News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

The NPW Rides Again

Started by Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, October 23, 2022, 06:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimats Talossans,

The NPW, Talossa's only Peculiarist Party, has been quiet for far too long.  As you know, we did not stand for the previous Cosa, and the only current Peculiarist in office is your Mencei, yours truly.  That simply will not do.

For those playing at home, Peculiarism is one of Talossa's oldest distinct ideologies.  The definition provided by Talossawiki, is that "Peculiarismeu is the belief that Talossa is not a country like other countries, but is instead its own special sort of entity. It is a genuine and unique Talossan ideology. According to this way of thinking, as Talossa is unique, it does not have to imitate other nations and their habits."

That's pretty fair.  My own attitudes, as a singular example, are that Talossa COULD explore the political possibilities presented by Heinlein's Lunar Govt. in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," or elements of governance from "A Canticle for Leibowitz."  Other historical examples include some of the thought of Danihel R. Lauriéir and Dieter Vercáriâ.

The current NPW does have a strong Republican attitude, at least partially driven by the personal attitudes of the current active membership.  It is something that could change (though I hope it doesn't!).  As such, Peculiarists of ALL Repub/Monarch stripes could find a home here.  If you're interested in joining, or would like to know more, please reach out!
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

xpb

It is agreed that TANSTAAFL is a good basis for a party (as perhaps not originally stated but certainly popularized by TMIAHM)

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Benito adopted the "judge system" from MIAHM, as an example.  Essentially binding 3rd party arbitration.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I really liked that book (obviously, since it's quoted below), but I was always uncomfortable with the finer points of their system.  I mean, lunar democracy works out because a supercomputer rigs the election so his buddies win.  And the justice system depends on a huge number of space lynchings.  It's a lot like Dune for me: exploring some really interesting ideas and a great story, but horrific as a model for life or governance.

The arbitration system is interesting, and I didn't even know it had been implemented in Talossa.  That's fun!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Naturally I'm less interested in the Lunar "Democracy" that comes into being through the machinations of Mannie and Mycroft.  That's just warmed-over Enlightenment Liberalism facilitated by an electronic puppetmaster.

The adoption of the MIAHM Judge system felt natural.  Given the little codified provincial law in Benito, it seemed that lay arbitration might be a viable solution.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Ián S.G. Txaglh

as i also perceive my talossanity through the prism of the uniqueness of talossa-being, but i am less keen to follow the political ideas esteemed s:reu bornatfiglheu presented here.

well, i suffered equally reading about the political views of china miéville as about those of robert henlein. MIAHM was interesting, although a bit old-fashioned, story, but henlein generally did not take my heart or brain. i have to admit, i like more e.g. the verhoeven's parody on starship troopers than the original (which i found, unfortunately, to be boooring along with many other henlein's works).

may i know more about what "elements of governance from a canticle for leibowitz" you have on mind, eiric?

just to say, a canticle for leibowitz was for me a kind of reader's revelation, the book so interesting that i was positively shocked to find that they posthumously published in 1997 the st. leibowitz and wild horse woman. and since then never understood why the second one is so underrated, cos it is at least as good as the first book. and because of lots of neology and future english, i made a private translation of it. later on, an official one was published here and it was a complete disaster. one may induce a new rule from this case: the more translators, the worse the outcome - three translators were assigned + one special language editor and the resulting horror is still kept in the memory of my generation of SF readers.   

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Ián S.G. Txaglh on October 31, 2022, 03:28:02 AMwell, i suffered equally reading about the political views of china miéville

China Miéville was in the same political tendency as I was, once, but I've moved on and he hasn't. Also I hear he treats the women in his life horrendeously.

Still, The City and the City was great.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ián S.G. Txaglh

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 31, 2022, 02:34:15 PMStill, The City and the City was great.

definitely, except for kraken, embassytown and railsea, i found all china's stories fascinating, even king rat, which point made me laugh really hard, but the rest of the story is still quite good.

i honestly admit to suffering from some kind of post-communist syndrome for having difficulties dealing with opinions of western leftists (like china m. was/is), but the same deal of troubles i have with opinions of libertarians and of what americans do call "liberals" (quite differs from what europeans do use this term for).

and that's, eiric, why i am more interested in how MIAHM correlates with canticle for leibowitz ;)

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

In terms of direct correlation?  I'm not sure that they do.  Or at the very least the correlation is, currently, "These are two books I read where a differing style of governance is at least discussed, and so I mentioned them."

One specific dose of Peculiarism that I think could be particularly healthy at the moment might be just a simple change in the way we consider the operations of the nation.  I think we approach it too often as a "what do real nations do?" question as opposed to a "what do entities that more strongly resemble Talossa do?" question.  In some ways, the dynamics of Talossa are less that of a nation and more one of a fraternal or civic organization.  All too often, these organizations rely on a very few key individuals to keep the lights on and the wheels turning.  And if they are not careful to husband this resource in a sustainable manner, it burns out.  The IOOF Lodge where I live essentially just imploded due to just this thing.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Ián S.G. Txaglh

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on November 20, 2022, 03:30:33 PMI think we approach it too often as a "what do real nations do?" question as opposed to a "what do entities that more strongly resemble Talossa do?" question. In some ways, the dynamics of Talossa are less that of a nation and more one of a fraternal or civic organization. All too often, these organizations rely on a very few key individuals to keep the lights on and the wheels turning. And if they are not careful to husband this resource in a sustainable manner, it burns out.

in this sense, i very much agree with you. talossa started as a CPG (country playing) game and later on it was played very seriously, but talossa in fact is not a country. (here i admit still continuing confusion about the use of the word "nation" in english, which very much differs from how do we use it in my central european culture. so i use the word "country" instead) i wholeheartedly agree that we should make talossa in this sense more realistic/practical/enjoyable to be able to let it live. otherwise, imho the country-fuel is burnt already and it gives no push for talossa to maintain some inertia to move through the time. our everyday lives cause friction and slow talossa down, we cannot give it all the attention it was possible 20 yrs ago, new citizens are often passive and again, the enthusiasm of playing country burns really quickly out.

i may share the experience of how we solved that problem in my other similar project, ark, but i will not to unless explicitly asked :) such experience need not be transferable. just a hint - culture ;)

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

So... logistical question.  Can ANYONE else see the NPW party board, or am I just talking to myself on there?
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on December 05, 2022, 02:46:32 PMSo... logistical question.  Can ANYONE else see the NPW party board, or am I just talking to myself on there?

Only members of the NPW can see that particular board (which means only you at the moment). However, I can create a public NPW board (a few other parties have one) where you can do your recruiting, etc. You will find it under Registered Political Parties. I'll also move the thread you created in the private board to the public board.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

You can even set memberships on this board?
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito