[FORA TALOSSA] 2nd El Pretz Per Tomas Prize Honorable Mentions

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, November 09, 2022, 04:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

It is my pleasure to announce the honorees for the 2nd El Pretz Per Tomas Poetry Prize. But first please allow me to thank @owenedwards the originator of this prize, writer of citations, and co-judge for his support and work. I also want to express gratitude for Eoin Ursum agreeing to serve as a prize sponsor in his capacity as the Kingdom's poet laureate.

There were two honorable mentions among the prize entrants.

Tric'hard Lenxheir for his untitled poem and @Bråneu Excelsio for his poem "¿Quién no ama a los niños?" or "Who wouldn't love our children?"

OFFICIAL CITATION: TRIC'HARD LENXHEIR (UNTITLED POEM)

QuoteOur first honorable mention goes to Tric'hard Lenxheir's Untitled Poem. Lenxheir's poem includes a really enjoyable metal-ballad feel to the couplets and some of the imagery - though usually simple - is evocative. There is also an identifiable through-line to the story, the psychology of the piece, despite the intentionally stream-of-consciousness style. Within this stream-of-consciousness style, on the starting words for lines within each stanza there lies particularly strong imagery.

I dream
The world turns
Shadows melt
Dream burns

Passion sated
Fear from hate
Passion lost
Fickle fate

Tangled limbs
Broken trees
Sun fades
Darkness sees

Quiet, fearful
Music flares
Dreams return
No one cares

Jumbled thoughts
Lost, confused
Body weak
Mind abused

Rain, lightning
Roar of thunder
Blowing wind
Life a blunder

Day is gone
Dream no longer
Soon to sleep
Calm the hunger

OFFICIAL CITATION: BRANEU EXCELSIO (¿Quién no ama a los niños?/WHO WOULDN'T LOVE OUR CHILDREN?)

QuoteBraneu Excelsio's poem, Who Wouldn't Love Our Children?, is a first in the history of this poetry prize as it is the first entry to be submitted in not one or two but three languages. There is an element of playful uncertainty in the work as one can't decide if the author is being wryly cynical, rather profound or perhaps, in truly appreciable skill, a bit of both. The structure of the stanza, and the short lines building via similar "images", work really well to create the punchline.

Spanish:

¿Quién no ama a los niños?

¿Quién no ama a los niños?
Que corren
y gritan
y patalean
y lloran
como los grandes.

English:

Who wouldn't love our children?

Who wouldn't love our children?
That run
and scream
and flounder
and cry
like the grownups.

Talossan:

¿Qi non amadra ár fïeux?

Qi clintent
es crident
es squitrent
es plörent
com'els creschüts

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Why thank you! I really didn't think it was very good, were there only three entries LOL
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on November 09, 2022, 04:40:00 PMWhy thank you! I really didn't think it was very good, were there only three entries LOL

I always like your modesty, Tric'hard. It was a pleasure to read your work. :)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Bråneu Excelsio

It's really heartwarming to see this.
Thank you very much, @Breneir Tzaracomprada, @owenedwards, Eoin Ursum.