The Apologies to my Successor Act

Started by Eðo Grischun, March 06, 2020, 09:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eðo Grischun

WHEREAS the Ministry of the Interior, on behalf of the Bureau of Immigration, began publishing reports on immigration statistics and on the business of the Bureau of Immigration, and

WHEREAS this was not a statutory requirement, and

WHEREAS I would like for that work to continue in the future even once I no longer hold these offices, so

THEREFORE be it resolved by the Ziu assembled that El Lexhatx D.2.3, which currently reads:

The Interior Minister, heading the Ministry of the Interior, which shall comprise the bureaus listed below. Among their other duties, they supervise the immigration of new citizens into Talossa, in consultation with the Uppermost Cort, and shall also be the liaison between the Kingdom Government and the provincial governments.

shall be amended to read:

The Interior Minister, heading the Ministry of the Interior, which shall comprise the bureaus listed below. Among their other duties, they supervise the immigration of new citizens into Talossa, in consultation with the Uppermost Cort, and shall publish a detailed report of the Kingdom's immigration statistics once per month, and shall also be the liaison between the Kingdom Government and the provincial governments.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Ian Plätschisch

With due respect, it appears to me that this bill will make it more difficult to fill the already difficult to fill role of Interior Minister, or otherwise will become another statutory requirement that everyone forgets about.

Sir Lüc

I agree that this should definitely be ministerial policy rather than a statutory requirement.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Eðo Grischun

OK. Fair enough points.

What if I were to create a tool that done the hard work for future Ministers?

I could create a webform that the Minister could easily fill out with a few of the numbers, have a maths script work out the percentages and stuff in the background, then have it spit out a formatted report that just needs copy/pasted/posted/published.

If such a tool existed, it would make creating these reports quick and easy (in fact, I wish I had thought of this before now for my own benefit). 

Once that is in place, would that help alleviate the concerns mentioned?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Eðo Grischun

(Also, bear in mind that I've created a Ministry Handbook, which future Ministers will get given at handover, which gives directions/instructions on how the background processes of immigration works, so this reporting stuff can be added to that)
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Açafat del Val

I concur that in spite of the good intentions of this bill we should let it lie to tradition rather than statute. A webform would alleviate this worry, but itself creates more bureaucracy; it'd be another tool to transfer over from one cabinet to another, with log-in information and APIs and the sort. It adds unnecessary burden during a time when we are trying to encourage people to take on more roles.

Not to be a tomato-thrower, though, I would support the following language:

QuoteThe Interior Minister, heading the Ministry of the Interior, which shall comprise the bureaus listed below. Among their other duties, they shall supervise the immigration of new citizens into Talossa, in consultation with the Uppermost Cort; shall be the liaison between the Kingdom Government and the provincial governments; and may publish a detailed report of the Kingdom's immigration statistics once per month.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms