[TERP] Council of Governors

Started by Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, March 19, 2020, 02:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimat Túischac'h,

I was wondering whether either the Seneschal or Minister of the Interior would update this august body on the progress of their Council of Governors project.  Am I correct in my assessment that it has stalled out?  If the primary purpose is to explore Provincial mergers, is a structure requiring busy-work of an already moribund system really the best answer?

What steps is the govt. taking to try and accomplish these goals?

Respectfully,
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, Tanáischteu
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Eðo Grischun

I thank the honourable gentleman for his question,

I would, first, remind the Leader of the Opposition that he, himself, sits on the Council of Governors and if he wishes to see the Council discuss any particular issues then he is free to bring those issues before the Council.  Could the Leader of the Opposition remind me how he has engaged with the Council to date?  Has he took part in any discussions or business of the Council?

Second, I would say to the honourable gentleman that this government's mandate was simply to get the Council formed and seated.  We have no powers to actually make the Council do anything.  In the very least, this government has met all statutory duties relating to the Council and have, indeed, went beyond the call of duty to force things forward, thus we have entirely fulfilled our manifesto pledge as stated in the Program for Government.

I would also say that I do find it slightly regrettable that the Council has not shown an absolute flurry of activity.  However, I would say that, indirectly, the discussions held thus far by the Council have spurred further discussions within the provinces on the topic of provincial mergers.  The provinces of Vuode and Maritiimi-Maxhestic have re-opened dialogue on the same and there has been some poking around the edges made by some other provinces. 

In summary, I would say that by forming and seating the Council, which resulted in inspiring some inter-provincial discussions on mergers, this government has met what it set out to do.  Whether any provincial mergers actually happen or not as an end result is entirely a matter for the provinces and for the provincial executives who sit on the Council.

@Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimat Túischac'h,

To be frank, I've not engaged with the Council of Governors in my capacity of Benitian Maestro simply because I do not much see the purpose of the institution.  It strikes me as busy-work being imposed from above.  Or perhaps the Coalition offloading work for which it can later take credit.

If the purpose of the Council is to get the provinces discussing mergers, then I will congratulate the government on what activity has happened.  But in the long run, I am unsure that creating another moribund institution is what Talossa needs.

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Eðo Grischun

Mister Speaker,

The coalition government didn't create the institution of the Council of Governors as the Leader of the Opposition, in pectore, suggests.  It has been on the books since the 31st Cosa, well over 15 years ago.  We are merely the first government in a very long time to attempt to revive it for any particular purpose.

The Free Democrats want to see provincial mergers. The NPW want to see all provinces abolished. The PNP want to see a total change in the nature and function of the provinces.  Enough appetite seems to exist to explore all this.  The government (and the Ziu) are extremely limited in all actions in relation to the business of the provinces, so we used the only mechanism available to us as law provides to probe the issue.

The honourable gentleman can call the work of the council busy-work all he likes if he feels it excuses his lack of participation in the process, but I suggest to him that perhaps busy-work is better than no work at all.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimat Túischac'h,

I thank the Minister for his correction in re: the timeline of the Council of Governors.  I was wrong in that assessment.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito