[TERP] Get More Fun, Have More Done

Started by Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, March 19, 2020, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimat Túischac'h,

I direct this question to the Seneschal.  With the Coalition's impressive beginning record of achievement (Orglaw Reform, Wittenberg Migration), I would like to begin by raising a glass in toast.

However, one of the underlying issues Talossa faces (that of immigration and activity amongst citizens) still seems to be falling behind.  Much of what I see in the Hopper continues to change the paint on the wagon.  What is the government doing (or hope to do) to stimulate greater activity?  That was, after all, your rallying cry.

Respectfully,
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, Tanáischteu

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, Tanáischteu

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I would first point out to the leader of the Opposition that immigration figures are currently as good as they have been for a long time, not so much in quantity of new citizens but in quality. We've got active newbies who are sticking around and participating, not people who sign up and are never heard from again. So the first part of his query is inoperative.

As for the second part, cultural activity. The policy of this Government and of the Free Democrats has always been that government "make-culture" schemes are ineffective, and the best we can do is to encourage private activity. I would first of all direct the Leader of the Opposition to the slow but real progress which has been made by SIGN, the new Talossan language agency. We have fulfilled our manifesto commitment of agreeing to a single spelling of the Talossan language for the first time in 13 years, since the Kingdom "forked" the language without regard to the Republic. That's perhaps not a huge thing, but it's a thing which has needed doing for ages, and it is done.

The other major commitment we made in the Coalition government's programme was as follows: "We will promote competitions, games and other cultural events for citizens, and fund physical prizes for the winners." This has been the responsibility taken on by the new Cultural Development Secretary, @Iason Taiwos MC. As the Secretary happens to be a member of the Leader of the Opposition's own caucus, perhaps the NPW leader is in a better position to find out the state of play as I am. All I know is that the government has given the Secretary a budget, and told him to "go for it".

I would note one more issue, while I am up here. The Government got a PD signed by the King to send flowers to the family and bereaved of Fritz von Buchholtz. I am sorry to announce that this has stalled for the reason that we do not have contact details for Fritz's family, or at least not operative ones. The King used the contact details he thought he had, and got no answer. So I'm not sure where to go from here on that.

I would end by asking if the Leader of the Opposition has any advice to give to the Government on what else we could and should be doing.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan