The Organizing Our Finances Act

Started by Tric'hard Lenxheir, March 22, 2023, 08:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tric'hard Lenxheir

THE ORGANIZING OUR FINANCES ACT

Whereas our current system leads to chaos and
Whereas the people of Talossa deserve a more organized transition of government especially as it pertains to the nations finances
Be it enacted by the King, Cosa and Senats in Ziu an additional section to be numbered Section C 1.5.8 in El Lexh

C.1.5.8 The burgermeister shall be required to submit a Final Financial Report 30 days before the end of the Cosa to include all expenditures during the Cosa.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Tric'hard Lenxheir

I am sure this will need some tweaking.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on March 22, 2023, 08:10:52 PMTHE ORGANIZING OUR FINANCES ACT

Whereas the people of Talossa deserve a more organized transition of government especially as it pertains to the nations finances
Be it enacted by the King, Cosa and Senats in Ziu

The burgermeister shall be required to submit a Final Financial Report 30 days before the end of the Cosa to include all expenditures during the Cosa.
Also be it enacted that there shall be a freeze on all government spending during the last 30 days of the Cosa, except that which is necessary for the proper functioning of the government or emergency funding which must be approved by the King and/or a 2/3rds majority of the Cosa.

Uréu q'estadra så:

This bill needs to specify where in El Lex it should go and ideally reference or change existing statute.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on March 22, 2023, 08:29:16 PM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on March 22, 2023, 08:10:52 PMTHE ORGANIZING OUR FINANCES ACT

The burgermeister shall be required to submit a Final Financial Report 30 days before the end of the Cosa to include all expenditures during the Cosa.
Also be it enacted that there shall be a freeze on all government spending during the last 30 days of the Cosa, except that which is necessary for the proper functioning of the government or emergency funding which must be approved by the King and/or a 2/3rds majority of the Cosa.

Uréu q'estadra så:

This bill needs to specify where in El Lex it should go and ideally reference or change existing statute.

I agree, do you have any suggestions on where it should go?

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on March 23, 2023, 05:38:25 AM
Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on March 22, 2023, 08:29:16 PM

Uréu q'estadra så:

I agree, do you have any suggestions on where it should go?

I have edited to add where I think it should be placed in El Lexh

Breneir Tzaracomprada

THE ORGANIZING OUR FINANCES ACT

Whereas our current system leads to chaos, and

Whereas the people of Talossa deserve a more organized transition of government, and

Whereas, this is especially true as it pertains to the nation's finances.

Therefore, be it enacted by the King, Cosa and Senats in Ziu, that a new section is added to Section C in El Lexhatxh, to read as follows:

QuoteC.1.5.8 The burgermeister shall be required to submit a Final Financial Report 30 days before the end of the Cosa to include all expenditures during the Cosa.

Also, be it further enacted, that there shall be a freeze on all government spending during the last 30 days of the Cosa, except that which is necessary for the proper functioning of the government or emergency funding which must be approved by the King and/or a 2/3rds majority of the Cosa.

Uréu q'estadra så:

Tric'hard I made a few proofreading edits, if acceptable.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I don't really like the spending freeze aspect of this. This never been a problem, as far as I can remember. May I suggest eliminating that provision?

I would also suggest changing this to the "anticipated conclusion of the Cosa term," instead of "end of the Cosa."
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 24, 2023, 04:48:37 PMI don't really like the spending freeze aspect of this. This never been a problem, as far as I can remember. May I suggest eliminating that provision?

I would also suggest changing this to the "anticipated conclusion of the Cosa term," instead of "end of the Cosa."

The only reason I included the spending freeze is because it could lead to confusion with the incoming government if money gets spent but not properly documented. The balances would not add up and could cause confusion and arguments. I did include a method of providing for emergency funding.

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

King should not be able to authorize expenditure without the Cosa, and your and/or gives him the ability to do this.  Given that financial bills have to originate int he Cosa, they should be the backstop here.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Changed the wording to indicate the preferred placement in El Lexh, removed the King's ability to approve and to make it more palatable for the good Baron I changed it to a simple majority of the Cosa to approve emergency spending in the final 30 days.

This bill could effectively end spending 60 days or more before the end of Cosa. Suppose the entire term goes by and no month of recess is called. At nearly the last minute it is decided to call a month of recess after the 6th Clark. Now we have 60 days without spending authority. Now, it takes a month for the election and certification, etc. now we are up to 90 days. So now we have been in a spending freeze for 3 months. That's half a Cosa term.

Do you see a problem? I do.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Also you say "proper functioning of government."  That could definitely mean, if we budgeted it we can spend it because it is within the proper functioning of government to do so.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Okay, since a few people don't seem to like the idea of the freeze on spending I have removed that part, though I think allowing spending after the final financial report opens up the possibility of more confusion. Look it over and let me know if you all think it will work better now. I will have to go back and see if it has been in the hopper long enough to clark with permission.

Üc R. Tärfă

Because in the end the problem is in the whole idea to have "the" financial report in that point of time far from the end of the possibility to spend the budgeted money, far from the start of the new budget.

Again it doesn't make sense from a financial point of view, like zero. And those frenzy started only for a misinterpretation of the law on who is in charge to do the Report: the Burgermeister and not the Minister, the Civil Service and not the Government.

However: do you all want so desperately the law to provide for a financial report made before the election? I could accept that only if it's an addition to the report made before the next budget.

Two Reports: A preliminary report before the election (to discover that we only spent few bucks) and a final report (which includes the preliminary) before the budget but detached from it: published by the Burgermeister before the first Clark and not attached to the Budget.

Because, again, the latter one is the only one that makes sense from an accounting point (because it covers from one budget to the other) view and that is needed also for the new Government to draft the new budget.

(Actually to make total sense it should be issued immediately after the approval of the Budget to cover revenues/expenses up to the day before the next budget comes in force. If we take this road there should be 3 Reports: one final and two preliminaries).

It only requires a little more work from the Burgermeister, but having preliminaries reports to be included in the final one halves the work for the final report. And frankly we don't move much money, so the work is limited anyway.

What the Burgermeister think of this?

If this compromise satisfies everyone, I'll hopper a new bill. It requires a little more changes in different part of the lexh, and I can't quite frankly vote for those whereases.
But I'd love to have you as cosponsor.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Well, the actual whole point is realizing that it doesn't make sense to report on our financial state right after elections.  Money is almost never spent in the interim period except on emergencies or scheduled items, so why are we settling accounts after that, rather than in the useful time where it will be visibly linked to the probity and activity of a government?  It's not transparent and it's not useful.

So I think you're largely wrong, but it would seem make sense to require a supplementary report included with the budget, detailing any further expenditures, if any, and providing new final figures in such a case.  @Tric'hard Lenxheir , would you be open to adding that to your bill?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein