The Amada Mertgedes Martyrdom Memorial Act

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, February 27, 2020, 08:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Reposting the thread from Old Witt's Hopper to make sure it doesn't get lost

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Açafat del Val

QuoteA Senator vacates their seat if, unless prevented from doing so by the provisions of III.2 above, they fail to vote on two consecutive Clarks; or if they resign from office, lose their citizenship or die.

I strongly dislike referential phrases like this. What if III.2's text changes later? It adds unnecessary complication; it's best to write what you want where you want it.

Also, I do personally support nonpersonal or nongender pronouns, but if we remove 'he' and 'his' in this clause, it would not be uniform with the rest of the OrgLaw. If we want to make each section gender-neutral, then we should amend the whole document together and not piecemeal.

Accordingy, may I suggest the following changes?

QuoteA Senator vacates his seat whenever he, having had both the right and the qualification to vote in the Senäts, may have failed anyways to do so on two consecutive Clarks; or whenever he may resign from office, lose his citizenship, or die./quote]
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I'm not budging on gender-neutral language. The rest of the OrgLaw has to change.

===

WHEREAS OrgLaw III.2 (before Still Into This, IV.4) provides that a Senator could not "vote their seat" until they qualified through length of citizenship or service;

AND WHEREAS OrgLaw III.5 (before Still Into This, V.5) provides that a Senator who does not vote on two consecutive Clarks loses their seat;

AND WHEREAS the intention of HM King John, who authored the first clause, was not that the combination of the two clauses would lead to someone to whom the first clause applied falling victim to the second clause;

AND WHEREAS this is not how the Secretary of State, and the current Attorney-General, have interpreted the law;

AND WHEREAS the Government has decided not to take the issue to Cort, but instead prefers to allow the Ziu to sort it out:

BE IT ENACTED by the King, Cosa and Senäts in Ziu assembled that OrgLaw III.5, which currently reads:

QuoteA Senator vacates his seat if he fails to vote on two consecutive Clarks, or if he resigns from office, loses his citizenship or dies.
is amended to read:

QuoteA Senator vacates their seat if, not being disqualified from voting by law, they do not vote on two consecutive Clarks; or if they resign from office, lose their citizenship or die.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

The Opposition would like to register their support of this measure.  For all of the concern of "shuffling the hats" in Talossan politics, we shoudl not be unnecessarily be disqualifying active persons.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito