Request for Augmented Arms

Started by Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB, December 01, 2022, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Azul,

I approach the Coletx asking for assistance in augmenting my existing Coat of Arms with the augments of a belt, helm, and a motto. I also find that each order of Knighthood has a specific color of its belt, but as I have no example of any other augmented arms in the Order of the Flag, we will have to determine what color the belt should be.

To assist the Coletx, below is a link to a copy of my current CoA. I also desire my motto to be "Fraichetz dels punts, es non dels mürs."

Current CoA: http://wiki.talossa.com/File:Coa_txec.png

Thank you,

Sir Txec
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

So I made some inferences that as the Order of the Flag refers to the colors of green and red, the belt of a Knight within that order should probably be either green or red (just like the belt of a Knight of The Purple Tongue should probably have a purple belt or something like it), here is a preliminary design of my augmented arms. What does the Coletx think?

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

To my knowledge, we've never actually used the coloured belt system.  The Order of the Nation has been the sole awarded order for a very long time, and really the modern Talossan heraldry system postdates the other orders' use in any significant way.

A red belt seems to make sense to me for the Flag, as does a purple one for the Purple Tongue, and a plain brown one for the Nation.  I'd suggest that deciding this specifically is beyond the purview of a single grant, but I also suspect there will be no discord if such an official interpretation is suggested.  So let's proceed with the assumption that this will be fine.

I don't see how anyone could really object to your very traditional choice of helm, and your motto is your own business as long as its official grant is in keeping with the dignity of the throne.  Is it, "Build bridges, not walls," in Talossan?

Your mantling/torse appears to be sable, argent, and gules, with some of that also ermined?  I think the torse is supposed to have the same colours as the mantling, and I think the rule of tinctures still applies, so you're supposed to have mantling of a colour and a metal.

-NRH
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Yes, the motto is "build bridges, not walls" in Talossan. I'm glad you concur with my interpretation of the belt system, especially now since we have three active Knightly orders.

-SVA/NRH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Hm, thinking about it, I recall that the torse and mantling don't even figure into the blazon at all.  So while some folks might object to a non-traditional emblazonment, you're the one who decides whether or not you care about proper display.  The torse and mantling are not mentioned in the blazon and are traditionally just supposed to be the main metal and colour of the escutcheon.  So never mind about all that -- I think just take it under advisement for when you display an emblazonment?

So yeah, only the motto will actually be mentioned in a modified grant.  Your knighthood entitles you automatically to the helm, torse, belt, and mantling without modification.  In fact, you don't actually need to request an official enhancement of your arms at all, unless you want your motto officially recognized (which would be completely fine!)

-NRH
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

I did believe that I didn't need to seek a new grant, but I also felt like we as a Coletx should discuss the colors of belts as each should be visually different to distinguish the different orders of Knighthood as there are now three active orders.

Thanks for the input. I'm quite satisfied with the outcome of my enhancement.

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal