20th Assembly

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, April 20, 2022, 11:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

20th
Convocation of the
Provincial Assembly of
Maritiimi-Maxhestic

To commemorate today, the holiday of Maritiimi-Maxhestic Istuporaziua, I hereby act as Grand General Secretary to convene this 19th convocation of the Provincial Assembly of Maritiimi-Maxhestic.  The Assembly is constituted of those citizens who acted to claim their seats during the latest assembly call, and closes with the end of the national balloting (CBLA.C.1).

The Assemblypersons for this term shall be as follows, listed in alphabetical order:

• Alexandreu Davinescu
  • Ian Plätschisch

With the new convocation, my term as GGS ends.  I wish to suggest the following initial agenda, however.

1. Nominations for Grand General Secretary.
2. GGS vote.
3. Consideration of the election laws and the brief Assembly Call period.
4. Consideration of the vacant post of M3.
5. Consideration of the vacant post of GSU.
6. Names for parishes.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

I nominate myself for GGS.  @Ian Plätschisch , it's also fine with me if you want it be you, but I figure you're probably busy.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on April 20, 2022, 11:33:58 AM
I nominate myself for GGS.  @Ian Plätschisch , it's also fine with me if you want it be you, but I figure you're probably busy.
I think we changed the law a while ago so the Senator cannot be the GGS

Okay, then nominations are closed and the voting is open.  I vote for myself.

Ian Plätschisch

Okay, vote's closed and I'm the GGS, yay me, okay.

So I'm not sure the assembly call thing is working.  Seems like we might want to have a way to get new people into the Assembly more often than every eight to nine months.  We can't just make it at will, though, since then it's going to be heavily prejudiced depending on whenever something comes before us that's contentious.  So I was thinking we should decouple from the national elections and hold our calls more frequently.  Maybe a convocation is reduced in length to four months?  That's only a third in length of what it used to be, before Cosa lengths were so significantly increased in length.

Ian Plätschisch

Had a quick glance, I thought this was in response to NRB's post right before you, and I was deeply surprised!

For a quick thing to do, I move that we adopt this map as the official parish and township divisions within M-M: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=18kL64SOyREtRFcd-0KNRpxQTEnG9uvGY&ll=43.0433796569513%2C-87.8993006347944&z=17

Tafi did it, and he did a good job.  Is there a second?

Ian Plätschisch

Excellent. That's 100% of the assembly, so we can deem that passed.

Okay, so the Grischun plan seems to have at least the tacit approval of anyone paying attention in either Vuode or Maritiimi-Maxhestic.  I would have preferred for Vuode to become a canton of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, and I am opposed to a permanent merger which otherwise eliminates our provincial culture forever, so I think it's a good path forward.

The plan was proposed in 2016, and in brief it would maintain the two provinces on a national level, while all provincial matters would be handled by a joint provincial assembly: the Provincial Assembly of the United Territories of Maritiimi, Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandeburg.  This would allow for some concentration of provincial-level participation, but without dissolving anything irrevocably (so this could be undone in the future).

Now, as I understand it, this will require us to amend our constitution in large part, and we need to do so in conjunction with Vuode so that the end result works together and binds both bodies equally.  I think we're looking at these specific components:

-Elections.  How are people elected/represented in this new body?
-Scope of power.  What can it do?  Probably just authority to exercise all powers not delegated to the Ziu by the OrgLaw or reserved for each province.  Is there anything we want to reserve to each province independently, still?
-Abrogation of existing statutes.  All existing provincial laws in both provinces should be put into abeyance and become inactive.  The new assembly will need to hash out what law it wants to keep.
-Binding.  Specific language that prevents either province from withdrawing or altering any of the above without the consent of the new body.

Anything I'm missing?  Vuodeans, please chime in if you're on board or not.

@Tric'hard Lenxheir  , @Viteu , @Ian Plätschisch , @Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D. , @Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial ?

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on April 20, 2022, 02:16:37 PMOkay, vote's closed and I'm the GGS, yay me, okay.

So I'm not sure the assembly call thing is working.  Seems like we might want to have a way to get new people into the Assembly more often than every eight to nine months.  We can't just make it at will, though, since then it's going to be heavily prejudiced depending on whenever something comes before us that's contentious.  So I was thinking we should decouple from the national elections and hold our calls more frequently.  Maybe a convocation is reduced in length to four months?  That's only a third in length of what it used to be, before Cosa lengths were so significantly increased in length.
Any thoughts on this?

Ian Plätschisch

That could work. If the terms of the Assembly don't coincide with national elections, we could avoid confusion over which GGS is entitled to break a tie in a Senate election