial merger involving the United Provinces of Vuode and Dandenburg ("Vuode") has once more arisen. 

The Expedition of the Thousand Act, presently before the Assembly of Benito, proposes that Vuode, Florencia, and Benito merge into a new province named Garibaldi (the "Benito Scheme")

Separately, Maritiimi-Maxhestic ("M-M") is gauging local interest in reviving a proposed scheme that would have M-M and Vuode remain separate provinces at the national level, each maintaining their own Cunstaval and Senator, while forming a joint legislature for provincial-level matters (the "M-M Scheme").  I understand that Senator Grischun had drafted a proposed constitution to this effect in 2015. 

First, Vuode, at present, does not have an active government and therefore cannot pass legislation for either proposal.  This can be remedied following the next national election should Vuodians elect to claim their seats in the Estats Xhenerais. 

Second, I take this opportunity to reiterate my opposition to any formal merger at this time.  Therefore, I do not support the Benito Scheme

Third, I am unfamiliar with the M-M Scheme as it originated in my time away from Talossa and, in my estimation, has not come up since my return. My preliminary impression is one of intrigue, and I am happy to consider it in good faith. 

I invite all citizens of Vuode to make their wishes known and indicate if they are open to discussion/debate. 

I intend to take my seat in the E-X at the next election.  While the Benito Scheme is dead-on-arrival for me, the M-M Scheme seems promising. 

-V

Edits: typos
Viteu Marcianüs
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort

Former FreeDem (Vote PRESENT)

Tric'hard Lenxheir

After my one term in the E X and seeing how limited (nonexistent) participation is at the provincial level, I fully support some sort of merger. I did not claim my seat this election cycle because it seemed to be a wasted effort.
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Miestră Schivă, UrN

A query and a comment from an outsider:

1) query: is it too late to convene the E-X now?
2) comment: my reading of the Organic Law (IX.1) on this issue suggests that the Province needs to consent to any merger, but it says nothing about needing the Provincial Government to agree or even exist. The Florencian government agreed to the F-F merger but a referendum said otherwise. If the E-X cannot convene this term, all that would be needed would be for a referendum in Vuode to approve the merger and the merger constitution. As is my understanding.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Viteu

1)   The E-X is de jure convened by operation of law; but because it has no sitting members, it's de facto not convened.  There is no method by which we can claim our seats in the E-X until the next GE.

2)   Reading XI.1 in whole, I would read the first part talking about self-governance, autonomy, and administration to imply that consent of the province means provincial government.  Whether that also requires a referendum is another question.  But otherwise, on what authority could the merger be submitted to the people of a province without the consent of the provincial government? I don't know how I feel about the Ziu pushing a referendum on a province without the provincial government acquiescing, and how that flows with the provincial right to self-governance and autonomy.

I add that the M-M Scheme requires no consent of the Ziu.
Viteu Marcianüs
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort

Former FreeDem (Vote PRESENT)