News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Thanks!

Started by King John, March 10, 2023, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King John

I think the entire nation owes a huge vote of thanks to those who have worked so diligently to put the recent technical glitches behind us.  Lüc, Dama Miestra, Sir Txec, Danihel, others I might have missed -- you guys totally rock.  (Note the old dude's feeble attempt to sound "with it".)

This kind of thing is horribly frustrating, but hey, that's why we have computers.  I spent an entire career *counting* on the fact that machines can mess things up hugely.  Ask Lord Hooligan about the script he wrote one day to recover lots of disk space by going from machine to machine all around the company, logging in with basic "God" permissions, and deleting useless files on each.  The script was spectacularly successful, in the admittedly limited sense that it DID recover LOTS of disk space.

Crises can seem huge at the moment when they're happening, but we can (usually) take comfort in the thought that in a few years we won't be able to recall for sure even what year this happened in.  And in 40 years, this whole thing will be nothing but an answer in a Talossan Trivia contest.  (With maybe a brief mention in a This Month In Talossa History broadcast.)

Anyway, a heartfelt THANK YOU to all those involved in the recovery efforts!

-- John R

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: King John on March 10, 2023, 04:45:35 PMCrises can seem huge at the moment when they're happening, but we can (usually) take comfort in the thought that in a few years we won't be able to recall for sure even what year this happened in.  And in 40 years, this whole thing will be nothing but an answer in a Talossan Trivia contest.  (With maybe a brief mention in a This Month In Talossa History broadcast.)

El crisi dels serveirs del 2023/XLIV
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on March 10, 2023, 06:04:45 PM
Quote from: Üc R. Tärfâ on March 10, 2023, 05:37:35 PMEl crisi dels serveirs del 2023/XLIV

*dallas 2023/XLIV

I was JUST going to edit it! You beat me :D (romance language speaker classic error, like in french I tend to say de le instead of du 🥲)
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

"In 2023/XLIV, there was an extended shutdown of the Kingdom servers, described as being located in Dallas, Texas. The cause has been ascribed to the drunken antics of the Secretary of State of the time, Sir Doctor."
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 11, 2023, 07:51:55 AM"In 2023/XLIV, there was an extended shutdown of the Kingdom servers, described as being located in Dallas, Texas. The cause has been ascribed to the drunken antics of the Secretary of State of the time, Sir Doctor."

Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I'm not up much on Doctor Who but I think it would be hilarious if this all morphed somehow years down the road. Sir Doctor...love it!
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

This is a depiction of you as the 10th Doctor, played by David Tennant. Objectively the best Doctor.