CRL Committee for the 57th Cosa

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, April 25, 2022, 11:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

El Lexhatx provides for a legislative advisory committee, el Comità da Redacziun Legislatïu.  Most meaningful bills must be submitted to this committee before they may be added to the Clark.
Quote from: Lexh.H
6.4. After a legislative proposal has spent at least 10 days in the Hopper, its proposer may request that it "move to committee". No bill may be Clarked without being "moved to committee", except as provided by Lex.H.6.2 or Lex.H.6.3.
6.5. A Legislative Advisory Committee of Talossa (in Talossan, el Comità da Redacziun Legislatïu; and hereinafter, "the CRL") shall review or revise all legislative items from the Hopper once they have moved to committee; and may recommend acceptance or rejection, or suggest amendments in their best judgment.
6.5.1 The CRL shall conduct all its deliberations openly in the Hopper.
6.5.2 The CRL shall consist of the incumbent Mençéi, Túischac'h, and Avocat-Xheneral.
6.5.3. The CRL may create further committees to which their functions may be delegated, as concerns any bill or category of bills. Such a committee must have at least 3 members, including at least 1 MC and at least 1 Senator.
6.6. After the CRL has given its recommendation, or if it gives no recommendation within 30 days of the bill having passed to committee, the bill has passed the hopper and the sponsor of the bill may ask for it to be Clarked, with or without amendments.

Current members: @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu , @Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu , @Miestră Schivă, UrN .

Submitting your bill to the CRL is as simple as posting in this thread and requesting that we take a look.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

The Fixing Citizenship Act

WHEREAS our statutory law is sometimes filled with errors whenever changes are made elsewhere to it, or in the Organic Law;

and WHEREAS one of the unfortunate jobs of the Secretary of State is to revoke citizenship for "those poor, unfortunate souls" at the end of an election cycle (Little Mermaid reference was intended!);

and WHEREAS reading El.Lex and realizing that it is, sadly, filled with errors, and seeing that as the Secretary of State, I am entitled to hopper bills;

BE IT RESOLVED that the Ziu does amend El.Lex 14, which currently reads, "An individual whose citizenship has been terminated solely by effect of Article XVIII, Section 10 of the Organic Law may apply to the Chancery for reinstatement of citizenship by providing the contact information required by section E.2. (47RZ46)"

SHALL BE AMENDED to read "An individual whose citizenship has been terminated solely by effect of Article X Section 5 of the Organic Law may apply to the Chancery for reinstatement of citizenship by providing the contact information required by E.2."

Uréu q'estadra så
Dr. Txec dal Nordselvă, - Secretár d'Estat
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Also too, the Attorney-General. Until further notice, that's me.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

The One Milestone at a Time Act

Whereas, every Talossan goes through meaningful milestones over the course of their lives, and

Whereas, it is a reasonable prerogative of the Kingdom to participate in celebrating the most meaningful of these milestones, and

Whereas, the longevity of each citizen's membership in the Kingdom is one of the most meaningful of milestones for each Talossan.

Therefore, be it resolved:

That a new section is added under D.1 The Government in El Lexhatx reading as follows:

D 1.6.: Under the auspices of a program developed and administered by the Office of the Seneschal (Seneschal, Distain, or other official delegated responsibility) each citizen meeting specific time thresholds as a Talossan citizen, may request a certificate, signed by the Crown and the Seneschal. The suggested citizenship milestones are 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, 50 years, and 75 years.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)
Mximo Carbonel (MC-RCT)
Baron Alexandreu Davinescu (MC-TNC)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 25, 2022, 10:32:05 PM
Also too, the Attorney-General. Until further notice, that's me.
Sure, for right now.  Will you be remaining A-X, or is that up in the air?  Just curious.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 25, 2022, 12:05:10 PM
The Fixing Citizenship Act

WHEREAS our statutory law is sometimes filled with errors whenever changes are made elsewhere to it, or in the Organic Law;

and WHEREAS one of the unfortunate jobs of the Secretary of State is to revoke citizenship for "those poor, unfortunate souls" at the end of an election cycle (Little Mermaid reference was intended!);

and WHEREAS reading El.Lex and realizing that it is, sadly, filled with errors, and seeing that as the Secretary of State, I am entitled to hopper bills;

BE IT RESOLVED that the Ziu does amend El.Lex 14, which currently reads, "An individual whose citizenship has been terminated solely by effect of Article XVIII, Section 10 of the Organic Law may apply to the Chancery for reinstatement of citizenship by providing the contact information required by section E.2. (47RZ46)"

SHALL BE AMENDED to read "An individual whose citizenship has been terminated solely by effect of Article X Section 5 of the Organic Law may apply to the Chancery for reinstatement of citizenship by providing the contact information required by E.2."

Uréu q'estadra så
I think you need to either write out "el Lexhatx" or use the abbreviation mandated in Z.2 when you're discussing the section to be changed in your resolution clause.  Otherwise, this looks fine and probably can be moved through quickly.  I recommend passage, predicated on that bit of language being cleaned up.  @Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu , @Miestră Schivă, UrN ?

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on April 26, 2022, 08:16:12 AM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 25, 2022, 12:05:10 PM
The Poor Unfortunate Souls Citizenship Act

and WHEREAS reading El Lexhatx and realizing that it is, sadly, filled with errors, and seeing that as the Secretary of State, I am entitled to hopper bills;

BE IT RESOLVED that the Ziu does amend El Lexhatx E.14, which currently reads, "An individual whose citizenship has been terminated solely by effect of Article XVIII, Section 10 of the Organic Law may apply to the Chancery for reinstatement of citizenship by providing the contact information required by section E.2. (47RZ46)"

Uréu q'estadra så
I think you need to either write out "el Lexhatx" or use the abbreviation mandated in Z.2 when you're discussing the section to be changed in your resolution clause.  Otherwise, this looks fine and probably can be moved through quickly.  I recommend passage, predicated on that bit of language being cleaned up.  @Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu , @Miestră Schivă, UrN ?

Fixed (in the quote above).
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

With the fix, I see nothing inherently wrong with "The Fixing Citizenship Act."

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on April 26, 2022, 03:42:47 PM

Any objections if I rename the act "The Poor, Unfortunate Souls Citizenship Act"? I quite forgot about clever bill naming as it's been quite some time since I proposed a bill.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Hey you guys, sorry, late to the party, just went down with a minor pandemic last week.

But I was re-reading the CRL establishment legislation, and by the looks of things, people aren't allowed to bring bills to the CRL unless they've spent 10 days in the Hopper (El Lexhatx H.6.4).

Is my reading correct? I realise we didn't do this last time, but it appears to be the law.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on May 01, 2022, 03:32:22 PM
Hey you guys, sorry, late to the party, just went down with a minor pandemic last week.

But I was re-reading the CRL establishment legislation, and by the looks of things, people aren't allowed to bring bills to the CRL unless they've spent 10 days in the Hopper (El Lexhatx H.6.4).

Is my reading correct? I realise we didn't do this last time, but it appears to be the law.
Okay, sounds fine to me.

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 26, 2022, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on April 26, 2022, 03:42:47 PM

Any objections if I rename the act "The Poor, Unfortunate Souls Citizenship Act"? I quite forgot about clever bill naming as it's been quite some time since I proposed a bill.
Sounds fine.  Please consider this bill passed through committee.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Just noted we hadn't gotten around to this one.

I'm not sure about the wording "Under the auspices of etc etc etc." I would prefer something much more straightforward, like:

D 1.6.: The Government shall develop and administer a programme whereby each citizen meeting specific time thresholds as a Talossan citizen, may request a certificate, signed by the Crown and the Seneschal. The suggested citizenship milestones are 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, 50 years, and 75 years.

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on April 26, 2022, 07:34:06 AM
The One Milestone at a Time Act

Whereas, every Talossan goes through meaningful milestones over the course of their lives, and

Whereas, it is a reasonable prerogative of the Kingdom to participate in celebrating the most meaningful of these milestones, and

Whereas, the longevity of each citizen's membership in the Kingdom is one of the most meaningful of milestones for each Talossan.

Therefore, be it resolved:

That a new section is added under D.1 The Government in El Lexhatx reading as follows:

D 1.6.: Under the auspices of a program developed and administered by the Office of the Seneschal (Seneschal, Distain, or other official delegated responsibility) each citizen meeting specific time thresholds as a Talossan citizen, may request a certificate, signed by the Crown and the Seneschal. The suggested citizenship milestones are 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, 50 years, and 75 years.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)
Mximo Carbonel (MC-RCT)
Baron Alexandreu Davinescu (MC-TNC)

Miestră Schivă, UrN

AD, ESB, if you guys don't put your 2 bence in, Brenéir can't clark this until next time (as is my understanding).

We should lay some ground rules as to what "the CRL giving its recommendation" under El Lex H.6.6. Does this mean we have to have a 2/3 majority on an official report back? Or something looser, i.e. all 3 of us or maybe even just 2 of us having our say?