News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Vuode Merger

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, July 12, 2022, 06:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

In 2015, our Greatest of provinces almost merged with Vuode.  A couple of years ago, we polled the issue, and it was still affirmative here.  Should we get discussions going again?  The terms were mostly sorted in 2015 with a possible constitution written by Vuodean Etho Grischun -- essentially the two provinces would remain independent on the national level, with their own custavais and senators, but provincial-level matters would be handled by a joint legislature.  Thoughts?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

Eðo Grischun

Bump. 

Are the citizens of MM and VD open to this?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

100% of the current M-M government supports the overall plan, I think.

We should actually make this happen!  Going to put it on my to-do list.

Üc R. Tärfă

8 years ago I was vehemently against this idea, and I'm still are. If the provinces wants to merge fine, but they can't merge their provincial government and keeping two senators at the national level.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Üc R. Tärfă

Beacause it's undemocratic and inorganic: merge your Provinçùns (or abolish the senate) otherwise it's like trying to cheat the system of equal representation in Senäts
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

I don't really see how it is cheating the system. There's nothing anti-democratic about it, either.

There's no real reason why national and local representation have to have exactly matching boundaries. When I look at my American representation, none of the following have contiguous boundaries: my fire department district, my town, my state representative district, my state senator district, my congressional representative district or my senator's district.

It might be undemocratic in some way if the voting power of other citizens were affected, but no one's representation will be affected at all, either in the merged provinces or anywhere else.

Tric'hard Lenxheir

As a citizen of Vuode (and the elected Senator) I am fully in support of this idea, however I think it will be difficult to get the people of Vuode to vote in favor of such a merger
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Last I heard, the measure had 100% support among active citizens in both provinces. That's a pretty good start! If all of those people still support it, I bet we can make it happen. We might fail, but it's worth a try.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

I'm in favour of mergers, but not of individual provinces trying to figure out mergers among themselves, and the double Senator thing is a good example of why. If anything there should be a national Merger Convention, and once that's done and there are only 4 provinces left the same Convention can then decide to give provinces two Senators instead of one.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Well, the last two times national forces tried to spur along mergers, it didn't work.  It was perceived as an attempt to effect a large-scale change for other purposes.  So I'd suggest trying a new approach -- grassroots from the actual provinces themselves -- might be the best way to go.