Budget and Financial Planning Bill for the 58th Cosa

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, March 04, 2023, 01:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

WHEREAS the Organic Law directs that each government submit a budget by the second Clark of their Cosa term,

PART A: Financial Report

The current funds of the Kingdom consist of a checking account, a savings account, and a Paypal account.  On report from the Burgermeister of Inland Revenue as of 30 March 2023, these accounts stand at the following balances:
•  Checking: 31¤4 ($46.60 USD)
•  Savings: 785¤40 ($1,178.50 USD)
•  Paypal: 183¤38 ($275.44 USD)
       Total: 1000¤22 ($1500.54 USD)

There was no previous Financial Report for the previous Cosa term, but on report from the Burgermeister of Inland Revenue, the following are the expenditures from the last budget which occurred between 21 May 2022 and 30 Mar 2023:
•  -40¤34 ($60.85 USD)    Webhosting costs
•  -18¤12 ($27.30 USD)    Webhosting costs
•  -35¤23 ($53.07 USD)    Google ads

Since the last legal Financial Report in February of 2020, on report from the Burgermeister of Inland Revue the following changes to account balances have occurred as of 30 Mar 2023:
•  Checking:+4¤49 ($7.23 USD)
•  Savings:+76¤38 ($114.96 USD)
•  Paypal:+139¤32 ($209.29 USD)

The amount of current coinage and stamps in circulation and in reserve is currently unknown.  This information will be provided in a supplemental report to the Ziu.

PART B: Budget

THEREFORE, His Majesty's Government hereby submits to the Ziu a request for the appropriation of funds from the Royal Treasury totaling 366¤40 ($550 USD) for the specific purposes and subject to restrictions as outlined herein:

Ministrà dal Cúltură
  • Culture grants 66¤40 ($100 USD)
This amount will be set aside for fulfillment of any Culture Initiative Support Fund grants.  These grants are intended to help spur and reward activity from our citizens, providing them with small amounts to support language, journalism, or other cultural plans.  In previous years, most of this money has gone unspent.

Ministrà dal Tec'hnoloxhà
  • Speculative Webhosting costs 133¤20 ($200 USD)
For obvious Wittpocalypse-related reasons, future plans for our web infrastructure remain uncertain.  As the Ministreu dal Tec'hnoloxhà explores different options in conjunction with Permanent Secretary da Schir, the Government is erring on the cautious side and appropriating sufficient funds to meet a variety of needs.  It is our expectation that only a small portion of this money will need to be spent.

Ministrà dels Afaes Utphätseschti
  • BHAID 33¤20 ($50 USD)
The Bureau for Humanitarian Aid and International Development will continue its support for important causes worldwide.

Ministrà à Savanar da Talossa àls Ultra-Fiovaes Folăs
  • Advertising 66¤40 ($100 USD)
These funds will accommodate a cost-effective and high-impact future advertising campaign.

• Stationary and Postage for IDs and Certificates 66¤40 ($100 USD)
Once state assets are recovered from private hands and the ID program can continue, the Government will employ this sum to print, laminate, and mail the results.  Awards and grants will also be printed on fine paper and mailed to recipients.

FURTHERMORE, notwithstanding the above allocations, no funds shall be disbursed without a notice of disbursement having first been transmitted to the Ziu at least fourteen days prior to the disbursement, except that disbursements solely for the purpose of postage may be made with no less than 24 hours notice. Notices shall contain details of the purchase and a cost estimate for the purchase, or the total amount paid if seeking funds for reimbursement. Copies of receipts and/or invoices will be provided upon request to Members of the Ziu.

FURTHERMORE, any funds allocated by this section shall be retained in the central fund by the Burgermeister of Inland Revenue until such time as they are disbursed. Funds not disbursed prior to the end of the government term shall remain in the central fund.

PART C: Investment Policy

FURTHERMORE, His Majesty's Government hereby directs the Burgermeister of Inland Revenue to invest all held funds into a high-interest savings account unless or until otherwise directed or advised by act of the Ziu.

PART D: Coinage and Postage

FURTHERMORE, His Majesty's Government has no plans to coin monies or print postage during this term, as supplies remain sufficient to sustain both markets.

PART E: Donations Target

FURTHERMORE, His Majesty's Government proposes a voluntary fundraising goal of $200 over the course of this term.

PART F: Designated Assassination Targets

<REDACTED>

Uréu q'estadra så
His Majesty's Government, represented by Ministreu dal Finançù Alexandreu Davinescu
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

Debate on the Budget and Financial Planning Bill are more on the policy rather than the text in itself, so I hope Ministreux will indulge me if I reply in a TERP-style.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 04, 2023, 01:12:01 PM

TBD:
2.8.1.2.1. the amount, location, liquidity, and availability of all funds held by or for the Royal Treasury,
2.8.1.2.2. a detailed list of all changes in the account balances of the Royal Treasury since the last Report,
2.8.1.2.3. a balance sheet which clearly lists all expenses linking them to the relative sheet items in the budget bills approved in the Cosa,
2.8.1.2.4. the total amount of louise and postal items in circulation.

BTW: It doesn't change anything because I believe it is only a placeholder, but the relevant subsections in the Lexhatx are § C.1.5.6 (or § D.2.8.3.1).

PART B: Budget

THEREFORE, His Majesty's Government hereby submits to the Ziu a request for the appropriation of funds from the Royal Treasury totaling ℓ400 ($600 USD) for the specific purposes and subject to restrictions as outlined herein:

Ministrà dal Cúltură
  • Culture grants 66¤40 ($100 USD)
This amount will be set aside for fulfillment of any Culture Initiative Support Fund grants.  These grants are intended to help spur and reward activity from our citizens, providing them with small amounts to support language, journalism, or other cultural plans.

Ministrà dal Tec'hnoloxhà
  • Speculative Webhosting costs 133¤20 ($200 USD)
For obvious Wittpocalypse-related reasons, future plans for our web infrastructure remain uncertain.  As the Ministreu dal Tec'hnoloxhà explores different options in conjunction with Permanent Secretary da Schir, the Government is erring on the cautious side and appropriating sufficient funds to meet a variety of needs.

Can the Ministreu specify whether the 133¤20 ($200 USD) are in addition to or they include the ℓ60 ($90 USD) authorized by Lexhatx § D.2.8.4.1?

If they are in addition, I think 193¤20 ($290 USD) is quite a large sum to appropriate. Shouldn't be better to lower it and appropriate new funds if needed with a supplemental budgeting legislation when the Report by the Ministreu dal Tec'hnoloxhà announced by the Seneschal on discord will be submitted to the Ziu?

Otherwise, if it inludes the ℓ60, it should be clearly highlighted in the text: 73¤20 ($110 USD) in addition to the funds authorized by Lexhatx § D.2.8.4.1.

QuoteMinistrà dels Afaes Utphätseschti
  • BHAID 66¤40 ($100 USD)
The Bureau for Humanitarian Aid and International Development will continue its support for important causes worldwide.

I'm not a priori against the idea of appropriating funds from the Treasury to BHAID but I'm not comfortable with the idea to appropriate 100$ (which is a relative large sum for our Treasury) as a white cheque for donation without including in the law (withouth the possibility of being able to agree (or not) to whom or to which cause they will be donated. My doubts are on the principle itself, so the spending authority removal of the Cosă in § D.2.8.7 doesn't answer them. I'd prefer we stick to ad hoc legislation like RZ2.

Before the second data loss, the Ministreu dal Finançù informed us that the Ministreu dels Afaes Utphätseschti already has some plans, can the Ministreu @Bråneu Excelsio share with the Ziu some details of it?

QuoteMinistrà à Savanar da Talossa àls Ultra-Fiovaes Folăs
These funds will accommodate a cost-effective and high-impact future advertising campaigns.

I already received some information on this before the data loss, and I know we are at an early stage, but I'd like to hear more on what the Ministreu @Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat is planning.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on March 08, 2023, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 04, 2023, 01:12:01 PM

TBD:
2.8.1.2.1. the amount, location, liquidity, and availability of all funds held by or for the Royal Treasury,
2.8.1.2.2. a detailed list of all changes in the account balances of the Royal Treasury since the last Report,
2.8.1.2.3. a balance sheet which clearly lists all expenses linking them to the relative sheet items in the budget bills approved in the Cosa,
2.8.1.2.4. the total amount of louise and postal items in circulation.

BTW: It doesn't change anything because I believe it is only a placeholder, but the relevant subsections in the Lexhatx are § C.1.5.6 (or § D.2.8.3.1).

D.2.8.3.1 refers to the requirements for this bill as a whole, which are already addressed in its text. The sections I reference above are the requirements for the financial report (i.e. the needs for this particular section).

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on March 08, 2023, 05:49:00 PMCan the Ministreu specify whether the 133¤20 ($200 USD) are in addition to or they include the ℓ60 ($90 USD) authorized by Lexhatx § D.2.8.4.1?

If they are in addition, I think 193¤20 ($290 USD) is quite a large sum to appropriate. Shouldn't be better to lower it and appropriate new funds if needed with a supplemental budgeting legislation when the Report by the Ministreu dal Tec'hnoloxhà announced by the Seneschal on discord will be submitted to the Ziu?

Otherwise, if it inludes the ℓ60, it should be clearly highlighted in the text: 73¤20 ($110 USD) in addition to the funds authorized by Lexhatx § D.2.8.4.1.

These are in addition, and we expect to spend much less than that.  However, given the numerous difficulties we've been having, and the prospect of the unknown, we want to err on the side of caution in terms of our flexibility.  We have no intention of spending money recklessly, and indeed I'd love to reduce this number down to a handful of louise.  But at this point it would be penny-wise and pound-foolish not to prepare for an eventuality where we need to quickly contract with another server.

So again, to be clear: these appropriated funds will not be spent if that can be managed at all.

• BHAID 66¤40 ($100 USD)

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on March 08, 2023, 05:49:00 PMI'm not a priori against the idea of appropriating funds from the Treasury to BHAID but I'm not comfortable with the idea to appropriate 100$ (which is a relative large sum for our Treasury) as a white cheque for donation without including in the law (withouth the possibility of being able to agree (or not) to whom or to which cause they will be donated. My doubts are on the principle itself, so the spending authority removal of the Cosă in § D.2.8.7 doesn't answer them. I'd prefer we stick to ad hoc legislation like RZ2.

The Cosa may vote to deny any disbursement requests with a simple one-third vote.

This sum represents the amount we believe might be worthwhile spending this term, depending on fundraising, and that is the purpose of a budget.

While individual appropriations have their place, they also require much more time, and that can be a problem when it comes to such causes as disaster relief.  An individual appropriations bill requires time in the Hopper, approval by the CRL, and the full voting time in the Clark.  A dollar the first week is worth ten a month later.

These funds will accommodate a cost-effective and high-impact future advertising campaigns.

I already received some information on this before the data loss, and I know we are at an early stage, but I'd like to hear more on what the Ministreu @Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat is planning.

As mentioned, I said that we have not even begun exploring options seriously, yet, but that we are obligated to specify an amount for a future advertising campaign now, at the start of the term.  We will present those options for public comment, and then any decision, well prior to any expenditures.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 08, 2023, 08:58:12 PMD.2.8.3.1 refers to the requirements for this bill as a whole, which are already addressed in its text. The sections I reference above are the requirements for the financial report (i.e. the needs for this particular section).

No they are not. They were moved to subsections of § C.1.5.6 by 57RZ22.

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on March 08, 2023, 05:49:00 PMCan the Ministreu specify whether the 133¤20 ($200 USD) are in addition to or they include the ℓ60 ($90 USD) authorized by Lexhatx § D.2.8.4.1?

These are in addition, and we expect to spend much less than that.  However, given the numerous difficulties we've been having, and the prospect of the unknown, we want to err on the side of caution in terms of our flexibility.  We have no intention of spending money recklessly, and indeed I'd love to reduce this number down to a handful of louise.  But at this point it would be penny-wise and pound-foolish not to prepare for an eventuality where we need to quickly contract with another server.

I really do hope that you have no intention of spending money recklessly  ;D

QuoteSo again, to be clear: these appropriated funds will not be spent if that can be managed at all.

I can assure you that I'm familiar with how a budget works.  ;)

• BHAID 66¤40 ($100 USD)

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on March 08, 2023, 05:49:00 PMI'm not a priori against the idea of appropriating funds from the Treasury to BHAID but I'm not comfortable with the idea to appropriate 100$ (which is a relative large sum for our Treasury) as a white cheque for donation without including in the law (withouth the possibility of being able to agree (or not) to whom or to which cause they will be donated. My doubts are on the principle itself, so the spending authority removal of the Cosă in § D.2.8.7 doesn't answer them. I'd prefer we stick to ad hoc legislation like RZ2.

The Cosa may vote to deny any disbursement requests with a simple one-third vote.

Yes I know, that's the spending authority removal of the Cosă in Lexh. § D.2.8.7 I mentioned above.

QuoteThis sum represents the amount we believe might be worthwhile spending this term, depending on fundraising, and that is the purpose of a budget.

The BHAID, as it is currently written into the Law, has a quite peculiar position in the Budget (I'm drafting some bills to adress the matter). Regarding the BHAID the purpose of the budget is not the amount you are planning to spend, rather the amount you are planning to appropriate to BHAID from the Treasury (and yes, I know the difference between appropriate and spend). The fundraising goal included in the budget ($200 USD) is limited to Lexh. § D.2.8.8 and doesn't include the donations to BHAID ex Lexh. § D.2.6.6.2.

QuoteWhile individual appropriations have their place, they also require much more time, and that can be a problem when it comes to such causes as disaster relief.  An individual appropriations bill requires time in the Hopper, approval by the CRL, and the full voting time in the Clark. 

A dollar the first week is worth ten a month later.

Just to be clear: a dollar in the third week at least, not the first week.

I don't personally like the idea to appopriate such a large part of our Treasury to donations without knowing the receiver beforehand. However, as I said before, you mentioned that the Foreign Affairs Ministry is working on something, I'd like to know a little more on that.

As mentioned, I said that we have not even begun exploring options seriously, yet, but that we are obligated to specify an amount for a future advertising campaign now, at the start of the term.  We will present those options for public comment, and then any decision, well prior to any expenditures.

I am sure you will. I wasn't asking for the full plan of course, just to know a little more of the ideas that are being considered by the Ministry than "a cost-effective and high-impact future advertising campaigns": I think it is due to the Ziu since you are asking to appropriate the funds.

I am more than happy to place formal Terpelaziuns to the Foreign Affaris and STUFF Ministers if I need to do that.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

I have to say how much I appreciate the general energy and the particular demeanor of both yourself and Dama Miestra with your comprehensive efforts; I think that it is quite helpful to the whole country for a number of reasons. It seems that we do have perhaps some philosophical conflict about the nature of the budget itself, as well as about specific items of note, but I am glad of the exchange.

As I mentioned a couple of times, we do not have specifics about the advertising campaign or BHAID recipients, beyond intentions to conduct such a campaign should we become able to find a good approach that would be cost-effective and high-impact and intentions to find worthy recipients of Talossan largesse that will be similarly cost-effective and high-impact.  The law requires that we submit a budget in time for the second Clark, but researching different options will be explored later in the term.  You may certainly pose terpelaziuns as you feel might be helpful, but I suspect the answers will be the same, having discussed it with the Ministreu already.

Thank you, either way.  The TNC was swept into office by the first outright majority in a decade, and I think a big part of that has been our can-do attitude and cheerful inclusionism, and we are very happy to get to work soon on implementing some of our proposals -- once we get past the crises into which we were thrown in our first week!

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if there's anything else I can help with.

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 09, 2023, 10:05:41 AMI have to say how much I appreciate the general energy and the particular demeanor of both yourself and Dama Miestra with your comprehensive efforts; I think that it is quite helpful to the whole country for a number of reasons.

I'm glad that you appreciate the energy, the demeanor and the efforts. Itm

QuoteIt seems that we do have perhaps some philosophical conflict about the nature of the budget itself,

It's the first time I'm told that there could be a philosophical conflict about the nature itself of budget. Technical yeah, political many many times. But never philosophical on the nature!  :D

QuoteThe law requires that we submit a budget in time for the second Clark,

Yes, that is the law.

Quotebut researching different options will be explored later in the term.

And I'm sure you will, I was asking not to know the plan that will be put in place, but rather the general idea on the options that will be explored. Digital advertising? Yes no, maybe? Continuing Google ads? Yes no why?Old-style advertising? What? Where? Addressed to whom? I'm sure the Government has some ideas where to start to explore different options: that is what I'm asking. Nothing long or detailed, just the general ideas that are/will be considered as the starting point.

QuoteYou may certainly pose terpelaziuns as you feel might be helpful, but I suspect the answers will be the same, having discussed it with the Ministreu already.

Thank you, I appreciate your efforts, but I'd like to hear directly from them on this particular matter if it is possible.

QuoteThank you, either way.  The TNC was swept into office by the first outright majority in a decade, and I think a big part of that has been our can-do attitude and cheerful inclusionism, and we are very happy to get to work soon on implementing some of our proposals -- once we get past the crises into which we were thrown in our first week!

And I'm sure you will be happy to work soon in implementing your proposal! That's the job of the Government. My job is - also - to scrutinise your work. :)

QuotePlease let me know if you have any further questions, or if there's anything else I can help with.

Yes, I'm truly (it's a genuine question) curious to understand which you think are the different perspectives on the philosophical conflict over the nature of the budget.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

More broadly to all:

I have updated the bill to reflect information from the Burgermeister of Inland Revenue.  At this time, the Burgermeister has not yet gained access to the Kingdom's Paypal.  It seems as though his predecessor also did not have access to this account.  Similarly, we have very incomplete information about the situation with coins and stamps.

Resolving this issue is one of my top priorities, but it does not appear likely that the matter will be remedied before this bill is submitted.   More information will be provided as it becomes available, but the financial report will be incomplete.

EDIT: Txec says (below) that he did have access, but it was just quite hard to make happen.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

May I correct one statement? I do/did have access to PayPal. It took some effort and the new Burgermeister is having similar difficulties. The former Burgermeister told me he would continue handling stamps until a permanent BIR was selected. Our current PayPal balance is $267.93. I transferred  $200 to the kingdoms bank account in December as I felt at the time it was unwise to keep a large balance. More money has since come in as parties and Senators paid their fees as well as at least one donation.

We do have access to PayPal. Our issue is transferring it.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Thank you!  Excellent, we might be able to get this set more quickly than I'd hoped, excellent!  I will update with that information.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 13, 2023, 08:02:55 AMThank you!  Excellent, we might be able to get this set more quickly than I'd hoped, excellent!  I will update with that information.

Perhaps verifying facts before posting is advised? Our funds have always been safe. The issue has been bank and website security, not the control of and access to our funds.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

I wasn't worried about their safety, but it was worrying that we'd had uncertain access in the past and now.  I'm glad it wasn't an insuperable issue, and that it should be resolved again soon.  I am justly reprimanded!  Edited my post with a note reflecting your correction.  Thanks again!

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 13, 2023, 08:07:37 AMI wasn't worried about their safety, but it was worrying that we'd had uncertain access in the past and now.  I'm glad it wasn't an insuperable issue, and that it should be resolved again soon.  I am justly reprimanded!

PayPal security is no joke!
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

That's probably a good thing, on balance.  So then our main worries right now are the logistics behind account ownership and our physical assets.  Probably something to discuss with you and our new Burgermeister, when we have a chance.

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 04, 2023, 01:12:01 PMPART A: Financial Report

The current funds of the Kingdom consist of a checking account, a savings account, and a Paypal account.  On report from the Burgermeister of Inland Revenue, these accounts stand at the following balances:
Checking: $1,178.50
Savings: $46.60
Paypal: $267.93
Total: $1493.03

To be clear: those are the balances right now?

Correct me If I'm wrong:  I understand that the difficulties are only in transferring "ownership" of the PayPal account, and not in acessing it. And that is understandable. However I must stress that that report is falling below the requirements of the law, and as the newly appointed BIR has access to the accounts, the Report should be made in compliance with the law.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

Yes, these are the current balances.  The current Burgermeister does not yet have access to Paypal, although we hope that this will be remedied soon.  Is there some particular information you'd like me to add, to which you are referring?