News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

The King's Inactivity is Not a New Problem

Started by Ian Plätschisch, January 05, 2023, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

This was over seven years ago. Sadly, we still find ourselves in the same situation re: the King's overall inactivity

Ian Plätschisch

Thanks to Dama Miestra for allowing me to post these.

I will remind everyone that I bear absolutely no ill will towards the King. I hope he enjoys a long and distinguished retirement. It's just time to move on.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

This was at the time of the 48th Cosa Cabinet. We were exasperated by the King suddenly galvanising into action to cause the Proclamation Crisis, but do nothing else that was requested of him. Nothing has changed - although I believe some of the people who were in that Cabinet have now done a complete "turncoat" and seem happy for another 7 years of the King doing nothing.

The funny thing is that - should our opponent parties win this election - I would actually expect an uptick in Royal activity, in that he'll feel much happier once "his guys" are in power. But that in itself is pretty terrible. Non-partisan Head of State, fuhgeddaboutit.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I'm not sure it's a surprise to anyone that Dama Miestra has been fixated on this for years.  I think it's just sad that this monomania has now extended to the whole exhausted FDT, which after six years of political power has nothing more to offer than a singular obsession, powered by imagined slights from the future.

But I marvel at the fact that we're right back to this. 

After a disaster of a term that even you folks admitted was a threat to our country's very survival, the FDT tried to impose a legislative blockade, clumsily attempting to extort an outcome through threats.  The effort was a disaster, making it impossible to actually work on the issue.  They eventually just collapsed the whole thing.

Ironically, backing away from the Same Old Fight actually allowed real legislation on the issue to begin to emerge, a basis on which we can hopefully build in the future.  The nation settled down into a working relationship without acrimony and with a firm but cordial Opposition that kept this Government accountable.  Did anyone really miss the negative politics and ludicrous blockade?  Nope!

Talossa has been a much better place these past few months.  People are actually doing stuff and becoming involved, and we're making a slight turnaround from the precipitous FDT plunge we'd all been enduring.  And you want not only to get back at the Same Old Fight, but it's become the only idea that the FDT has to offer: "Hey Talossa, we're upset that His Majesty is only as active as our own leader."

No matter who wins the election, shouldn't we prefer having fun and enjoying being Talossan?  Is this so important that you're going to get right back into grinding the country down until the ragged bones suit your preferences?  ¿N'estás-c'e?

The TNC wants to have fun doing Talossan stuff, and make it possible for more people to do fun Talossan stuff.  Learn more here:
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on January 05, 2023, 08:47:37 PM

I just reread this... So even as far back as seven years ago (that's a long time to be running Talossa, by the way!), criticism of the king has been literally to "help distract from AD's criticism of government performance"?!??!  Like that was actually the plan -- hey, come criticize the monarchy, we need to distract the people?!

I am definitely saving that screenshot!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

If a Seneschal doesn't do his job right - people are going to be putting down those who were associated with him, a year later. If a King doesn't do his job right for seven long years, to even raise the issue is "grinding the country down until the ragged bones suit your preferences"

The Free Democrats do not agree that this is a taboo subject on which debate cannot be entertained.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Ián S.G. Txaglh

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on January 05, 2023, 11:07:39 PM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on January 05, 2023, 08:47:37 PM

I just reread this... So even as far back as seven years ago (that's a long time to be running Talossa, by the way!), criticism of the king has been literally to "help distract from AD's criticism of government performance"?!??!  Like that was actually the plan -- hey, come criticize the monarchy, we need to distract the people?!

I am definitely saving that screenshot!

what if i offer a different reading? king's neglect of his rightful duties allows certain party and person to exert criticism of supposedly bad government performance, which, in fact, was directly caused or at least coerced by that royal neglect.

i am tired of the TNC bullshitting. i very much have difficulties understanding the right conservative american mentality, which to me is a hurricane of chaotic kicking around without a shred of real plans for what to do in society. bunch of mental boomers dressed in noble chasuble, waving traditionality sceptres and hurling threats and empty promises. when they are reminded about these empty promises, they start to whine that they are attacked and forced to fulfil them :o oh, meine lieben götter! die ... die bedrängen uns! die verleumden uns! :) they would rather drag the whole society into an abyss than admit that something wrong is wandering around.

i really miss the popcorn smiley here; it would be very handy in talossan debates.

You can imagine all kinds of stuff, I guess?  But the post says very clearly that she just started a thread attacking the king, and that this attack is to distract from criticism of the Government.  She's asking for others to pile on, to make it a bigger distraction.

This screenshot comes straight from the Seneschal, so we know it's real.  He started a thread specifically to post this.  Miestra isn't challenging their authenticity -- she's admitting that it's real, too.

Ian Plätschisch

QuoteYou can imagine all kinds of stuff, I guess?  But the post says very clearly that she just started a thread attacking the king, and that this attack is to distract from criticism of the Government.  She's asking for others to pile on, to make it a bigger distraction.

The Cabinet's shortcomings during the 48th Cosa are really irrelevant to the discussion. In case you forgot, that particular Cabinet collapsed on the sixth Clark because the FreeDems and MRPT couldn't get along, so no one is trying to claim it was super great.

What is extremely relevant is that the King's inactivity has continuously been a major issue for at least the past seven years. At some point enough has to be enough.

QuoteNo matter who wins the election, shouldn't we prefer having fun and enjoying being Talossan?  Is this so important that you're going to get right back into grinding the country down until the ragged bones suit your preferences?  ¿N'estás-c'e?
With respect, this makes no sense. Are having fun and calling out the King's inactivity mutually exclusive? As good Monarchists such as myself know, a more active King would in fact make everyone have more fun. It boggles the mind how you can call yourself a Monarchist but be so blasé about the fact that the most important person in the Kingdom never does anything. It's almost as if you don't think the office of King is that important.

QuoteAnd you want not only to get back at the Same Old Fight, but it's become the only idea that the FDT has to offer: "Hey Talossa, we're upset that His Majesty is only as active as our own leader."
D:na Somelieir has posted on this version of Wittenberg 118 times, which is almost twice as much as His Majesty has (65). Also, with respect to D:na Somelieir, the King of Talossa is a teensy bit more important than the newly-elected leader of a political party.

QuoteAfter a disaster of a term that even you folks admitted was a threat to our country's very survival, the FDT tried to impose a legislative blockade, clumsily attempting to extort an outcome through threats.  The effort was a disaster, making it impossible to actually work on the issue.  They eventually just collapsed the whole thing.
That is a very wishful interpretation of events. If you recall, the TNC itself promised proposals on Monarchy reform, but then were happy not to actually do anything about it. We were just holding the TNC to their own promises (albeit clumsily, as you say).

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on January 06, 2023, 08:33:36 PMThe Cabinet's shortcomings during the 48th Cosa are really irrelevant to the discussion.

If AD wants to know more about the 48th Cosa Govt, he could very well ask Senator Tzaracompradă, his party colleague, who was a minister in it...

QuoteIt's almost as if you don't think the office of King is that important.

I mean, what's a good King? Someone who's active in the cultural life of his nation, always available to "advise, consult and warn" the elective Government, someone who greets new citizens? If I were a monarchist, that's the kind of King I'd want (and the kind of elected Head of State I'd want anyway).

On the other hand: a virtually inactive King, only budging when prodded or to defend his own powers, who was nevertheless sympathetic to my party and hostile to my opponents, and might well be expect to name me his successor when he finally got too bored to continue... I can see why I would support that, were I a monarchist, and also very self-interested.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

It is good that developments are progressing for the debate.

@Ian Plätschisch and @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu would there be any objection to hosting a recording of the debate on Fora Talossa? Like we did with the Live Cosa session?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir

With respect with my own activity, although i am not as active as i would have liked, since becoming the FreeDem leader, i have been MORE active not less, and even before i was becoming more active, (alot of my absenses is due to exhaustion and/or mental health stuff, but i am doing my best to be as active as i can be, and am upfront about this) but that is neither here or there.

The main reason i believe the King's inactivity has come to crunch point, is the simple fact that a CONSTIUTIONAL MONARCHY as we are in talossa, cannot function effectivley WITHOUT an active monarch, and as a Monarch, in a consitutional monarchy, the King is effectivley part of the Government, and functions as such in law, within Organic Law, and if the king is not around and neglecting those duties, as King John has done for 7 YEARS, the government cannot be said to have been fully functional, and over time as the inactivity has worsened, the FreeDem's ability to govern has worsened, the government has not been in a functional state with an effectively vacant throne, also, we have managed  to do alot despite the absesence ofthe king, but we can only do so much in the face of the Kings absence. The TNC glossing over these arguments, and the assertion we are doing this as a distraction of Government records, obviously misunderstand what a Constiutional Monarchy is.

Also, if the King did poke his head in, it was with a full show of political bias against the government, and often vetoed the ELECTED branch of government. Without any consultation before doing so. Then goes back into hibernation. And im sick of the defence of a King who is absent and is so obviously partisan, a blind person could see it. All of this and more is why THE KING MUST GO!
Party Secretary of the Free Democrats of Talossa
https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?board=34.0
Talossans in Christ Church :-
http://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=294.0
Başbakan of Ataturk

I had a whole long reply typed up, but Witt went down (resource limit reached) and ate it.  :(

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on January 06, 2023, 08:33:36 PMThe Cabinet's shortcomings during the 48th Cosa are really irrelevant to the discussion.

Oh, for sure!  I was definitely not expecting you to post that, believe me!  I did not at all anticipate that you would be posting a message where Miestra admitted that she was attacking the king as a distraction from Government problems, and asked for people to help with the distraction.  When I reread that message, you could have knocked me down with a feather.

As to the rest, yes, I wish the king were more active, and I'm glad he's been trending that way, and I hope it continues.  But deposing him with no plan and no conceivable successor is crazy, even if it were a good idea to begin with.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on January 06, 2023, 08:56:51 PMIf AD wants to know more about the 48th Cosa Govt, he could very well ask Senator Tzaracompradă, his party colleague, who was a minister in it...

I know, right?  And Dien was once second on the FDT party list right after yourself, and Mximo was once a staunch FDT (ZRT?) ally, too!  There's a wide range of Talossans who think that enough is enough!

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on January 06, 2023, 09:25:43 PMIt is good that developments are progressing for the debate.

@Ian Plätschisch and @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu would there be any objection to hosting a recording of the debate on Fora Talossa? Like we did with the Live Cosa session?

Yes, I was pretty happy that the Seneschal suggested that His Majesty be a debate moderator, and happy also that the king was very willing to help.  And I was going to ask myself if you would put it on Fora Talossa, so no objection from me!

Ian Plätschisch

QuoteAs to the rest, yes, I wish the king were more active, and I'm glad he's been trending that way

The King has not been "trending that way." The pattern is always that he returns from a long absence, pledges to be more active, then stops again after a few weeks.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I note that the TNC are not even daring to argue that the King's level of activity is, currently, enough. We can't allow them to deflect attention that this has been a problem for most of a decade.

If anything, I kind of regret that - out of personal affection for John - I didn't insist on putting the problem this plainly in the past. Instead, I hoped programmes for reform would encourage him to "shape up or ship out", if they made a creditable threat of dismissal if he did not do so. But the TNC have put paid to any schemes in that regard, for the moment.