[Terpelaziun] Technology Minister - August 2022

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, August 02, 2022, 07:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Honorable Tuischac'h,

This terpelaziun is for the Technology Minister. Please update the Ziu on any plans and/or progress concerning the prioritization of upgrading and/or replacing the Talossa Database System.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Honorable Tuischac'h,

A response to this terpelaziun is now overdue under Lex H.2.4. This is my reminder that it is outstanding.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

The deadline having passed, with an additional margin of 2 days, then the question is hereby referred to the Seneschal, per H.2.4.

There is further the matter of the penalty provision of the law: "2.7. Failure to answer a question within the given timeframe shall constitute an offence, and a Minister, if found guilty of such a offence, will be subject to a punishment at the discretion of the Courts."

There is no precedent for the application of this penalty, and I invite comment from the questioner and the Seneschal. I will decline to immediately refer it to the courts, since I'm sure a good discussion will be helpful before making any such decision.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

I apologize... The question shall not automatically be referred, upon further review of the law. That only applies if the minister is unavailable, a term which is clearly defined and which does not seem to apply.

I do think it would be helpful to get an answer to the question, either from the minister or the Seneschal, but it does not appear there is any legal obligation at this point.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Mr Túischac'h, I was never made aware of this question, by the questioner, the Túischac'h, or the Seneschál, or the Secretary of State. My apologies. I suggest that in future all Terps actually "tag in" the Minister responsible.

But in any case I have to defer this question to the Secretary of State, who has been carrying out this work with cxhn. Martì-Pair Furxhéir. All I can do is sum up the issues:

- the current Database is no longer fit for long term use. It is far too difficult to make changes or updates, for example, to the texts of bills that have already been Clarked; and as we found out last term, it is not even possible to put out a Clark with only the VoC on it, in months when no bills are Clarked.

- the question then becomes, whether to a) upgrade; or (b) totally replace the existing Database. Both are outside the skill set of the Chancery or the Ministry of Technology, so we require on the co-operation of outside experts, like MPF or Bradley Higgs. I should note that cxhn. Higgs is currently working hard on the upgrade to Wittenberg software, which I was given to understand the leadership of the Opposition considered their top priotiy.

- MPF has - without wanting to breach his privacy - a very busy life. And nothing can happen to the existing database without his say-so and input. So - as I understand it - work is proceeding behind the scenes to fully hand over the Database to Chancery control. But that work is going very slowly, and at the pace set by MPF's extra-Talossan commitments.

If any of this is wrong, I invite the SoS to chime in and correct me. This is a quite rushed answer for what, I hope, will now be seen to be understandable reasons. Again, apologies for somehow missing this.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Can I also add - riffing off something from the recent TNC partisan press - that I agree that the Senator from Florencia is doing a splendid job as Leader of the Opposition; just the kind of job he should have been doing last term; and I really hope he continues to do this job in the next Cosa, and the one after that.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 11, 2022, 03:35:24 PM
Can I also add - that I agree that the Senator from Florencia is doing a splendid job as Leader of the Opposition.

I have eliminated the usual partisan riff from the Minister in my quoted excerpt above. And thank the Minister for her tardy reply and for the compliment.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Thank you for your answer to the question.

There is not and has never been a requirement to "tag" ministers when questioned. While that's a kindness on the part of the questioner, it is not a necessity and doesn't impact the legal requirement to answer Ziu inquiries in a timely fashion.

Per H.2.5, "Having logged into, or visited Witt, or its equivalent, during the seven day period, and having not seen, or ignored the PQ or Terp, shall not constitute being unavailable."

I'd ask MC Tzaracomprada and the Seneschal how they wish to proceed with regards to the Minister's violation of the law. It does seem to have been mere negligence, and not willful at all. I would recommend we just let it go, although given the antagonistic personal remarks the minister has added, I can understand if MC Tzaracomprada disagrees.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 11, 2022, 04:10:10 PM
Thank you for your answer to the question.

There is not and has never been a requirement to "tag" ministers when questioned. While that's a kindness on the part of the questioner, it is not a necessity and doesn't impact the legal requirement to answer Ziu inquiries in a timely fashion.

Per H.2.5, "Having logged into, or visited Witt, or its equivalent, during the seven day period, and having not seen, or ignored the PQ or Terp, shall not constitute being unavailable."

I'd ask MC Tzaracomprada and the Seneschal how they wish to proceed with regards to the Minister's violation of the law. It does seem to have been mere negligence, and not willful at all. I would recommend we just let it go, although given the antagonistic personal remarks the minister has added, I can understand if MC Tzaracomprada disagrees.

Since this is the first time, I am fine with letting it go, Túischac'h.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight