The Seneschál Election Amendment - revised

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, March 24, 2020, 04:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

On OldWitt, the Senator from Florencia said:

QuoteI reiterate my earlier concerns. As much as this bill has good intentions, and as much as I support the principle which it tries to achieve, if it became law today then our OrgLaw and process would be a mess. This needs a rewrite, and it needs to come with simultaneous and complimentary changes to other sections of the OrgLaw and El Lexhatx.

Time to put up or shut up, Açafat: please let me know what amendments you require to the below.

===

WHEREAS the current Government agreed to submit various Organic Law reforms to the current Ziu, including a provision for the Seneschál to be nominated by the Cosa prior to appointment by the King;

AND WHEREAS the following seems the most likely procedure to enable this to happen;

BE IT ENACTED by the King, Cosa and Senäts of Talossa in Ziu assembled as follows

1. Organic Law VI.2, which currently reads:

QuoteThe King appoints the Seneschal. If a single party occupies a majority of the seats in the Cosa, the King shall choose as PM whichever individual shall be designated by that party. If no single party has a majority, the King shall appoint a Seneschal after consulting party leaders with the objective of finding a PM who can be sustained in subsequent Votes of Confidence by a majority of seats in the Cosa. The King must appoint a new Seneschal or announce the continuation of the incumbent in office within one month of the end of elections, or, if after one month no candidate can be appointed with the support of a Cosa majority, dissolve the Cosa after the first Clark and call for new elections.
shall be amended to read as follows:

QuoteThe King shall, on the nomination of the Cosa, appoint the Seneschál, before the beginning of the next Clark subsequent to their nomination.

The Cosa must nominate a Seneschál by the end of the first Clark of each Cosa, and by the end of the next Clark (if any) of each Cosa after the office of Seneschál shall become vacant as in VI.7 below. If this fails to happen, the King shall dissolve the Cosa and call for new elections.
2. The following new section shall be added to El Lexhatx, at the beginning of Title D, with following sections to be renumbered accordingly::

QuoteThe Cosa shall nominate the Seneschál under Organic Law VI.2 as follows.

1. At any time between the Election Deadline and the following Dissolution of the Cosa, any Member of the Cosa shall be empowered to publish and open for signatures a petition nominating an eligible person for the office of Seneschal.

2. Once a petition is published, any eligible Member of the Cosa shall be empowered to second the nomination by countersigning the petition in public.

3. Members may not second multiple nominations concurrently; if a Member wishes to support a different petition, he/she shall first publicly retract the earlier countersignature.

4. Following any number of petitions supporting the same candidate, being signed or counter-signed by members currently representing an absolute majority of seats in the Cosa, the candidate named in the petition(s) shall be presented to the King as the Cosa's nomination for Seneschál.

5. Petitions may not be carried over from one vacancy in the office of Seneschal to another. Once a Seneschal is nominated, all petitions shall be made moot.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

I know that this was a Coalition promise in their overall agenda.  But, might the government clarify the difference this legislation might produce compared to the status quo?
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Simply put, the Cosa will decide who the Seneschál is, not the King.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Açafat del Val

Okay. I am going to put up right now. I will post below this in another reply with my suggestions.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Açafat del Val

Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms