Suggested Talossan name for Spencer K.

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, December 04, 2019, 05:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

"Spencer" historically means "steward" or "administrator", so Açafat.

"The name K*****t is of Anglo-Saxon origin and came from when the family lived in a valley or at the foot of a hill": so, I recommend Açafat del Val or Açafat Ped D'Oveir.

Comments?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sevastáin Pinátsch

Sevastáin Pinátsch, Senator for Atatürk
#KARED

Danihel Txechescu

Quote from: Miestrâ Schiva, UrN on December 04, 2019, 05:00:13 PM
"Spencer" historically means "steward" or "administrator", so Açafat.

I don't know if there's a synonym for that, but at least in Spanish "azafata" refers to the cabin crew in ships, the ones catering for passengers.

Açafat del Val

If my only choices were the two, I'm partial to "Açafat del Val". How would it be pronounced?
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Spencer on December 04, 2019, 10:28:16 PM
If my only choices were the two, I'm partial to "Açafat del Val". How would it be pronounced?

Just the way it's spelled, lol

(seriously: AH-suh-fut deo VAO, to rhyme with Father-nut Day-o Cow)

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Açafat del Val

Well, this is why I asked  :o  Why "deo Vao", instead "del Val"? Does the letter L represent a different phoneme in Talossan?
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Spencer on December 05, 2019, 05:23:46 AM
Well, this is why I asked  :o  Why "deo Vao", instead "del Val"? Does the letter L represent a different phoneme in Talossan?

"L: At the end of a word after any vowel except o, ø, u or ü, pronounced like "w" in "wet"."

- Talossan Pronunciation and Spelling with IPA (added by Gödafrïeu Válcadác'h), prepared by Gödafrïeu Válcadác'h in November 2006

Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac’hlerglünä da Lhiun

Mîmbreu Xhugnhör da l'Avocatür Rexhital

I support the "United Provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandenburg."

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Yeah, L has a bunch of different pronunciations...
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac’hlerglünä da Lhiun

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on December 08, 2019, 08:30:02 AM
I am pretty sure /l/ is [ð] in intervocalic position, and not just word-initally after a vowel (which is "Vl", so that is not strictly word-initally, but I guess this means "#Vl"?).
Mîmbreu Xhugnhör da l'Avocatür Rexhital

I support the "United Provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandenburg."

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac'hlerglünä da Lhiun on December 08, 2019, 10:24:02 AM
Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on December 08, 2019, 08:30:02 AM
I am pretty sure /l/ is [ð] in intervocalic position, and not just word-initally after a vowel (which is "Vl", so that is not strictly word-initally, but I guess this means "#Vl"?).

What I meant by "word-initally after a vowel" is "word-initially only if the preceding word ends in a vowel", like in la livertà (Scurz. Gram., page 13). The Talossan Pronunciation PDF that Miestră attached above and the Introduction to the 1997 Treisour (link, page 13) share my interpretation.

talossan.com and Hool say that /l/ > [ð] always occurs between vowels, but Cresti disagrees: link.

I don't know, it looks to me like /l/ > [ð] / V_V was just a misinterpretation on Hool's part that somehow managed to get into talossan.com unnoticed.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on December 08, 2019, 10:41:35 AM
I don't know, it looks to me like /l/ > [ð] / V_V was just a misinterpretation on Hool's part that somehow managed to get into talossan.com unnoticed.

Can I suggest - as a "rule of thumb" - that where KR1's materials and post-2005 CÚG materials differ (on matters other than orthography) KR1's materials should be preferred?

On the subject of pronunciation I have no idea whether the CÚG were in the habit of actually speaking the language and thus would be able to see whether certain pronunciations were "practical".