The Nonpartisan SOS Entrenchment Act

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, August 07, 2022, 08:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Whereas, the Secretary of State (SOS) position is one of the most prestigious in Talossa bestowed with great power and responsibility, and

Whereas, the SOS position is by norm, tradition and, based on the first whereas clause, necessity considered nonpartisan, and

Whereas, the current SOS acts as party leader for the Free Democrats, and

Whereas, this situation is in direct conflict with the norm that the SOS is nonpartisan and could create a potentially dangerous precedent for future SOSs who may not be as honorable and morally upright as the incumbent, and

Whereas, this measure to address this precedent is not an effort to impugn the character, stain the honor and good work of the current SOS, or officially accuse the SOS of a crime and therefore not a bill of attainder, and

Whereas, to demonstrate this, the proposed measure addressing this precedent will only take effect upon the end of the current SOS term.

Therefore, be it resolved, that upon the resignation, dismissal, or death of the incumbent Secretary of State, Dr. Txec dal Nordselva, the following amendment shall be made to section 5 of Title C, so as to read:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall hold no seat in the Ziu. The Secretary of State shall hold no position of leadership in a political party or other partisan organization.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I would suggest taking the triggering clause out of the actual law being added, and instead make it a separate clause that will not be put into the wall. I can help with the language when I get to a computer this afternoon if need be.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 07, 2022, 11:05:36 AM
I would suggest taking the triggering clause out of the actual law being added, and instead make it a separate clause that will not be put into the wall. I can help with the language when I get to a computer this afternoon if need be.

Absolutely, thanks for your help Baron

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on August 07, 2022, 08:35:00 AM

Whereas, the Secretary of State (SOS) position is one of the most prestigious in Talossa bestowed with great power and responsibility, and

Whereas, the SOS position is by norm, tradition and, based on the first whereas clause, necessity considered nonpartisan, and

Whereas, this situation is in direct conflict with the norm that the SOS is nonpartisan and could create a potentially dangerous precedent for future SOSs who may not be as honorable and morally upright as the incumbent, and

Whereas, this measure to address this precedent is not an effort to impugn the character, stain the honor and good work of the current SOS, or officially accuse the SOS of a crime and therefore not a bill of attainder, and

Whereas, to demonstrate this, the proposed measure addressing this precedent will only take effect upon the end of the current SOS term.

Therefore, be it resolved, that upon the resignation, dismissal, or death of the incumbent Secretary of State, Dr. Txec dal Nordselva, the following amendment shall be made to section 5 of Title C, so as to read:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall hold no seat in the Ziu. The Secretary of State shall hold no position of leadership in a political party or other partisan organization.

I think this should do it.  I believe I have accounted for all possibilities by which @Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM might depart his office.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 07, 2022, 12:26:34 PM

I think this should do it.  I believe I have accounted for all possibilities by which @Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM might depart his office.

Updated with gratitude for your help, Baron.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated! But seriously, this might be the first time that a bill was written that specially hinges upon a specific person leaving office. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on August 07, 2022, 01:14:30 PM

The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated! But seriously, this might be the first time that a bill was written that specially hinges upon a specific person leaving office. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Mr. Secretary, do you support this bill?
Edited to add, it would be great to have you as a co-sponsor.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

It's not the first, although it's been a while. And we have had various other bills with trigger clauses just recently. I think it's all above board, as best I can tell.

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on August 07, 2022, 01:16:15 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on August 07, 2022, 01:14:30 PM

Right now I'm neutral on this bill. I also feel it is unethical to co-sponsor a bill that directly impacts my office. Thank you for asking though.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on August 07, 2022, 01:23:04 PM

Right now I'm neutral on this bill. I also feel it is unethical to co-sponsor a bill that directly impacts my office. Thank you for asking though.

True, I was set on the symbolism of co-sponsorship but that ethical consideration is pertinent.
Thank you for responding. I am hopeful that this measure can garner some support from the FreeDems and PdR.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 07, 2022, 01:19:03 PM
It's not the first, although it's been a while. And we have had various other bills with trigger clauses just recently. I think it's all above board, as best I can tell.

Probably not. All this attention does feel odd to me however as I like to do my work with as little fuss as possible. Anyway, I won't further derail this thread.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on August 07, 2022, 01:25:32 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on August 07, 2022, 01:23:04 PM

True, I was set on the symbolism of co-sponsorship but that ethical consideration is pertinent.
Thank you for responding. I am hopeful that this measure can garner some support from the FreeDems and PdR.

I don't see any reason that this bill wouldn't pass. It seems reasonable to me. I'm neutral because I can see the issue from both sides and I'm keenly aware of my reasons for becoming SoS and later party President (reasons I won't discuss publicly but have nothing at all to do with the Chancery).
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

There is no way I will personally vote for this bill, because:

1) it's too prescriptive. not only does it disqualify Txec from continuing his role as FreeDems President, it disqualifies him from any leadership role in our party. Even a minor one, like - to pick one at random - Party Branch Chair for Maricopa.

2) it's too easy to cheat. Imagine - and I know it's a stretch - a party where the "real leader" doesn't take a role, but all the titular leaders take orders from him, he calls the shots. You know, to avoid accountability. There would be nothing to stop him being SoS in this bill.

I will say plainly - if either of the sponsors of this bill were SoS, I would judge them solely on whether they acted in a biased or incompetent way in their official roles, no matter what their job titles in the TNC were.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 07, 2022, 05:01:51 PM
There is no way I will personally vote for this bill, because:

1) it's too prescriptive. not only does it disqualify Txec from continuing his role as FreeDems President, it disqualifies him from any leadership role in our party. Even a minor one, like - to pick one at random - Party Branch Chair for Maricopa.

The bill only takes effect once he leaves office. It will not have any effect on Txec.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 07, 2022, 05:01:51 PM2) it's too easy to cheat. Imagine - and I know it's a stretch - a party where the "real leader" doesn't take a role, but all the titular leaders take orders from him, he calls the shots. You know, to avoid accountability. There would be nothing to stop him being SoS in this bill.
Fire extinguishers might not stop your house from burning down, but they can sure help as a precaution. It's true that the spill wouldn't prevent all possible partisan interference, but it would help.

If you have a better solution, that would be great!

Breneir Tzaracomprada

QuoteI don't see any reason that this bill wouldn't pass. It seems reasonable to me.

I want to say again to Dr. dal Nordselva that this is about the precedent not the person. On principle, I fervently believe it is worth us trying to legally reiterate the SOS position's nonpartisanship for future Secretaries of State who might not be so worthy of our trust. As the response in bold illustrates I also want to thank him for keeping an open mind on this and other proposals.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight