News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Talossan Time zone?

Started by Audrada Roibeardet, July 04, 2022, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audrada Roibeardet

I'm too lazy to look it up. Do we have an official time zone? Is it the US Central Time Zone? Wouldn't it make more sense to use UTC?

xpb

I believe Talossan standard or summer time corresponds to Central Time and Cézembre time is UTC+1 similar to Central European time
As per A10 https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=607.msg5402#msg5402

Miestră Schivă, UrN

King Robert briefly declared Talossan Standard Time to be GMT sometime in the 80s. He thought better of it when it proved... impractical for daily activities.

Our mystical connection to Milwaukee sort of requires us to take Milwaukee standard time as the basis. Although maybe we can move it half an hour in either direction, like North Korea did.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ián Tamorán S.H.

I still think that Talossan time should use a "48 hour 2 second" day (though maybe we can drop the two seconds!) to recognise the fact that any given day of the week ends 48 hours after it starts on this planet.  The start of a day is the instant it starts on the International Date Line - the appearance of the leading edge; and the end of a day is the instant the trailing edge of the day (24 hours after the leading edge) also reaches the International Date Line as it disappears.  This has the truly Talossan eccentricity - nay, logic! - of there being two Talossan days active at any one moment.

And why should we not? This is Talossa, after all - not any other country!  ;)

And timezone? It definitely should be UTC, to reflect our global reach.... but I'm probably going to be shouted down on that suggestion too!
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

Ián Tamorán S.H.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 05, 2022, 04:09:06 PM
King Robert briefly declared Talossan Standard Time to be GMT sometime in the 80s. He thought better of it when it proved... impractical for daily activities.....
UTC (not GMT) is used worldwide in weather forecasting, but translated to local time for informing the public. So it's not entirely impractical - Talossans just have to be more, well, Talossan in quoting dates/times.
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

xpb

This just popped up in my unread items.

Perhaps a better method would be to adopt https://www.swatch.com/en-us/internet-time.html which establishes 1000 coordinated beats per day.

http://www.swatchclock.com

posted around 922 on Xmas eve

Bentxamì Puntmasleu

I am biased, both as a Milwaukeean and as a mathematical dunce, so take my position with those grains of salt in mind. I don't think we should go too far with experimental timekeeping systems. It isn't that I am opposed to experimentation with timekeeping. After all, what is Talossa without experimentation where other nations fear to tread? (The answer, IMHO, is "still substantial but not quite as interesting.") I just feel we should have some sort of accepted system taking primacy. Given our historic connection to Milwaukee (I am fervent about this connection but I understand my passion is not necessarily shared by all my compatriots), my positon is that U.S. central time should remain the standard time for Talossa in perpetuity. Secondarily to that, we might consider using the time zone most familiar to a plurality (or majority) of Talossa citizens, according to the most recent census. Tertiarily, we could use some experimental timekeeping system. I have not actually researched xpb's suggestion, though I will after posting this. Anyway, that's my two bents.
Grefieir d'Abbavilla / Scribe of Abbavilla

Zirecteir dels Afaes Înphätseschti / Director of Home Affairs

Premieir da Vuode / Premier of Vuode

Bentxamì Puntmasleu

Due to my own geographic fixation, I neglected to acknowledge that Cézembre is integral a component of Talossan territory as the East Side of Milwaukee. (Péngöpäts somewhat less so, but worthy of some degree of consideration nevertheless). I argue that U.S. central time and the time zone applicable to Cézembre should both be co-equal primary time zones.
Grefieir d'Abbavilla / Scribe of Abbavilla

Zirecteir dels Afaes Înphätseschti / Director of Home Affairs

Premieir da Vuode / Premier of Vuode

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: xpb on December 24, 2023, 03:09:26 PMThis just popped up in my unread items.

Perhaps a better method would be to adopt https://www.swatch.com/en-us/internet-time.html which establishes 1000 coordinated beats per day.

http://www.swatchclock.com

posted around 922 on Xmas eve

Aah, glad to see I'm not the only one who knows about @.beats!

I thought about a system of like it centered on the GTA years ago, but I didnt go very far with it. If there's demand for it I could remake it.

(posted on December 26, @145)
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!