[FOR DISCUSSION] Provincial Symbols, Take 2

Started by Audrada Roibeardet, June 27, 2022, 12:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audrada Roibeardet

The topic of provincial symbols was discussed some time ago on Old Witt. I did some digging and found the thread. It looks like we may have agreed on the list of symbols but I never got around to proposing a bill. Here's the list that I think we agreed on.

Tree- Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
Flower- Cutleaf Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata)
Animal- Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes)
Bird- Robin (Turdus migratorius)
Fish- Northern Pike (Esox lucius)
Insect- Bumble bee (Bombus impatiens)
Mineral- Millerite
Rock- Granite

This list was supplemented by the official symbols of the Republic listed below.

Lunch Food: Stubborn Sandwich.
Hot Drink: Talossan Cider.
Sweet Snack: Talossa Bonnet
Entertainer: Violent Femmes
Football Team: Milwaukee Wave
Automobile: Trabant

Upon review of the list, I have a couple of alternative suggestions.

While Talossan Cider is undoubtedly a Talossan tradition, I doubt many of us drink it on a regular basis. I think there are only two logical choices for the Hot Drink category: coffee or tea. This could be a controversial decision given the never-ending debate between coffee and tea drinkers. I personally prefer coffee to tea so I suggest that we replace Talossan Cider with Coffee.

To be honest, I can't recall why the Trabant was made the official automobile of the Republic. I vaguely remember it had something to do with Deet. I personally think that we shouldn't officially endorse and codify into law any kind of automobile. Instead, I suggest we replace the "Automobile" with a provincial "Vehicle" and that vehicle should be the Bicycle. It's environmentally friendly and it's great for both physical and mental health. Additionally, bicycles are far easier to obtain and maintain than the obsolete Trabant.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I think this is an excellent list and I have no suggested amendments.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Audrada Roibeardet

Any thoughts on the suggested substitutions? Did you have a suggestion for entertainer? It felt like you weren't entirely onboard with The Violent Femmes.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Can't imagine why that would be, I dig a lot of VF songs, so go for it.

Frankly, I am so pleased that someone wants to keep Fiova alive that you can pretty much do what you want! The Trabbie thing was I think Jim Morgan's idea more than Dieter's - Deet is no GDR nostalgist.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Audrada Roibeardet

Anybody else around here? Or should I just propose this?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

As SoS, I think I can send out an email to everyone in the province telling them an actual vote is happening, if you'd like?

Audrada Roibeardet

Hold off on that. I'll come up with a proposal first and then you can contact them. I'll post the proposal tomorrow and if they want to amend it, they can.