Language assistance please

Started by Audrada Roibeardet, August 31, 2022, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audrada Roibeardet

I'm working on a glossary of archery terms in Talossan. Some of the terms have been easy to find while others are a bit more problematic.

Archery is typically shot in "rounds" with each round consisting of multiple "ends". I don't know what term would best be used for a round and an end. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Audrada Roibeardet on August 31, 2022, 12:04:09 PM
I'm working on a glossary of archery terms in Talossan. Some of the terms have been easy to find while others are a bit more problematic.

Archery is typically shot in "rounds" with each round consisting of multiple "ends". I don't know what term would best be used for a round and an end. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to have a go at this, arguing from analogy with French, the Romance language I know the best. L'Överstéir doesn't seem to have an equivalent for English "round" as a noun, but the adjective "round" is translated as rond. This is the same adjective as French, in which ronde (the feminine form) means "round" as a noun in the English sporting sense. Therefore, I will suggest that we adopt a new Talossan word, rondă for "round" in this sense.

As for "end", a check of French archery rules suggests that the French word used for an archery "end" is volée, cognate with English "volley", which makes sense. There is an existing Talossan word for this: voladă.

Questions? Comments? Keen to hear from those fluent in other Romance languages as to whether they have better suggestions.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan