Symbols of the Ziu Act

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, February 09, 2023, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

WHEREAS the official symbols and flags for the Cosa and the Senats were chosen in the seventeenth and twentieth Cosas, respectively, by the illustrious method of directly stealing the symbol of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, and

WHEREAS that is embarrassing and we should have our own stuff, and

WHEREAS the Coletx d'Armeux Rexhital has come up with some perfectly lovely new symbols that we should endorse,

THEREFORE it is resolved by the King, Cosa, and Senäts in Ziu assembled that the ninth and tenth subsections of Title F of el Lexhatx shall be deleted, and replaced with the following text:

Quote9. the official device of the Senäts shall be Argent, the facade of Merrill Hall sable, within a braided bordure or studded with eight jewels gules.  The official flag of the Senäts shall be a 2:3 vertically striped bicolour of green and red, charged on the fly side with the device of the Senäts.

10. the official device of the Cosa shall be Argent, the facade of Merrill Hall sable, within an engrailed bordure or.  The official flag of the Cosa shall be a 2:3 vertically striped bicolour of red and green, charged on the fly side with the device of the Cosa.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Baron Alexandreu Davinescu (MC-TNC)
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

This bill should amend el Lexhatx § F.9 and 10.

I don't particularly like the idea of using building outlines as symbols. But that's my personal idea, I'd prefer a symbol proper to the legislature not linked to the building that might not house the Houses in a distant future, but if you'd all go for this I can adapt.

BTW I should note that the dominant colour proposed for the houses is the opposite of the traditional colours in Westminster style parliaments and the dominant colours in upper houses around the world traditionally (in western countries) is red (and this is the origin of the use of red in Westminster for the House of Lords) because of the use in Rome of burgundy to denote power/imperium.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on February 11, 2023, 03:10:34 AMThis bill should amend el Lexhatx § F.9 and 10.

Very true!  Thank you, I feel silly for having missed that.

The change is as minimal as possible, not touching other choices that you mention.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on February 11, 2023, 06:15:54 AM
Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on February 11, 2023, 03:10:34 AMThis bill should amend el Lexhatx § F.9 and 10.

The change is as minimal as possible, not touching other choices that you mention.

So may I suggest to invert the colours in the description of the flags?

the official flag of the Cosa shall be a 2:3 vertically striped bicolour of red and green, charged on the fly side with the device of the Cosa.

the official flag of the Senats shall be a 2:3 vertically striped bicolour of green and red, charged on the fly side with the device of the Senats.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on February 11, 2023, 07:35:36 AM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on February 11, 2023, 06:15:54 AM

So may I suggest to invert the colours in the description of the flags?

the official flag of the Cosa shall be a 2:3 vertically striped bicolour of red and green, charged on the fly side with the device of the Cosa.

the official flag of the Senats shall be a 2:3 vertically striped bicolour of green and red, charged on the fly side with the device of the Senats.
I don't have a problem with it -- is it okay if I run it by the crew at the Coletx first?

Üc R. Tärfă

Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

Okay. I have brought it up again with them. I expect no significant pushback, honestly, but it seems like the courteous thing to do after so many people participated in these designs.