News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Webhosting 508 errors

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, February 22, 2020, 04:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So, er... is there anything we can do about this?

And that includes the possibility of paying for better service from DeRoyal.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sir Lüc

First off, the wording of the 508 error is misleading, and by the way error 508 does not even exist as a standard HTML code. The problem is not bandwidth, it's simply 100% CPU usage on our server. This happens routinely (every Sunday) for a few seconds when Witt and Wiki are backed up.

Regarding yesterday's lengthy outage, it was caused by a number of identical processes clogging up the resources. These processes are all instances of the php-cgi parser, so I assume that something, somewhere, is freezing the parser. (Note that you can't see this through cPanel, you have to manually SSH in.)

There is an "easy" temporary fix, until we troubleshoot further - simply schedule a killall -9 "php" as a cron job, every few minutes. Since normal php requests take less than seconds, you would be very unlucky to kill a legit request (and I don't think it would be a huge hassle if it happened), while you should easily clear away any stuck processes.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă