Latest New Trek-Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, May 02, 2022, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

After some time without much new Star Trek we are in the midst of a golden age of Trek thanks first to CBS's programming decisions on the streaming channel CBS All Access and now with Paramount Plus. Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Lower Decks, the Star Trek Shorts, and Star Trek: Prodigy.

Of these new entries I am partial to Picard and Lower Decks. I am curious what fellow Trekkies or Trekkers think of this assortment of New Trek.

And also if anyone else is excited for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Extended trailer below:

https://youtu.be/ZFVtLHLN8aU

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D.

Ohhh I have lots of opinions.   :D

I LOVE Lower Decks. Aside from having a name derived from one of the best TNG episodes, it is a master class on how to both continue a legacy franchise and still be fresh and new. Mike McMahan should be in change of all Trek.

Picard... This first season was ok. Some great concepts. I hated so much about the ending. Season two has been my greatest disappointment as a Star Trek fan, as measured between expectation and realization. The lack of character motivation, the awful pacing, and the aimless scripts are not good.

On the other crop of new Trek...

Discovery has gotten better with each season...
Prodigy is actually very good.
My expectations for Strange New Worlds is sky high, but with the team that is running live action Trek nowadays, I should be careful with my heart.

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., MC
Deputy Minister of Culture Select, Member of the 57th Cosa
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Whisky Society

Ián S.G. Txaglh

i saw recently the first three episodes of "strange new worlds" and i am ok with that. modern outfit, some refreshing comedy acting, otherwise classic modern ST, i am looking forward to seeing more.

"discovery" is one of the best STs ever. as for "picard", i saw only the first series, which was fine, not as good as "discovery".

wow, three parallel STs at our times, aren't we lucky?

and i have also killed my childhood dreams watching some episodes of the original series. i started with ST as a kid, although living in the eastern bloc, we were so close to austria (60 km), that we were able to watch austrian TV (ORF), where they started ST in 1976, when i was just six years old. i hopelessly fell in love with the series (and later with another similar old fashion one - space 1999 / mondbasis alpha 1 in german). i still have homemade black&white photos of the old TV screen with enterprise, spock and kirk (no merch at that time ;). well, watching the same stuff when you are 50+ does not really bring the same joys to put it mildly :) the music still gives me chills, all the sounds of comms and suchs are so familiar, but the screenplays, acting, stories, oh my, too much of a prediluvial SF.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

I am enjoying Strange New Worlds. Especially the first episode. Pike's monologue to the Kylee rulers where he showed Earth's WWIII destruction was some of the best Trek I've seen. It really moved me.
There does appear to be more humor and more exploration of the main cast's backstories which deepens my interest and connection with the show overall.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Ián S.G. Txaglh

i am quite satisfied with the "strange new worlds" series after the first season, quite satisfied.

what i am not happy with, is the second season of "picard", which is awful. absence of logic, lots of auctorial violence so that the logic could be left behind and the characters are doing all the fancy things what the author what them to do, not what they would do. what is surprising, is the amount of disgust and disillusionment of our time projected into the story located to 2024 by the screenplay writers. i cannot say i do not agree with them on many topics, but still, it is surprising to see it on screen in SF movie, particularly on star trek.

the latest season of discovery is still ahead of me.

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on May 25, 2022, 09:49:51 AM
I am enjoying Strange New Worlds. Especially the first episode. Pike's monologue to the Kylee rulers where he showed Earth's WWIII destruction was some of the best Trek I've seen. It really moved me.
There does appear to be more humor and more exploration of the main cast's backstories which deepens my interest and connection with the show overall.

I haven't seen the show but I was surprised to overhear a conversation the other day in which they were discussing the show as if it were fact LOL
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on July 18, 2022, 09:39:54 AM

I haven't seen the show but I was surprised to overhear a conversation the other day in which they were discussing the show as if it were fact LOL

Wait my mistake the show they were talking about was Stranger Things
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on July 18, 2022, 09:40:31 AM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on July 18, 2022, 09:39:54 AM

Wait my mistake the show they were talking about was Stranger Things

I have yet to sit down and watch Stranger Things but still harbor some excitement for the start of the binge. If you check out Strange New Worlds I would love to hear your thoughts on the show.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight