Översteir 1.2

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, August 07, 2022, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Attention all present and future Ladintschen: Översteir 1.2 is now live!

The two new features are:

• Automatic pronunciation guides and syllabification: Clicking on any Talossan word, be it as a search result or as part of the Conjugation or Declension tools, will now show you how a word is pronounced and split into syllables. Pronunciation is given in both the International Phonetic Alphabet and in "Fauxnetics" for English speakers.
  • Filtered search: When looking up a word, you can now specify the part(s) of speech you're interested in. Very convenient.

With this update, the Översteir is now feature-complete, and aside from some cool ideas with no set deadline (Speech synthesis?), no new features are planned.
I would like to again thank Lüc da Schir wholeheartedly for his hard work. This wonderful website is all thanks to him.

If you find any bugs or errors, feel free to contact us (by which I mean me and Lüc)! You can do that either directly via Witt or Discord, or anonymously through the suggestion box that's linked at the bottom of the Översteir page.

That's it from me.
¡Enxhoietz-voi el noveu Översteir!
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Sir Lüc

So, like Marcel said, New Översteir is feature complete: it now does everything the old version did, and more. But this is most of what we really need from a dictionary, so we can't really think of anything to add that is, well, doable within our means and manpower.

Speech synthesis must be good in quality and accuracy, otherwise it's useless; we need a speech synthesis library that can be extended - not adapted - to Talossan. And full sentence translation probably needs AI and lots of training data, which Talossan doesn't really have, and probably needs specific expertise rather than my generic ML know-how.

Other new stuff, though:

• There's a guide tool (look for the ? icon on the top right) to help you remember what you can do with Översteir.
  • Översteir will now remember your preferred UI language (Talossan or English)! No need to bookmark the correct version of the link anymore.
  • Översteir should play better with mobile now - still, please report any weirdness if you happen to use it on Android or iOS.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

This is amazing and great work, guys! Congratulations and thank you so much! It's been a privilege to watch a bit of the collaboration that's happened. Awesome!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

This is absolutely marvelous! I can't wait to give it a spin! Thank you all so much for your hard work and dedication to this most important piece of Talossan culture!
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Tric'hard Lenxheir

That's funny, I typed in L'Översteir just to try it and it said my query didn't yield any results LOL
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on August 08, 2022, 12:34:18 PM
That's funny, I typed in L'Översteir just to try it and it said my query didn't yield any results LOL

That's because L' is merely an article and not part of the word itself. If you search for just "översteir", you should be getting a result.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on August 08, 2022, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on August 08, 2022, 12:34:18 PM

That's because L' is merely an article and not part of the word itself. If you search for just "översteir", you should be getting a result.

Ah yes, translator, thank you. I have considered trying to type some messages in Talossan but it is so difficult to put some of the alt characters in so the best you are likely to get from me is an Azul! LOL
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url