Uprooted

Started by King John, December 14, 2022, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King John

The best SF&F thing I've read recently is UPROOTED by Naomi Novik, set in a kind of mythologized sixteenth-century Poland, with magic.  I was pretty sure I was going to like it, since it won a bunch of major awards -- the Nebula for Best Novel, the Locus Award for Fantasy, the Holdstock Fantasy Award, and the Mythopaeic Fantasy Award.  But I wasn't really prepared for how good it is.  What can I tell you about it?  Not much, without spoiling plot points.

And if you like audiobooks, the production narrated by Julia Emelin is superb.

John Bob says check it out.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

What kind of magic is it? Like is it a setting where magic is everywhere, or very rare?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

NRB

whoa that king dude is here? now? that's crazy, yo!

King John

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on December 17, 2022, 06:56:24 PMWhat kind of magic is it? Like is it a setting where magic is everywhere, or very rare?
There are a few sorcerors around, but most people don't have much to do with magic.  Except that there's a threatening forest to the east, full of Bad Things that occasionally break out, at which times the peaceful villages require the services of a sorceror.  (Who may or may not be able to do anything about it.)