Mathematics Course (Maybe)?

Started by Ian Plätschisch, April 03, 2020, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

Azul,

It's been suggested that I offer some kind of math course here, and maybe I will. First I would need to know if people are interested at all, and what they are interested in.

Ián Tamorán S.H.

I am certainly interested (I have, heaven help us!, a master's degree in mathematic), and I can be of help here - but I'm a lousy teacher.

Assuming that we want to look at interesting mathematics (rather than just currently useful mathematics), then the classes of numbers are great fun - counting numbers, integers, rational, real, algebraic, transcendental, complex, etc. And, no, there is not just one sentence to be said about each of them.
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

Ian Plätschisch

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I would do it.  I would also note this is a symptom of the dreaded Talossan Disease, where you get hooked and keep inventing new ways to get involved and do things.  I hope for an epidemic.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein