Should Board Names on Witt be in Talossan

Yes
4 (66.7%)
No
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 07, 2022, 04:50:34 PM

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Would it be possible to put the Talossan names for the different boards, and put the English name at the start of the description in quotes?  It might be a little way to sneak in some more glheþ into our daily lives.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

To be honest, I don't see the point of that.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on March 31, 2022, 02:00:00 PM
To be honest, I don't see the point of that.
It wouldn't be momentous or anything, but it would give visitors a sense of the language and maybe help encourage people to incorporate it a little bit more into their daily use.

Very much a "can't hurt, might help" kind of thing.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 31, 2022, 02:11:36 PM
It wouldn't be momentous or anything, but it would give visitors a sense of the language and maybe help encourage people to incorporate it a little bit more into their daily use.

Very much a "can't hurt, might help" kind of thing.

People are already struggling with the words and names that are in use (how many of you know how to pronounce glheþ, Ziu or Ian? No cheating!), adding even more to keep track of wouldn't help with that I don't think.

But do we need to know how to pronounce them in order to learn them? I know all three of those, even if I'm only about half sure of the pronunciations, and that's better than not knowing them at all!

I'll let others weigh in, but I just think it's worth a try.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 31, 2022, 02:37:33 PM
But do we need to know how to pronounce them in order to learn them?

Yes, obviously! I've seen people who didnt know how to spell their own name because to them it's just a meaningless sequence of letters on a screen instead of real words. This country's cultural policy has been neglecting pronunciations of words since forever, when in any other language the spoken word is way more important than the written one.

I dont mean to attack your idea or anything, it's just that I think there are other ways of getting citizens to use Talossan more that might be more effective long-term.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

But do we need to know how to pronounce them in order to learn them? I know all three of those, even if I'm only about half sure of the pronunciations, and that's better than not knowing them at all!

Alternately, I could put the Talossan name as the first part of the description, followed by the purpose as already present.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on March 31, 2022, 03:41:19 PM

Alternately, I could put the Talossan name as the first part of the description, followed by the purpose as already present.

You're in charge of Witt, with really broad authority to set it up as you prefer. So it's really up to you. I don't really see any downside to titling the boards in our national language, but if there is significant opposition, I guess this is a good compromise.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on March 31, 2022, 02:47:50 PM
But do we need to know how to pronounce them in order to learn them?

Yes, obviously! I've seen people who didnt know how to spell their own name because to them it's just a meaningless sequence of letters on a screen instead of real words. This country's cultural policy has been neglecting pronunciations of words since forever, when in any other language the spoken word is way more important than the written one.

I dont mean to attack your idea or anything, it's just that I think there are other ways of getting citizens to use Talossan more that might be more effective long-term.

I think this is true, but it's also a consequence of how our citizens relate to each other. The vast majority of our interaction is with the written word, and the vast majority of examples of our language is in the written word. There's very few recordings of anyone speaking it at all. I think that is likely to change more quickly if people become more familiar with it, even if it is still just by exposure to the written word. But all that being said, I would love it if there were more examples of spoken Talossan. Even a few short dialogues posted on YouTube would go a long way.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 31, 2022, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on March 31, 2022, 03:41:19 PM

You're in charge of Witt, with really broad authority to set it up as you prefer. So it's really up to you. I don't really see any downside to titling the boards in our national language, but if there is significant opposition, I guess this is a good compromise.

I like the idea in general, but  also very cautious. Let's see where public sentiment lies.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

I posted a poll at the top of this thread.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on March 31, 2022, 04:52:24 PM
I posted a poll at the top of this thread.

Only six people have voted so far in the poll for this topic. Hopefully more of you will weigh in. Thanks.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal