The New Word Suggestion Threads -- El Fil dels Noveux Mocts Suxhestats

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, April 10, 2020, 06:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 12, 2020, 05:21:15 PM
Possibly. The latter is the spelling we used in the Republic, but you're right that the former looks more linguistically correct.

Ah, if it's been in use already then I of course rescind my objection.

Wait, TalossaWiki says the spelling was Tanáischteu. What gives?
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I honestly don't have a clue. The Wiki is not to be trusted, too many people edit that miéida and some of them have a trolling/disinformation agenda. And the Republic Witt is offline so I can't check it out. I advise you to use your best judgement.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Miestra, you're the source.  Don't you remember the whole discussion about the title?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Since clearly I don't remember, and Republic Witt is down, I endorse Tánischteu as the reformed spelling.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

I found something:

Quote from: Miestră in 2014Eric: the Talossan word I chose for Opposition leader - amazed that there was none in the formal dictionary - was tanáischteu, from the Irish meaning "successor" or "alternative".
source

I think Tanaischteu (no accent mark since leaving it out wouldnt change the pronunciation) is good.

New year, new word suggestion. Without further ado:

Talossan word: grefierïă
English translation: scribery
Part of speech: Noun (feminine)
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): Chancellor --> Cantzeleir, Chancery --> Cantzelerïa, Scribe --> Grefieir, Scribery --> Grefierïa

Here's my personal take on grefierïă:

While the parallel to cantzeleir ~ cantzelerïă is pretty convincing, I do have an objection to make, namely that there is already a Talossan word for "scribery" in use: scriuerïă. It is used in some TalossaWiki articles, which is what I chose for the L'Estat document. From a purely aesthetic point of view, grefierïă is the better choice, but from a descriptivist point of view, scriuerïă ought to be prefered.

I'm conflicted. What do you think?

Iac Marscheir

Téu aucün opiniuns över ça. Téu simplămint fäts 'n glheþinaziun listeral. Schi ja'iens moct q'isch detxa uçescu, instüzös ça uficialità eda mancançă da ça, acest moct put estar el miglhor à guardar. À mhïus, façar acest non noi resquirarha àð inovar els texts existinds cün 'n noveu moct.

(I have no strong opinions either way. I simply made a literal translation. If there's already a word in use, regardless of its status as official or not, maybe that's the better one to keep. At least, doing that doesn't require us to update the existing texts with a new word.)

Azul everyone. New word suggestion.

Talossan word: infrastrütür
English translation: infrastructure
Part of speech: Noun (masculine)
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): infrared --> infraroxh / structure --> strütür / infra- + structure --> infra- + strütür --> infrastrütür

This word seems like a no-brainer to me, and I might as well add it right away. Any objections?

Hello everyone. There have been no word suggestions since the last time I posted here, but I would like to propose a new word regardless.

Talossan word: axhuntar
English translation: to add
Part of speech: Verb
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): derived from Romansh agiuntar "to add", alternatively from Sardinian aggiuntare "to add" and Talossan axhuntă "adjunct, rider". First suggested by Tafial and subsequented supported by S:reu Siervicül in 2015.

[table style="width:100%;" border=1]
[tr][td]Infinitive[/td][td colspan=6]axhuntar[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Present Participle[/td][td colspan=6]axhuntind(s)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Past Participle[/td][td colspan=6]axhuntat(s), axhuntadă(s), axhuntescu (-schti)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]éu[/td] [td]tu[/td][td]o/a/ça[/td][td]noi[/td][td]voi[/td][td]os/as/ça[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Present[/td][td]axhuntéu[/td] [td]axhuntás[/td][td]axhunta[/td][td]axhuntent (axhuntameux)[/td][td]axhuntetz[/td][td]axhuntent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Past[/td][td]axhunteveu[/td] [td]axhuntevás[/td][td]axhunteva[/td][td]axhuntevent (axhuntevameux)[/td][td]axhuntevetz[/td][td]axhuntevent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Future[/td][td]axhuntarhéu[/td] [td]axhuntarhás[/td][td]axhuntarha[/td][td]axhuntarhent (axhuntarhameux)[/td][td]axhuntarhetz[/td][td]axhuntarhent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Conditional[/td][td]axhuntadréu[/td] [td]axhuntadrás[/td][td]axhuntadra[/td][td]axhuntadrent (axhuntadrameux)[/td][td]axhuntadretz[/td][td]axhuntadrent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imperative[/td][td][/td] [td]¡axhunta![/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]¡axhuntetz![/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

It is my belief that this word is well enough established to add to the dictionary right away. Should anyone object, I will remove it again and put it up to a discussion.

I'm currently working on a translation of S:reu Tzaracompradas Book of Cuisine, and I noticed that we're missing some food words.

Talossan word: cardamomeu
English translation: cardamom
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): Latin cardamomum, Italian cardamomo, Spanish cardamomo

Talossan word: cumineu
English translation: cumin
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): Latin cuminum, Italian cumino, Spanish comino

Talossan word: ugnhiun da primavară
English translation: scallion, green onion
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): Romansh tschagula da primavaira, lit. "spring onion"

Talossan word: marinar
English translation: to marinate
Part of speech: Verb
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): Romansh marinar, French mariner, Italian marinare...

[table style="width:100%;" border=1]
[tr][td]Infinitive[/td][td colspan=6]marinar[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Present Participle[/td][td colspan=6]marinind(s)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Past Participle[/td][td colspan=6]marinat(s), marinadă(s), marinescu (-schti)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]éu[/td] [td]tu[/td][td]o/a/ça[/td][td]noi[/td][td]voi[/td][td]os/as/ça[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Present[/td][td]marinéu[/td] [td]marinás[/td][td]marina[/td][td]marinent (marinameux)[/td][td]marinetz[/td][td]marinent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Past[/td][td]marineveu[/td] [td]marinevás[/td][td]marineva[/td][td]marinevent (marinevameux)[/td][td]marinevetz[/td][td]marinevent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Future[/td][td]marinarhéu[/td] [td]marinarhás[/td][td]marinarha[/td][td]marinarhent (marinarhameux)[/td][td]marinarhetz[/td][td]marinarhent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Conditional[/td][td]marinadréu[/td] [td]marinadrás[/td][td]marinadra[/td][td]marinadrent (marinadrameux)[/td][td]marinadretz[/td][td]marinadrent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imperative[/td][td][/td] [td]¡marina![/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]¡marinetz![/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

Talossan word: clementină
English translation: clementine (fruit)
Context (e.g. citations for use, word origin, etc.): Romansh clementina, French clémentine, Italian clementina

Thoughts?

I'd like to remind everyone that I will not add these words to the dictionary until I've had some input from other members of SIGN.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I'm happy with all of these, although the spice names which just look like the English names + eu almost look like Archaic Talossan

Very well, then.

EDIT: I just realised the Treisour already had an entry for cumin, cüminsatour, except I wouldnt find it because the entry was spelled "CUMMIN". Instead of adding cumineu I'll change that entry to CUMMIN, CUMIN.