Questions about Talossan? Ask here!

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, March 31, 2022, 05:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Have you ever had a question about the Talossan language but were too afraid to ask it? Would you just like to know how a certain word or name is spelled or pronounced? If so, please ask all your questions here, and I'll make a video where I'll (try to) answer them all!
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

https://youtu.be/LnKq_v5tUGM

If you think I missed any words, feel free to suggest them here.
Please let me know if there are any errors in this video, I'll fix them as soon as possible.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on April 04, 2022, 01:55:03 PM

Please let me know if there are any errors in this video, I'll fix them as soon as possible.

OK, to cross-post this on Fora Talossa?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Thank you so much for this! It's one thing to hear the pronunciation in your head, but it's something very different to hear it spoken aloud. I would love to hear, not only words, but sentences strung together to get a better idea of the flow of stress.
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on April 04, 2022, 01:55:03 PM

This was kind of like a fun game, because I would say the word out loud before you did, and counted how many I got right. Let's just say it was not a majority... although it wasn't zero!

Great work!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

This is very cool! Thanks for doing it!
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Names have always been somewhat of an issue in Talossa, so heres the sequel-spin off of "How Do You Say This Word?"

https://youtu.be/86Abfmr1xJk

If something is wrong, do not hesitate to let me know!

Sir Lüc

I seem to have done a little better with the first video than the second. I miiiight be a little shocked that I constantly mispronounced "xh" all this time as /ʒ/ rather than straight up /dʒ/... Also I had no idea about /ɬ/ in "tamlalt" and "Válcadác'h". My stress was also all over the place, especially for surnames :c

as always, great job ^^ Marcel for UrGP when
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

I don't have a specific question, but I am on the hunt for specific resources. Several years ago a cheat sheet of sorts was prepared with common phrases and terms called Prüms Päçen in Ladintsch. I have a copy from 2015 (it is a 2-pager). Does anyone know if there has been an update to this or how out of date it might be? I'm terrible with the language but I am striving to at least use as much of it as I can.

Thanks!
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on December 08, 2022, 04:28:36 PM#1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/193aAgfPgLsqvom2U2ztjGe5NQKRYy9Ao/view?usp=share_link
#2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cuPomLHwoCFvz3nuKhF809IWggr_az0h/view?usp=share_link

Yeesh, no, the first one you linked is the original original Prüms Päçen from 2007. The one from 2015 is this one.

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă on December 08, 2022, 03:53:57 PMDoes anyone know if there has been an update to this or how out of date it might be?

They're out of date unfortunately, and there has been no update to them since. As a rule of thumb, everything published before 2019 uses an outdated spelling of the language.

Thank you Sir Marcel and Baron Davinescu. What I have then is apparently the most current form.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

þerxh Sant-Enogat

Hello, I have asked to ChatGPT to speak Talossan.. I am not really sure of the correctness of the use of "el glheþ" !! Do you know what ChatGPT uses as a proxy ?

Q: Can you explain in talossan what is talossa ?

A: Certamen in Talossa, jo es un pais virtual creit da la internet e fondat in 1980. El es un patria imaginarie, con su proprie cultura, politica, e lingua, e es governat per un monarc'a e un parlament. In Talossa, le persone pote participar in le vita politic e cultural del pais, creante contento e artefactos cultural, e votante pro le candidatos in electiones. Le lingua official de Talossa es talossan, un lingua construite que es un mixtura de divers lingua romanicas e germanic, e es usate pro comunicar intra le communia talossan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Seneschal, Minister of Immigration, Minister of STUFF,
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Duceu del TNC / Congreßeu Naziunal da Talossa
Former Prospective Citizen