Financial Process Reform Bill

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, March 21, 2023, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Goals with this bill:
  • To put some teeth behind some of the reporting requirements, so they can't be ignored.
  • Change things so that an outgoing government has to report on expenditures they've done (just a quick report linking to disbursements under a copy-and-pasted budget).
  • Change what's reported.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 21, 2023, 09:58:16 AMGoals with this bill:
  • To put some teeth behind some of the reporting requirements, so they can't be ignored.
  • Change things so that an outgoing government has to report on expenditures they've done (just a quick report linking to disbursements under a copy-and-pasted budget).
  • Change what's reported.

It looks like at least one member of the FDT has indicated support for re-establishing end of Cosa financial reporting.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Üc R. Tärfă

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 21, 2023, 09:58:16 AM

No.
The Report must stay under the Burgermeister.

The red line here is: keep the job of the Burgermeister (Civil Officer) distinct from the Government. The reporting is up to the Civil Officer and not to the Government.

I will support - and that was already my idea on a financial reform - to detach completely the Report from the Budget. This will also amplify the fact that the Report shall not be a government job.

On the timing, frankly I still believe that the end of the Cosă is not the right time. We don't have a big budget and little expenses.

Is the job of the Ziu to enquire how  the Government spend the money, we should let the Ziu do its job. Nowhere in the world government are evaluated on the final statement: the main focus is on the budget and of the money spent were useful or not.

The account balances says nothing useful on the Government. Given our peculiar nature, I believe that the important aspect of the Report is to assess the state of our Treasury in order to be able to draft - and evaluate - a new Budget. To understand what we have, what we could have and what we can do with the money.

We should be *real* on that, let's detach for a moment from politicking.
We must do what we need.

It doesn't make sense to have the final statement on the budget 4 months apart from the the moment when the next budget is drafted and voted upon. No-one in the world does that way because it is useless. We would have a report on treasury that will be different from the state of the treasury when we will vote on the next budget, especially because we will have a report made before one of the maim revenue of our Treasury: Registration Fees.

Let the Ziu scrutinize how the Government spend the Money, and let the Financial Report what it should be: the final statement and useful. It's not the instrument to scrutinise a Government.

The Financial Report should be prepared by the Burgemeister and released let's say before the 1st day of the first Clark (and it must report the state of the treasury at a date not before the last election day?). In this way the report will be useful to draft and evaluate the budget.

I have also some idea on BHAID (the Burgermeister should organise itself (a spreadsheet) to crate a Private Donations to BHAID FUND inside the Treasury because that money can be disbursed without ziu authorization - so they must be accounted separately), and notice of disbursement should be required by law only for disbursement from the treasury to BHAID because those are not "controlled" by the Ziu.

This are my proposals, I'll write a starting point proposal.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I think I'm actually going to go ahead and keep working on these ideas, actually.  We're just off of a couple of years where there was no financial report and no disbursement reports.  We need to make some structural changes to how things are done in that respect, to stop it from happening again.  Thank you, though.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein